C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What chemical do you use to clean the two tail pipe tips that actually get dirty?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 11:25 PM
gixxerbill
Race Director

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts
Default What chemical do you use to clean the two tail pipe tips that actually get dirty?

Never need to clean the inside ones. So what do you use?
Old 09-13-2014, 12:01 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by gixxerbill
Never need to clean the inside ones. So what do you use?
I spray wheel cleaner in them when I do the wheels. They come out clean!
Old 09-13-2014, 12:03 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

Why would you bother? Its normal for a car that is driven.

Bill
Old 09-13-2014, 12:04 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 935 Likes on 489 Posts
Tech Contributor

.clean em all with a good metal polish, mothers makes good stuff....
Old 09-13-2014, 07:43 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I'll tell you why we bother. Because it looks a thousand times better when the tips are chrome and not all dirty and black. They came from the factory chrome, so why would you want them black and dirty? That's akin to not cleaning the brake dust off a set of chrome wheels, just because it's "normal for a car that is driven" or not washing the car at all because it's normal to get dirty.

I just cleaned the dirty black exhaust tips on my C6 with some metal polish and it made a world of difference in the appearance of my car.

Plus, if only two of the four tips on the C7 are actually getting dirty and the others are staying clean, that's even more reason to take pride in the appearance of your car and keep it consistent.

Sorry I'm sounding so harsh here, but it just seems odd that you would question why Corvette owners would want to keep something on their car clean. You've been here long enough that you should already know the answer to your question.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:58 AM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

We bought some stainless steel wipes for our kitchen appliances and I used those.

I've used other cleaners and they get them clean but for some reason after using the wipes the carbon does not stick to them anymore.

Been 3 weeks and still perfectly clean.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:01 AM
earlszr1
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
I'll tell you why we bother. Because it looks a thousand times better when the tips are chrome and not all dirty and black. They came from the factory chrome, so why would you want them black and dirty? That's akin to not cleaning the brake dust off a set of chrome wheels, just because it's "normal for a car that is driven" or not washing the car at all because it's normal to get dirty.

I just cleaned the dirty black exhaust tips on my C6 with some metal polish and it made a world of difference in the appearance of my car.

Plus, if only two of the four tips on the C7 are actually getting dirty and the others are staying clean, that's even more reason to take pride in the appearance of your car and keep it consistent.

Sorry I'm sounding so harsh here, but it just seems odd that you would question why Corvette owners would want to keep something on their car clean. You've been here long enough that you should already know the answer to your question.
Right on the mark! Hate to see dirty exhaust tips, my inside ones never get dirty just outside ones
Old 09-13-2014, 08:04 AM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I use bug and tar cleaner to remove the black, wipes off easy. Then simichrome polish.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:09 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,307 Likes on 13,978 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I use Mothers polish on my Corsa exhaust. Keeps it looking good.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:16 AM
plasboy
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by NoOne
We bought some stainless steel wipes for our kitchen appliances and I used those.

I've used other cleaners and they get them clean but for some reason after using the wipes the carbon does not stick to them anymore.

That makes sense, most of those are supposed to resist finger prints and such. Must work on carbon too.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:21 AM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman

Agree generally with your comments - but maybe try some decaf tomorrow AM.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:32 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

that is very interesting. wonder what they have in them that is so different from other cleaners/polishes, etc.?
Old 09-13-2014, 08:35 AM
red63vette
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Simichrone. Best stuff out there for tail pipes.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:36 AM
NoOne
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AORoads
that is very interesting. wonder what they have in them that is so different from other cleaners/polishes, etc.?
Not sure but these are them:

http://www.affresh.com/our_products/...cleaning_wipes
Old 09-13-2014, 08:51 AM
Bill Baird
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I'll have to give those a try, I've not thought of using something like that. Thanks for that idea!

I've usually just used a window cleaner to clean the exhaust tips, and if there is something on there that won't come off with the window cleaner, I'll use a metal polish. Simichrome is the best metal polish that I've come across, though I'll typically use my "lesser" metal polishes on the exhaust tips.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:57 AM
Thepiazza
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I've just been spraying them down with Fantastic. Every now and then I may hit them with my golf club brush. The soft bristle side of corse.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:02 AM
Old Boot
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
.clean em all with a good metal polish, mothers makes good stuff....
then a Mothers ball on a drill , look like new till I head down the road again

Get notified of new replies

To What chemical do you use to clean the two tail pipe tips that actually get dirty?

Old 09-13-2014, 09:03 AM
Pocket Aces
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
So why bother even washing your car or making your bed or brushing your teeth. Good approach to life.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:15 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,929 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Mothers chrome polish does a nice job, followed with a bit of detail spray of your choice.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:22 AM
NoOne
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Bill Baird
I'll have to give those a try, I've not thought of using something like that. Thanks for that idea!

I've usually just used a window cleaner to clean the exhaust tips, and if there is something on there that won't come off with the window cleaner, I'll use a metal polish. Simichrome is the best metal polish that I've come across, though I'll typically use my "lesser" metal polishes on the exhaust tips.
For the 6-7 dollar they cost work pretty well.

I got them at Best Buy when we bought our new fridge.

Quick Reply: What chemical do you use to clean the two tail pipe tips that actually get dirty?