Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 C7 Engine Damage

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 08:08 AM
F7addict
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would be my mission to dump the car under the lemon law. I'd try another one though. I agree with the person who stated issues are inevitable with a certain percentage of merchandise produced. Id want a fresh new vette. Best of luck to the op.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:39 AM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 777vetter
I was asked to repost my final resolution because everyone got out of hand on the original post. Not trying to stir things up. Just informing others (hopefully not needed) if they land in my position.

Before I say all of this I love my car. This is my second Corvette and I saved over 3 years to trade my old one in for this one. It was a great car. It kills me to even write this one.

Aug 18th:
I was driving my new 2014 C7 convertible to work and I heard a squeal and a large pop. I was on the interstate with the engine turning less than 1800 RPMs. The engine went dead and the car left me stranded on the side of the road. The car was broke in properly. This car was only 3 months old with 3,645 miles. It was never tracked or run hard. For that matter it never was parked outside.

Aug 25th: The reason for the motor failure was due to one or maybe two spun rod bearings. The dealer called me and says that they are replacing the crankshaft, #6 rod, and all of the bearings. There should be no reason to have this type of heart transplant on a new car. I really did not know how they will clear out all of contamination from the motor and pumps.

Sept 15th:
Dealer got all of the parts and started to tear down the motor. Found #5 cylinder was damaged due to rod bearing issue. Dealer was told to replace the engine.

Sept 22:
GM Tech is getting the motor back for analysis. Said they had to find out the cause. They told the dealer to replace all parts that carry or hold oil. All lines, housings, pumps etc..

Should have a complete new engine from the factory. Thank goodness. I was very uncomfortable with them rebuilding the bottom of the motor and the possible debris in the pump or other parts of the motor.

My actions:
Called the 1-800 GM service and I was told someone would call in 72 hours. That did not happen.
After a week, I wrote an email to GM VP of operations and 5 days latter finally got a response. I got a case number. 1-1355983944.
Called back but they did not back down from rebuilding the bottom of my motor in a car with 3,600 miles. Really was not comfortable with it.
Got lucky with the cylinder damage. Getting complete new motor. GM finally stepped up.

My mistake:
I took the car to a dealer that was close thinking it was simple issue. My original dealer I purchased the parts was not interested in helping with someone else's service work. The new dealer service center was going to fix only what GM said to. Nobody was fighting for me or addressing my contamination concerns. I was lucky there was cylinder wall damage and GM finally told them to replace everything.

I would take it back to my purchasing dealer if I had it to do over. I just thought it would be something simple. I think I would have got more support from that dealer to GM. GM was listening to dealer service but not listening to me.

Car is going to be done for about 45 days or more. But at least I will have a new motor. I can only hope I do not have residual installation issues. I wonder if it can be a collector being assembled in Memphis. Hopefully I will have some top down weather left this season.

Hope no one else has to go through this but if you do maybe it will help another Vette owner.
no more matching #'s good luck with it
Old 09-23-2014, 09:56 AM
cb98coupe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lastcowboy
no more matching #'s good luck with it
matching numbers don't mean sh*t .
Old 09-23-2014, 10:27 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Talk with your dealer and trade it on another. Now or after the repair. The car will never feel the same to you so why keep it.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:45 AM
LHarper
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by barryh
Did I read this right -- it's going to take ANOTHER 45 days to fix your car?

GM should give you a new car, IMHO. A car that blows up and is out of commission for 2.5+ months is a lemon in my book.

My profession is in manufacturing (not automobile-related), with a focus on quality and reliability. There will always be defects and escapes from the factory, and based on what I've read here in the forum, the C7 has a generally high level of quality for a new and complex product, such that it is. But when the inevitable happens and an unlucky customer receives a bad unit, the company should not punish the customer by depriving him use of the product for which he has paid. The product should be replaced and the defective product taken back for failure analysis and future corrective action.

Disclosure: I've been a Corvette owner for all of 3 weeks and 650 miles, and I'm loving every minute of it! I would be livid if my new car, which I'd saved for years to purchase, blew up and I couldn't drive it for months and months because it was clearly defective from the factory.

I am not a GM hater, but I am certainly hating the way GM is treating OP in this unfortunate circumstance.
I totally agree with you. Thank you OP for the update and sorry for the problems.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:01 AM
Jimbob26
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

Sorry OP, nobody wants to have to endure what you are going through. I hope your problem is resolved and you are trouble-free going forward.

IMO, these cars are tough. Chevy has sold 40,000 of these and ahwile there have been a few problems (some some serious than others), generally the reports are of trouble-free cars. Having just returned from Ron Fellows/Spring Mountain, I know that these cars are built to be driven hard and keep on delivering. We were told there that they generally keep the cars for 10-12,000 miles then sell them to a SoCal dealer for resale. Full disclosure. And I asked them if they had experienced any problems with the cars, and the answer was that these new C7s were/are extremely reliable. As hard as we pushed those cars, I am convinced any design defect would manifest at the driving school, but none have.

Again, OP - I feel for you and wish you success in getting resolution.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:20 AM
richie15
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
Engine failures seem to be more common lately with certain models of Corvettes. GM needs to work on their quality before I would consider buying another car from them.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:42 AM
Jack Be Quick Racing
Pro

Location: Detroit area and Nashville area What day is it? Between MI & TN
Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts

I am glad that it's not a replace and repair on existing engine and you are getting a new one. Short of a buy back or a replacement car, this is the best option available to give you peace of mind going forward.

Given the total number of days the car is out of service, I would think there is some sort of offset that you should be getting there also to make you 'whole' again. The new engine was not a 'gift', it was the cheapest way to complete the required warranty work.

It would be hard to not press upon the lemon law avenue and push for a buy back or replacement. In the end, I guess you just want what you thought you were buying in the first place and that's what is most important to you, however that is achieved.

Best of luck.

Mine gets built next week.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:48 AM
777vetter
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by blasted_concrete
Can I ask a question here? Are you a Z51 car? Been trying to put my head around this rod/main bearing issue. Not trying to stir a fuss, just narrow down which cars have issues. I am a wet sump non Z car. What is your car?
My car is a Z51, automatic (only way I could get my wife to approve it) convertible.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:48 AM
Bigredwing
Melting Slicks

Received 425 Likes on 301 Posts

I wonder if it can be a collector being assembled in Memphis.
Yes! I think that is the ultra rare Elvis Commemorative Edition.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:50 PM
lgodom
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 208 Posts

My car is a Z51, automatic (only way I could get my wife to approve it) convertible.
From reading this post I assume you live in the Memphis area, but purchased the car from an out of state dealer? Do you believe the dealer who's repairing your car wasn't willing to push for an engine replacement at first since you purchased the car elsewhere? I'm asking because I live in the Memphis area, but to get a reasonable price I'll likely have to purchase out of state with one of the forum dealers.

Can you PM me the dealer's name who's making the repairs?

I hope the new engine is perfect and I'm thinking there will be some nice top-down days left here.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:07 PM
blasted_concrete
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the response! Best of luck moving forward. Hope it all works out for you.

~BC
Old 09-23-2014, 07:28 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
What???!!! GM is (finally) doing what's right with him and replacing the entire motor, oil lines, etc. and you think he should fight them for a new car? That makes zero sense.

Most lemon laws require multiple failures and trips for repair. One failure that's fixed doesn't invoke a lemon law, that's what warranties are for.
Wrong. Literally EVERY lemon law has a "30 day out of service" clause that over-rides everything (some states are 20 days).

I would lemon law this car so fast it would make your head spin. GM needs to stop saying they are the "New" GM and start acting like it. The OP's car should already be back on the road...(GM's foot dragging SHOULD cost them the lemon law buy back).

Jimmy

Last edited by jimmyb; 09-23-2014 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:31 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Be Quick Racing
I am glad that it's not a replace and repair on existing engine and you are getting a new one. Short of a buy back or a replacement car, this is the best option available to give you peace of mind going forward.

Given the total number of days the car is out of service, I would think there is some sort of offset that you should be getting there also to make you 'whole' again. The new engine was not a 'gift', it was the cheapest way to complete the required warranty work.

It would be hard to not press upon the lemon law avenue and push for a buy back or replacement. In the end, I guess you just want what you thought you were buying in the first place and that's what is most important to you, however that is achieved.

Best of luck.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:51 PM
TulsaVette
Safety Car

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

A guy I work with purchased a 2014 Stingray shortly after they came out. He recently had to have the motor replaced replaced also. There were some other issues he had with the car and last week traded it on a 2014 Porsche 911. He said they gave him fair money for the Vet and took $20K off the sticker of the 911 which listed at $123K.

The sad thing for him is that he has owned several Corvettes and thought he was a lifetime Vet owner. He said too many problems for him and went another direction. Not bashing, I'm guessing less than 1% have had problems, just relating why GM lost another customer.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:59 PM
Brunotheboxer
Instructor

No way in hell I'd accept such a new low mileage car with a replaced engine. Resale will be destroyed it's not a numbers matching car anymore not to mention you will be back and forth to dealer many many times I guarantee it.

If the engine in my Shelby grenaded that would be the end of the car for me. I would never trust GM and their unreliable vehicles. Good luck op.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:15 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

wow what an ordeal you have to go through just to get something fixed anymore

Get notified of new replies

To 2014 C7 Engine Damage

Old 09-24-2014, 10:52 AM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by themonk
45 days to install a motor, that's not a bad turn around......

Glad you got it sorted out.
Seriously? I would be embarassed if I took that long to replace a customer's engine. Typically we do not have cars for more than 10-15 days to perform a warranty engine replacement.

We had an early C7 crap an engine and the car was in and out with a brand new engine in 3 weeks. That was 4 months ago, when parts were much harder to get.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:04 AM
Dan12
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
Seriously? I would be embarassed if I took that long to replace a customer's engine. Typically we do not have cars for more than 10-15 days to perform a warranty engine replacement.

We had an early C7 crap an engine and the car was in and out with a brand new engine in 3 weeks. That was 4 months ago, when parts were much harder to get.
Another one? and one more mentioned 4 posts above? Wish we knew why they failed and how many.

Last edited by Dan12; 09-24-2014 at 11:08 AM.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:07 AM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06

I have to agree...

It sounds like they plan to work on the car in spare time... keep the OP waiting while other customers get prompt service. Otherwise, assuming they could get all the necessary parts, it should be done in 5 work days---if they put a mechanic on it full time instead of part time.

Quick Reply: 2014 C7 Engine Damage