Sponsored by:

C7 Engine Noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 01:56 PM
bitt47
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C7 Engine Noise

My 2014 C7 has developed a engine noise that sounds like a bad bearing in a alternator or water pump. My Vette convertible has the Z51 and Performance Exhaust pkg's. Current milage is 1,900. The noise can be heard with engine hot or just after starting. Turning off A/C and Performance Exhaust makes no difference. Noise does not change with RPM so it would appear to not be the new variable valve system. There are no dashboard warnings nor error checks per my Chevy dealer who is scratching his head over what it could be. No GM service advisories, etc.
can be found. The noise is somewhat new as it was not there when I took Museum delivery and miles added since. It appears to not be the dry sump which bulletins say can be noisy.

Anyone experience this and what the cause was ??? Thanx.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:04 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Everything I can think of would change with rpm or amount of air flowing in the intake system. Even exhaust flow changes with power added or subtracted. You say it is like a howl, how loud? Does it start immediately when the engine starts or take a minute or so to develop. Only thing I can think of is something electrical that as current is applied resonates a frequency that sounds like a howl. That would not change with engine power/rpm change. Take a large screwdriver and use it as a stethoscope by holding the screw tip on engine components and placing your ear near/on the handle. Yea, sounds odd, it really works! Maybe you can narrow the sound down to an engine component.

Last edited by Larry/car; 10-03-2014 at 06:14 PM.
Old 10-04-2014, 05:57 PM
bitt47
Navigator

Originally Posted by Larry/car
Everything I can think of would change with rpm or amount of air flowing in the intake system. Even exhaust flow changes with power added or subtracted. You say it is like a howl, how loud? Does it start immediately when the engine starts or take a minute or so to develop. Only thing I can think of is something electrical that as current is applied resonates a frequency that sounds like a howl. That would not change with engine power/rpm change. Take a large screwdriver and use it as a stethoscope by holding the screw tip on engine components and placing your ear near/on the handle. Yea, sounds odd, it really works! Maybe you can narrow the sound down to an engine component.
The noise is heard at idle. Either right after a cold start or after any trip distance with engine hot. It is a rhythmic mechanical noise that sounds like a bad alternator or water pump from my decades of automotive experience. I did use a auto stethoscope topside around engine cavity and found no localization for noise source. You can hear it up to 100 feet away. It appears that the front wheel wells act like a megaphone to project out. I have attached a mp3 file of the noise recording. You will hear it distinctly on top of the base engine idle sound.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3
C7EngineNoise.mp3 (1.24 MB, 493 views)
Old 10-04-2014, 09:19 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by bitt47
The noise is heard at idle. Either right after a cold start or after any trip distance with engine hot. It is a rhythmic mechanical noise that sounds like a bad alternator or water pump from my decades of automotive experience. I did use a auto stethoscope topside around engine cavity and found no localization for noise source. You can hear it up to 100 feet away. It appears that the front wheel wells act like a megaphone to project out. I have attached a mp3 file of the noise recording. You will hear it distinctly on top of the base engine idle sound.
My iPad will not play your recording. When you put your stethoscope on the engine block, -are all the inner workings, bearings etc., sounding normal?
Old 10-04-2014, 09:42 PM
bitt47
Navigator

Works fine on my iPad. Was recorded off my iPhone.
Make sure volume is all the up ?
Old 10-11-2014, 03:35 PM
petr0lb0mb
Cruising

The mp3 file will not play on my macbook using itunes, quicktime or VLC.

I have a C5 with 50k miles which makes a sound like a bad alternator bearing or PS pump bearing. When I cold start the car, the sound is not there and then abruptly appears after about 45 seconds or so. I' going to start my own thread in the C5 forum but since I recorded the sound, I thought that it might help if it sounds like yours does.

Good luck!
Old 10-11-2014, 06:15 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,400 Likes on 1,365 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Your attachment is NOT an MP3. In fact, Goldwave can't figure out exactly WHAT it is
Old 10-12-2014, 12:03 AM
Skidplate
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 207 Likes on 122 Posts

......... I have attached a mp3 file of the noise recording. You will hear it distinctly on top of the base engine idle sound.
My PC does not recognize nor can it play the file.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:15 AM
Old Yellow
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Skidplate
My PC does not recognize nor can it play the file.
Ditto on Windows Media Player.

Ed
Old 10-12-2014, 02:49 AM
jpshark
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have attached a mp3 file of the noise recording. You will hear it distinctly on top of the base engine idle sound.
Your mp3 works on my iMac perfectly. Sounds like something is rubbing with crankshaft rotation. My 2012 Grand Sport had to have the harmonic pulley replaced at around 2000 miles due to a similar sound, only when cold though. The good news is your engine makes all the other noises normally associated with the LT1 series. My 2014 Z51 LT1 engine makes more noise than any other GM motor I've ever had!
Old 10-12-2014, 10:16 AM
paul 56
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a loud, grinding sound coming from the aft part of the engine, and I could only hear it at idle. It ended up being a bad torque tube. After the torque tube was replaced I no longer heard the sound.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:17 PM
777vetter
Heel & Toe

Mine was one that had a rod bearing issue. I heard a small very faint chirping sounds (like an alternator bearing sound) before it complete went out. Started for a couple of days and then it died. It was very faint and I was surprised when it did go out. The noise was inconsistent of RPMs, gears, etc..I have a 2014 convertible Z51 auto.
I listened to your audio but did not hear anything that sounded like it. But I was thinking alternator bearing when I heard mine. Hope it is nothing for you.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Engine Noise

Quick Reply: C7 Engine Noise