Sponsored by:

Drove 8 speed auto

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 04:54 PM
ncrowe
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Drove 8 speed auto

okay - my arctic white M7 2014 c7 was wrecked - I removed the post earlier until the insurance company settles.

I wanted to check out the A8 and I'm impressed. I like it better than the stick for a couple of reasons: off the line it will smoke the M7, paddle shifting where I live is easier than shifting gears (hills and bends combined) - taking a hand off the wheel can get hairy in certain spots.

I was expecting to not be impressed - I love the M7, but it has always been a little clunky and notchy since I got the car. I added a shifter, etc, but the smoothness of the auto when you want it, and the quick shifting when you want it without having to think about it is nice.

Now the question is do I order or look for one?
Old 10-11-2014, 05:02 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Why did you have to delete your previous post?

I'd order a car to fit your exact wants.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:03 PM
theanswriz42
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08, '15

I think you'll find inventories to be low, but if you can find a car equipped exactly the way you want it, I don't know why you wouldn't buy it off the lot.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:04 PM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

Ordering gets you exactly what YOU want. Buying off the lot usually means paying for some things you really didn't want.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:10 PM
LukeAnakin
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to drive the A8.
Though, I'm hesitant, since I fear I'll like it and I already purchased the 2014 with an A6.

LA
Old 10-11-2014, 06:11 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by WelderGuy
Ordering gets you exactly what YOU want. Buying off the lot usually means paying for some things you really didn't want.
Ordering allows you to get what GM will allow you to configure--which is a far cry what what you may actually want......
Old 10-11-2014, 06:19 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Order one exactly how you want and all will be perfect in your world.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:37 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by OriginalCFmember
Sure. Off the line, the A8 is strong due to the aggressive gearing.
But, after testing the A8 for myself, the delay when manually shifting is terrible. I highly recommend anyone that is able to shift for themselves skip the A8 and choose the 7spd stick.
How it is if you just leave it in auto mode?

I still like rowing my own gears, makes me feel like I'm actually driving the car...
Old 10-11-2014, 06:37 PM
ncrowe
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

But, after testing the A8 for myself, the delay when manually shifting is terrible. I highly recommend anyone that is able to shift for themselves skip the A8 and choose the 7spd stick.
I have to tell you I didn't notice that at all, but I did insist on driving a z51. The downshifts were instant, the upshifts were as well. If you are casually driving, yes it does not respond quickly, but that can easily be adjusted with putting the car in track mode and then it's pdk quick.

I'm impressed to say the least. Coming from the M7 its hard for me to disagree with the fun factor of a manual, but this is not a boring auto, and I can see having just as much fin with this.

on the test drive I went through some turns and hills and wrong gear in my M7 meant switching with one hand off the wheel, left foot, and finding my gear - with the A8 - 2 clicks - right gear right rpm - this thing will blow away the M7 on the track

I did also notice the car I tested ran MUCH cooler than mine - 195 degrees and oil never got over 200 - on mine I would routinely see 220 degrees and over 200 for oil.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:52 PM
Corvette03051
Melting Slicks

Received 416 Likes on 220 Posts

Default A8

My input is simple. A manual offers the driver the nuances associated with
driver initiated controls. The automatic thinks for you and is indeed faster
when left in drive eliminating driver input. The auto does not replace the manual and is a completely different experience. Decide which experience you want and make a choice. I own a new 8 speed and from my limited experience the paddle shifters are fine to use when you are driving in a a spirited run. Use the D when on the track. Wish I could own a 7 speed and an automatic.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:11 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I haven't driven an A8, nor probably ever will but I can say this, M7 with Rev Match on, I love it, always in the upper torque curve when up shifting so it's always pulling and when downshifting, even when not "racing", with the NPP the sound is great.

Get what you like, enjoy it and be happy.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:26 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by ncrowe
I have to tell you I didn't notice that at all, but I did insist on driving a z51. The downshifts were instant, the upshifts were as well. If you are casually driving, yes it does not respond quickly, but that can easily be adjusted with putting the car in track mode and then it's pdk quick.

I'm impressed to say the least. Coming from the M7 its hard for me to disagree with the fun factor of a manual, but this is not a boring auto, and I can see having just as much fin with this.

on the test drive I went through some turns and hills and wrong gear in my M7 meant switching with one hand off the wheel, left foot, and finding my gear - with the A8 - 2 clicks - right gear right rpm - this thing will blow away the M7 on the track

I did also notice the car I tested ran MUCH cooler than mine - 195 degrees and oil never got over 200 - on mine I would routinely see 220 degrees and over 200 for oil.
Thank you for your insight. This guy your. Responding to is in every thread telling us the A8 blows.

I rather like your insights of your driving experience and believe the A8 is impressive. Thanks for taking the time to communicate your impression.

I've been driving manuals for over 35 years including my present corvette.

Still the reports of the jaguar f type A8 and how well it compares to Porsches PDK leads me to believe the 8L90 is as good or better.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:34 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

So, according to you there are about 20,000+ C7 A6 and A8 owners who all made a terrible decision when choosing the Auto, because there is a terrible delay when shifting?

You mean we're all experiencing this terrible delay while the all the Manual owners, who made such a great decision, are experiencing all the spoils that accompany no delay when shifting?

Wow, I feel so awful now about my $57,000 decision. I'm going to sell the car tomorrow and shoot myself.

Thank you for enlightening all 20,000+ of us.

Maybe you should organize a meeting somewhere where you can tell hundreds of A6/A8 owners right to their face.

Last edited by RedC7AZ; 10-11-2014 at 08:37 PM.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:38 PM
HogwildC7
Melting Slicks

Received 132 Likes on 97 Posts

I have the A8 and had a A6 2014. The A8 is much better and really smooth. But the car seems to want to take off when putting in drive.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:47 PM
lgodom
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 208 Posts

Thanks for your review of the 8 speed. Its a must have for me and I look forward to driving one. As far as ordering vs buying from dealer stock, unless you can buy from one of the larger forum dealers it may be hard to find a car with the exact options you want. Most dealers in my area will load up dealer orders with options to make more money. The C7 is too expensive to not get one the way you want it and since you have one you know it's worth the wait.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:02 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Not necessary. They already accept a transmission that is lethargic shifting when self shifting and have lower standards than manual Corvette owners.
My warnings are only for the manual transmission owners that have been led to believe by GM that the A8 will offer a manual/PDK experience.
It does NOT. The A8 is terrible when manually shifting.
Awesome!! Lethargic too? Why I never knew. Surely, EVERYONE isn't aware of this. Let's get ya' set up for that meet n' greet with a huge group of C7 auto owners so you can tell them all to their face YOU THINK they have a "lethargic transmission". This is just too important for everyone to miss, and would make for some great entertainment at your expense, don't you think?

Last edited by RedC7AZ; 10-11-2014 at 09:04 PM.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:07 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Just came back from another fun filled drive. When the drive is more fun than the function attending, that really says something about the C7. I like the M7 because it is fun to shift and select the best gear for the task at hand. Yes the A6/8 are faster, the manual is more fun.

Get notified of new replies

To Drove 8 speed auto

Old 10-11-2014, 09:40 PM
F7addict
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what it's worth I don't see how someone's opinion on a cars transmission can be taken personally. Imo as long as everyone's cars are running well automatic or not great. It's not a competition.

Last edited by F7addict; 10-11-2014 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:46 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

Not necessary. They already accept a transmission that is lethargic when self shifting and have lower standards than manual Corvette owners.
My warnings are only for the manual transmission owners that have been led by GM to believe by that the A8 will offer a manual/PDK experience.
Can you please stop? There's only three possibilities for your continued statements:
1. You drove a malfunctioning A8
2. You are intentionally repeating false information
3. You are clueless

Tell me which one. Could be a combination or all of the above.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:49 PM
BRCC
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Not necessary. They already accept a transmission that is lethargic when self shifting and have lower standards than manual Corvette owners.
My warnings are only for the manual transmission owners that have been led by GM to believe by that the A8 will offer a manual/PDK experience.
And from what experience do you have this knowledge? Take the A8 or A6 to the higher RPM ranges when shifting and it's very quick, as fast or faster than the manual. Oh you just joined this month so I assume you haven't seen any reviews on the A8 yet.

Or is Jay Davis's statement under his third item correct.

Last edited by BRCC; 10-11-2014 at 09:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Drove 8 speed auto