Sponsored by:

Touch up paint or professional?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 09:52 PM
arcticZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Touch up paint or professional?

I was removing replacing my stock chrome crossed flag emblems tonight with the oem black ones and went a bit too far with the plastic tool I was using to get leverage under it. I ended up nicking the paint. Unfortunately the emblem doesn't cover it and I'm tasked with the wonderful duty of trying to get it fixed. Yay me!

Something so small (smaller than a grain of rice) you'd think touch-up paint right? However I've never had good results with touch up paint- it doesn't even include clear. Plus the paint around it looks loose. It's hard to describe, maybe it needs to be lightly sanded first.

Do you think this job can be handled with standard auto touch-up or do you feel this should be taken to a body shop and handled professionally even in spite of it's small size? Thanks in advance everyone!
Attached Images  
Old 11-05-2014, 09:56 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 935 Likes on 489 Posts
Tech Contributor

Based on your own admission that you do not well with touch up paint, id take it in.

You should never need a trim tool with a de badge....just fishing line.

I really wish people would give the goo gone time to work. These badges fall off with a 45 min soak with goo gone....
Old 11-05-2014, 10:01 PM
arcticZ51
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Glen e
Based on your own admission that you do not well with touch up paint, id take it in.

You should never need a trim tool with a de badge....just fishing line.

I really wish people would give the goo gone time to work. These badges fall off with a 45 min soak with goo gone....
I couldn't get the line in any of the top corners only the very bottom corner which would stop me once I got to about mid way on the emblem. So I used a trim puller tool (nylon wedge to get some leverage)...but yes it was a mistake.

I ended up soaking them in WD40 (I'm all out of goo gone) *because of your suggestion in fact- TY!* and it did make it come off a lot easier. Not quite fall off but once it started to peel it came off and left no tape. Just a little bit of glue residue.

If I'm careful with touch up do you think this can be adequately covered permanently? If not what would you venture to guess a body shop would charge for such a small touch up (if they don't laugh me back out the front door).
Old 11-05-2014, 10:08 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

Watch some you tube touch up videos, use a toothpick, not the brush, drizzle it in the ding. I can't tell you if itll be good enuf for you.....
Old 11-05-2014, 10:19 PM
Pocket Aces
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You should learn to wet sand and buff. Since arctic white is not metallic that would be an easy fix to overfill and sand down and buff to where no one would see it. Unless you know how to wet sand and buff don't try it because you will make it worse most likely.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:21 PM
Pocket Aces
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would just do what glen recommended and then put the badge back on. It would be impossible for anyone to see. Only you would ever know. If you live in North TX I would help you with it for free. Hopefully someone in NJ can help.

Last edited by Pocket Aces; 11-05-2014 at 10:26 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:41 PM
docf
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Order Dr. Color Chip. Easy to use and hard to mess up. Results are usually very good. It looks like your badge will cover most of it and should be easy to do.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:14 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Dr ColorChip is your friend.

It will not be noticeable (in this situation) when you put the new flags on.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:36 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Default This is a tragedy of epic proportions...

I'd sell it and order a new one.
But that's just me.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:43 PM
zbrett
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Crossed Flags Fan
But that's just me.
LOL, that is me. I hated giving up my C6, but I was happy to get rid of all the giant (but only in my mind) imperfections that had accumulated over the years.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:44 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by Crossed Flags Fan
But that's just me.
There's always a funny one in the bunch.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:50 PM
arcticZ51
Burning Brakes

Thanks folks!

My obsessiveness is really debilitating. I'll vacillate over this until it's fixed. I'm odd like that.

People like me shouldn't be into cars. Glutton for punishment.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:26 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,929 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Originally Posted by docf
Order Dr. Color Chip. Easy to use and hard to mess up. Results are usually very good. It looks like your badge will cover most of it and should be easy to do.
I agree and if you are not satisfied then you can have a pro fix it. But having used Dr color chip myself I think you will be satisfied with your results.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:44 PM
arcticZ51
Burning Brakes

I ended up ordering arctic white touch-up from WCC and spoke to a few local body shops. The way I decided to go is bring it to them- do a light wet-sand (to get rid of the flaky lifted paint around the nick), apply the paint to built it up, re-wet sand and polish. Even if this costs me $100 (not counting touch-up paint) it's worth it to me. Otherwise I'll have to repaint the entire bumper. Which, even by my obsessive standards, is excessive.

I already had to order another front badge because I applied a bit off-center last night.... sooo I'm convinced I'm incompetent. (ps is there a method to applying these perfectly?)

Thank you all for the insight. I greatly appreciate the camaraderie.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:58 PM
lgodom
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by arcticZ51
Thanks folks!

My obsessiveness is really debilitating. I'll vacillate over this until it's fixed. I'm odd like that.

People like me shouldn't be into cars. Glutton for punishment.
You have more company than most would admit on a car forum. No one wants to damage the paint on their new car. Good luck with the repair.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:36 PM
jdog0411
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I also had trouble with the fishing line on these emblems..the way they sit in an indentation along with the thick double sided foam/adhesive backing, it was next to impossible to get the line all the way through cleanly.

I used a plastic trim tool as well, but luckily didn't damage the paint.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:38 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by jdog0411
I also had trouble with the fishing line on these emblems..the way they sit in an indentation along with the thick double sided foam/adhesive backing, it was next to impossible to get the line all the way through cleanly.

I used a plastic trim tool as well, but luckily didn't damage the paint.
again, the line is no problem getting it under AFTER you have soaked it for 30 min and can pull up the flag a bit with your fingernail....PLEASE don't use a trim tool....and this is the stuff to use... it will cut thru anything including your hands... be careful...I've cut badges off with just this, and no solvent!

Last edited by Glen e; 11-06-2014 at 01:45 PM.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:00 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

Bite the bullet.Should have A qualified shop do EVERYTHING.Ya paid big bucks for the car.
Spend more getting it like Ya want.So what I'm saying is take it to A qualified body shop.
Stop cutting corners.
Not trying to be negative.With an expensive car that's what I do.Good Luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Touch up paint or professional?

Quick Reply: Touch up paint or professional?