Sponsored by:

Toll tag location

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 10:17 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,929 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Originally Posted by C7Joy
My NY tag is huge and white of all things. Why white? Why make it so it destroys the look from the front? No way I am going to stick that thing on my windshield. I keep it in the glove box and just hold it up there at the toll gates.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:27 PM
ffamousamos
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldfalguy
I am just now facing this question of placement (or not to place it at all)
I also have a blend mount so can't put it behind the mirror unless I put a good portion of it under the blacked out area. Will it work in the black area?
How do yawl velcro them> use the little velcro dots. What you blacken/paint your tags with?
Most of the tollways around Austin drive thru without any drop down gates to open- There are some of those around Houston but rare.
Like the idea under the hood liner if that works.
I ended up placing mine behind the registration amd inspection sticker with some scoth tape. You can't see it at all. Now with the TX law changing to one sticker (No inspection Sticker) I will have to see what it looks like hidden behind just the registration sticker.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:36 PM
Allpro
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Behind the screen for the nav/radio screen,you never have to take it out because it is
read unless you cover it with the silver cover they send it out in when you first get it.
I have ezpass,try it if you have ezpass and see if it is read when hidden.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:44 AM
oldvette343
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ffamousamos
Any ideas on toll tag location? NTTA uses a large sticker that really distracts from the look of my AW C7.
I hate the look of the sticker on my front windshield, so today I put it at the top of my rear hatch. You can not see it since that is the darken area but sits on top pointing straight up. I will test it soon to see if it gets read when I go under the toll road reader.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:53 AM
drs
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 278 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by TScottTX
It's more than just the little chip you can feel through the covering; much of the sticker area contains antenna.
You're right. I pulled just the RFID chip out of one my tags and could never get it to read. I then tried cutting down the edges on a different tag to see if I could get a smaller footprint and could not get it to read either. Basically if you physically alter the tag's dimensions at all, it will no longer read correctly. I finally put an intact tag just above the inspection sticker. Since Texas is going to just the one consolidated registration/inspection sticker, it seems to be the least offensive location.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:09 AM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I ordered a tag and put it in the upper left hand corner of the windshield. It's behind the rear view mirror in my other cars, but that wouldn't work with the PDR. It took me about two months to get around to ordering the tag and I'd driven on TX 45 and 130 a couple of times. The tolls for both trips showed up on my account because of the license plate I guess. Now I wonder if you even need the tag if you have a TXTAG account.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:10 AM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Originally Posted by oldvette343
I hate the look of the sticker on my front windshield, so today I put it at the top of my rear hatch. You can not see it since that is the darken area but sits on top pointing straight up. I will test it soon to see if it gets read when I go under the toll road reader.
That's a great idea, hope it works.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:12 AM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Another option I considered was the motorcycle transponder. It's a small plastic box about the size of a pack of cigarettes. You could stick it under the hood and it should still work since I've put it in the fairing pocket on my Gold Wing and had no issues. You have to pay a deposit for it though.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:17 AM
ffamousamos
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I ended up placing mine behind the registration sticker using scotch tape. It's almost invisible and can be removed when the new registration needs to be applied.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:52 PM
alienranch
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

I don't have a picture handy, but simply cut a small (dime size or smaller) circle out of the sticker where the RFID tag is. You don't need the entire rectangular tag, only the transmitter which is the size of a grain of rice. Works perfectly!
Old 07-30-2015, 06:25 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Ernest_T
Another option I considered was the motorcycle transponder. It's a small plastic box about the size of a pack of cigarettes. You could stick it under the hood and it should still work since I've put it in the fairing pocket on my Gold Wing and had no issues. You have to pay a deposit for it though.
These transponders apparently don't work through the Carbon Fiber hood.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:14 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by kenrobb
Put mine to right of center up out of way.

I feel bad for you folks having to have that blue and yellow tag. PA has gone to a much smaller tag and its simply white.

I just had to replace my windshield so I have not put EZPASS back on but I put it under the mirror originally.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:29 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

I said this before. You can take your ezpass and paint it flat black. It still works and becomes invisible when stuck high up in the inner windshieldd. Why anyone would stick a white ezpass in their window is beyond me.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:34 PM
alamo1974
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt26
I let the camera pull my license plate and it charges my account. Same rate and no ugly sticker which is left in the center console.
I like what you're doing, and you have not had any problems with charging your account.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:39 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by alamo1974
I like what you're doing, and you have not had any problems with charging your account.
I don't trust PA to get this right. They already sent me a violation for a car that had an EZPASS but the battery in it went dead. Took 4 weeks to sort out. No thanks I'll stick with the ugly tag.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:58 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill17601
I said this before. You can take your ezpass and paint it flat black. It still works and becomes invisible when stuck high up in the inner windshieldd. Why anyone would stick a white ezpass in their window is beyond me.
My EZpass works just fine from inside the dash cubby, behind the screen. Don't have to stick it to my windshield at all.

Originally Posted by alamo1974
In Virginia, if you get too many occurrences where they have to bill based on your license plate, they threaten you with a fine.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:09 PM
dprestidge
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by alienranch
I don't have a picture handy, but simply cut a small (dime size or smaller) circle out of the sticker where the RFID tag is. You don't need the entire rectangular tag, only the transmitter which is the size of a grain of rice. Works perfectly!
That's incorrect. That chip is attached to an antenna that is about the size of the sticker.
I also tried to put it under hood, didn't work, don't know why.
I have put it in cubby behind nav, won't work there either, but they will check the lic plate and bill my account. Am waiting to see if they complain.

Get notified of new replies

To Toll tag location

Old 07-30-2015, 08:47 PM
Rohey
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pocket Aces
Seriously. Would at the front under the removable roof not work? It would be invisible yet still up high for the readers.
Yeah but it would mess up my drone pictures
Old 07-31-2015, 01:33 PM
alienranch
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by dprestidge
That's incorrect. That chip is attached to an antenna that is about the size of the sticker.
I also tried to put it under hood, didn't work, don't know why.
I have put it in cubby behind nav, won't work there either, but they will check the lic plate and bill my account. Am waiting to see if they complain.
Works fine for NTTA. Been using it for over 6 months in this car with no problems. Take the tollway every day.
Old 07-31-2015, 01:49 PM
CDH76
Safety Car

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Refuse to put it on my window. It sits in the hidden area until I need it. I don't get on the toll much so doesn't bother me.

Quick Reply: Toll tag location