Sponsored by:

500 Mile observations...

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 08:33 PM
Aceman
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Default 500 Mile observations...

Well – I passed my “breakin” period this weekend – 500+ miles in 2 weeks and counting! Some observations/comments

1. Styling is fantastic – GM did a great job, and i’m a fan of the rear end – I know many aren’t.

2. Handles REALLY well - I was on the fence Z51 w/ mag ride or non-Z51. I decided to go w/ Z51 w/ mag and really find myself using the drive mode **** all the time. The suspension change really changes the character of the car based on your mood/where you’re driving – its been great and I recommend it to anyone who is on the fence who can wait.

3. My C6 base (2008) and grand sport (2013) both scraped getting into/out of both my driveway & office entrance. The C7 does NOT. I’m assuming its because it doesn’t have the center plastic piece, a pleasant surprise.

4. The Z51 tires are so “sticky” I swear that car barely rolls back on slight rearward inclines!

5. Switched Accessory power in storage behind radio – that would be a nice have

6. HUD should show drive mode, flash radio presets when you go thru them, phone (like bmw does) – in general – perfect spot to show more info. It shows radio presets sometime – still messing around with it to figure out the method to that madness

7. Trunk still hard to close even with the pressurization fan/whatever they call it. Doors need a good push as well. I’m constantly finding I didn’t close the doors all the way…and the C7 windows don’t index – right?

8. drive mode **** – seems like a lot of “space” occupied to just control drive mode. Would have been nice to get some direct access buttons like bmw/audio package with their rotary selector disc instead of going thru multiple screens via touch screen – which quite frankly is VERY distracting while driving.

9. Fuel Gauge - not sure why – but my brain wants left to be empty to right being full – am I the only one?

10. How many of you C6 guys spent a few days putting it in 7th thinking you were in reverse?

11. Writing on the rear glass centered by spoiler annoys me for some reason

12. When using favorites/pressing presets directly – no HUD display of song/station but you get it when pressing the ch+ on steering wheel – and that depends on which HUD screen is up

13. Rear view mirror – its small, probably because the visibility out the rear is limited at best. I am looking into installing a rear view mirror w/ a video input so I can mount a camera in the front nose.

14. When using the favorite + / - buttons on the steering wheel, I wish they would of displayed the favorites list your paging thru on the HUD – basically keeping your eyes on the road

All in all, there is always room for improvement but this car IMO is a night/day difference from my C6…time will tell how she holds up!

Aceman
Old 11-09-2014, 09:59 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

4. Ain't the tires. Is the Hill Assist

6. It does, you just haven't been paying attention

7: C7 windows index, you just haven't been paying attention

13. Adjust your side view mirrors correctly and you'll have ZERO problems.

14. Same as #6, you just haven't been paying attention

Last edited by KenHorse; 11-09-2014 at 10:03 PM.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:10 AM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

#10 has me about to pull my hair out. Don't think I've got it right once. Granted I only have ~300 miles on it.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:11 AM
Aceman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KenHorse
4. Ain't the tires. Is the Hill Assist

6. It does, you just haven't been paying attention

7: C7 windows index, you just haven't been paying attention

13. Adjust your side view mirrors correctly and you'll have ZERO problems.

14. Same as #6, you just haven't been paying attention
#4 - Nice - didn't realize it had Hill Assist
#6 - i've yet to see eco/touring/sport/track/etc displayed on the HUD as i'm changing thru it - what / where do you see that?
#7 - went in the garage and looked at it this am, definately more subtle than the C6
#13 - i didn't have a issue w/ rear visability - was talking about going with a larger mirror
14 - you see the favorites LIST on the HUD? what/where do you see that? i only see it in the DIC in the center of the gauge cluster

thx

Aceman
Old 11-10-2014, 09:02 AM
BRCC
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Aceman
#4 - Nice - didn't realize it had Hill Assist
#6 - i've yet to see eco/touring/sport/track/etc displayed on the HUD as i'm changing thru it - what / where do you see that?
#7 - went in the garage and looked at it this am, definately more subtle than the C6
#13 - i didn't have a issue w/ rear visability - was talking about going with a larger mirror
14 - you see the favorites LIST on the HUD? what/where do you see that? i only see it in the DIC in the center of the gauge cluster

thx

Aceman
#6 actually in eco & tour the HUD only displays MPH, in Sport the HUD is a round tach, in track it's a horizontal tach. Hopefully you have set your mode linked to drive mode, they usually come from the factory linked to sport mode.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:35 AM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I put about 800 miles on mine already. Still own the C6. To add to your comments...

2. Handles REALLY well - I was on the fence Z51 w/ mag ride or non-Z51. I decided to go w/ Z51 w/ mag and really find myself using the drive mode **** all the time. The suspension change really changes the character of the car based on your mood/where you’re driving – its been great and I recommend it to anyone who is on the fence who can wait.
I agree. Those who don't feel a difference don't know handling IMO. Not trying to start a flame war but there is a distinct difference in handling characteristics, esp between tour and sport/track.

4. The Z51 tires are so “sticky” I swear that car barely rolls back on slight rearward inclines!
Hill start assist like others said. The tires are great in the corners at steady speeds. I think they are HORRIBLE for straight line acceleration or powering through a corner.

10. How many of you C6 guys spent a few days putting it in 7th thinking you were in reverse?
Try having both cars in the stable. It's an exercise of frustration I keep going wrong on the C6 mostly trying to go down and back.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:51 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

#10. That was me too! No way not to stall. LOL
Old 11-10-2014, 01:29 PM
lgodom
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 208 Posts

You're not alone on No. 9. It would have caught me by surprise too. I don't think I've seen a fuel gauge with E n the right.
Old 11-10-2014, 05:39 PM
Aceman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DCBE
#6 actually in eco & tour the HUD only displays MPH, in Sport the HUD is a round tach, in track it's a horizontal tach. Hopefully you have set your mode linked to drive mode, they usually come from the factory linked to sport mode.
DCBE, i guess i wasn't clear - all i was saying was i'd like to know what driving mode i'm in via the HUD (so show me (E,T,S,Track)etc..) - i do have it linked to driving mode though for the various HUD displays!

thx

Aceman
Old 01-07-2016, 12:48 AM
Cruser711
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lgodom
You're not alone on No. 9. It would have caught me by surprise too. I don't think I've seen a fuel gauge with E n the right.
Ditto big time. LOL. I keep thinking empty @ first glance
Old 01-07-2016, 06:15 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Can't imagine 500 miles in two weeks ..............

Get notified of new replies

To 500 Mile observations...

Quick Reply: 500 Mile observations...