Originally Posted by Skidplate
Thanks Einstein...
This forum would be boring without Glen e's comments
Old 12-13-2014, 10:36 PM
vettetwo
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Prodago
this isn't necessarily tied to the hockey pucks but I do have a story about whenever I jack my car up and before I could secure it. Jack started rolling and my car actually rolled down a slope about 15 feet and the Jack never lost out from underneath it scared me half to death but the car never came off the jack. Ps I forgot to put parking brake on.....
I did the same thing in 1970 with my new Mustang Mach I. I did not put wheel chocks behind the front tires which were on the ramps. I know exactly what you went through, but looking back, being scared half to death is better than being completely crushed to death. I now never forget to secure the wheels on the ramp with chocks.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:49 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,647 Likes on 6,646 Posts

you said that you left the jacking pucks in the seat, I would hope that the dealer already has the setup to lift our C7s!!!!thanks for all the info
As you read in my post, they had apparently cracked one C7 rocker panel! Since they had just recently had a technician certified for the C7 may have been a normal mechanic! I brought 4 jack pads with my C6 and put them on a the passenger seat there as well. These folks are in business to make a commission on service work not Vette hobbiest! It does take more time to put in the jack pads and line up the pads on a center post or side post lift.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:50 PM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Harbor Freight. $59.99.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:16 PM
Prodago
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Jerryu, you couldn't be more right regarding it all comes down to the money.....
My dealer service person (I actually know his name and have his cell #)!!!! called me up to ask me a question because he didn't have an answer to another C7 that was in his service shop. I'm thinking "really??? you're calling customers to get advice??" of course I had already read about the situation as it happened with my car. and do you know where I got my answer, and the answer that I gave to him??? Right here Baby!!!!!
There's nothing you guys don't know or are willing to find out.
this forum rules.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:02 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Jerryu, you couldn't be more right regarding it all comes down to the money.....
My dealer service person (I actually know his name and have his cell #)!!!! called me up to ask me a question because he didn't have an answer to another C7 that was in his service shop. I'm thinking "really??? you're calling customers to get advice??" of course I had already read about the situation as it happened with my car. and do you know where I got my answer, and the answer that I gave to him??? Right here Baby!!!!!
There's nothing you guys don't know or are willing to find out.
this forum rules.
The forum is like google, it isn’t perfect but if you read enough replies you can get a good consensus of what has a high probability of being right! Can’t expect the dealer to read a forum (or care to) on every car they sell of service.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:35 PM
Prodago
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by robertbruce
Harbor Freight. $59.99.
I found one at H.F. for $92. where are you finding one for $60??
thanks
Old 04-04-2020, 04:34 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,504 Likes on 819 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Can someone please confirm that this will work on my 2019 Stingray?

https://www.amazon.ca/VViViD-Heavy-Duty-Low-Profile-Hydraulic-Automotive/dp/B085TRCTKM/ref=sr_1_39?keywords=low+profile+jack&qid=1586032411&sr=8-39 https://www.amazon.ca/VViViD-Heavy-Duty-Low-Profile-Hydraulic-Automotive/dp/B085TRCTKM/ref=sr_1_39?keywords=low+profile+jack&qid=1586032411&sr=8-39
Old 04-04-2020, 05:22 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,813 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by Mad*Max

https://www.amazon.ca/VViViD-Heavy-D...032411&sr=8-39
I know this was formerly a 6 year old thread. I can offer some insight... I have a very similar jack and it will fit under the car...however as the arm raises it will hit my side skirts.. so I bought a better jack ( low profile " long reach " ) and now use double height pucks, with this new jack... and have no issues with a lowered car.

That jack you show fits well under my lowered C5 and worked with my C7 barely, and then when I added the side skirts it did not because of the reach

fits under my stage 3 splitter

the extra reach clears my side skirts when jacking

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 04-04-2020 at 05:24 PM.
Old 04-04-2020, 05:28 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
I know this was formerly a 6 year old thread. I can offer some insight... I have a very similar jack and it will fit under the car...however as the arm raises it will hit my side skirts.. so I bought a better jack ( low profile " long reach " ) and now use double height pucks, with this new jack... and have no issues with a lowered car.

That jack you show fits well under my lowered C5 and worked with my C7 barely, and then when I added the side skirts it did not because of the reach

fits under my stage 3 splitter

the extra reach clears my side skirts when jacking

Evil, sorry for reviving an old thread, I didn't even notice, whatever came up in Google search first I looked at

Thanks for the detailed information, this helps!
Old 04-04-2020, 05:36 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,813 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Evil, sorry for reviving an old thread, I didn't even notice, whatever came up in Google search first I looked at

Thanks for the detailed information, this helps!
NP on the old thread... help is help no matter when asked... I used my sliver low profile rapid pump aluminum jack from Harbor freight for 20 year with hundreds of jacking cycles and never an issue. The New jack Long reach low profile was necessary for me. I would not have bought it if I didn't need it. I have a total of 4 jacks in my garage, now, The Daytona is a really good rapid ( foot activated lever ) long reach low profile jack Go to harbor frieght and view the video.. You should be able to find a coupon also.
Bill aka ET
The following users liked this post:
Mad*Max (04-04-2020)
Old 04-04-2020, 07:07 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

https://www.amazon.ca/VViViD-Heavy-D...032411&sr=8-39
Yep 3.4 inch min lift will work with a 1 inch high jack pad. However that 14 inch max is somewhat of a concern. You'll have to be sure the jack is perpendicular to the car and moves into the car almost 3 inches at max lift. If it didn't move, the jack saddle would slip off the jack pad! Also, be careful when you start that the rear caster wheels are set to move in. Just check the saddle to jack pad relationship after each pump.

That short "jack arm" is about what I have in one of my 4 jacks. I only use it if just jacking a tire ~1 inch off the ground. For higher lifts, like when changing oil, I use two of my longer "Arm" jacks.

Note: I bought a long arm jack but weights 95 lbs and was NOT moving in on my tiled floor and would not on my rough surface concrete driveway. Concerned so welded on a larger lip to the flat saddle. It is about 3 1/2 inches high to the top of the welded addition and fits with a 1 inch high jack pad.

Last edited by JerryU; 04-05-2020 at 06:48 AM.
Old 04-04-2020, 07:42 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Originally Posted by JerryU
Yep 3.4 inch min lift will work with a 1 inch high jack pad. However that 14 inch max is somewhat of a concern. You'll have to be sure the jack is perpendicular to the car and moves into the car almost 3 inches at max lift. If it didn't move it the jack saddle would slip off the jack pad! Also ne careful when you start that the rear caster wheels are set to move in. Just check after each pump.

That short "jack arm" is about what I have in one of my 4 jacks. I only use it if just jacking a tire ~1 inch off the ground. For higher lifts, like when changing oil, I use two of my longer "Arm" jacks.

Note: I bought a long arm jack but weights 95 lbs and was NOT moving in on my tiled floor and would not on my rough surface concrete driveway. Concerned so welded on a larger lip to the flat saddle. It is about 3 1/2 inches high to the top of the welded addition and fits with a 1 inch high jack pad.
Thanks for this info Jerry!
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (04-05-2020)
Old 09-25-2020, 02:17 PM
Silver-Eagle 007
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for this info Jerry!
Wish I had the same guts as you to post a pic of my wife like you did yours!

Quick Reply: Clearance for low profile jack?