Sponsored by:

Z51 Stingray vs. Z06....differences?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 04:41 PM
sigelitest
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Disavowed
I may be wrong here, but I'm almost certain that the A8 tranny is the exact same for the Z06 and the Z51.

http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/...peed-lead.html

looks like if u have the 8 speed its the same
Old 07-15-2015, 05:13 PM
MeloC7
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BelchfireV8
My Z51 was affordable for me. The Z06 is not. I will not insult either model, as both are fine sports cars.
as a current Z51 owner with a Z06 that I take museum deliver of on 8/6, I couldn't agree more. Both are amazing cars.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:23 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by drmustang
The Z51 option ordered on a Sting Ray is a relatively good value for a guy who is tracing his car on a regular basis. Z51 for a garage queen that goes out for Sunday drives and car cruises is pointless.
I suppose you think the majority of Z06 owners track their cars? Nothing is pointless if you have the money and want something. For the record, GM markets the Z51 as a seperate model. Whether you agree or not is irrelevant.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:40 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by jarin12ga
http://gmauthority.com/blog/2015/01/...roduction-car/

Here's a link from GM getting 195MPH out of the new ZO6. Maybe with enough road in Mexico, you can hit 200MPH? The 2016 CTS is claiming 200MPH! Check it out! I thought a tuner would read the Top speed 186MPH for instants on the C6 which can be turned off?? That's what I read anyway's??
yet the C6Z06 has a top speed of 199 with 145 less bhp....something seems a bit off.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:42 PM
MeloC7
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Kind of an exhausting debate. They're all Corvettes and we're all driving amazing cars. GM offers them in different colors, trim levels and models. We all buy what works best for our individual budgets, expectations and tastes. We all think that our own car is the answer. That's why we bought it. Let everyone enjoy what they bought, because that's why they bought it. We're all Corvette brothers here.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:31 AM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. ice
For the record, GM markets the Z51 as a seperate model. Whether you agree or not is irrelevant.
The fact many people identify this as just a marketing ploy by GM is what makes whether it is truly a separate model or not a relevant conversation.

People may as well just agree not to agree on this topic, because both sides are dug in pretty deep on their opinion.

To draw a stark contrast, no one believes the Z06 and Stingray with Z51 are the same model.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:44 AM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 621 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Some of the Z06 differences:

- bigger brake rotors and brake calipers
- optional carbon ceramic brakes (with even larger rotors and calipers; Z07 package)
- wider wheels/tires
- larger hood vent
- larger fender vents
- larger and exposed rear brake vents
- different front grille
- wider fenders (to fit the wider wheels/tires)
- obviously the hp/tq difference with the supercharger system
- different heads, intake, oil pcv system, camshaft, forged pistons and crank (i think the block is the same?)
- different exhaust
- carbon fiber torque tube
- larger heat exchangers/coolers for transmission and rear diff; different air intakes for those exchangers
- slightly different cockpit appointments, but same overall style/layout
- different gearing
- different suspension set-up (and Z07 is different yet from the standard Z06)
- different PTM system and mag shock calibration
- different fuel mileage

Similar smile inducing fun. Go get one (of either model); they're a blast.
I had also been reading differences in the LT1 and the LT4. Like you say many changes inside the engine.I'm thinking to handle the supercharger
Without seals or other parts giving up.I was leaning on getting A supercharger for my LT1 but I'm thinking it might have a lot shorter life because of it.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:10 PM
Tim'sCorvette
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lsp408
Z51=**** star just start her first film

Zo6=**** star made enough money and upgrade from B to DD

Both are awesome and can provide plenty of fun time except one will get you there a lot quicker.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:15 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 621 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by thrilled
I had also been reading differences in the LT1 and the LT4. Like you say many changes inside the engine.I'm thinking to handle the supercharger
Without seals or other parts giving up.I was leaning on getting A supercharger for my LT1 but I'm thinking it might have a lot shorter life because of it.
I'm thinking that myself.Instead of 150K -200K maybe more like 75K -
100K.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:03 AM
dc_sticks
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just purchased my z06 i had the 2014 stingray when it first came out and i was vey happy with it until drove the 2016 zo6. the cars are like night and day the appearance is better the Z06 makes the stingray look wimpy i parked them side by side and i immediately hated my stingray i sold my stingray a week later and got the2016 z06 and i must say its a better car period they are nothing alike. the extra 20k was well worth it. just my opinion
Old 05-23-2016, 07:12 AM
Flex182
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk
Waiting for all the people who said that ordering a Z51 was a waste of money but yet sing the praises of the Z06.
Former Z06 owner, and you won't hear that from me. The Z51 is an incredible car.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:11 AM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 4,045 Likes on 1,703 Posts

Originally Posted by mgrenwic
I'm not to well versed in Vette's yet and was curious what are the obvious differences b/w the two cars?

Both have aluminum frames now?
I understand the z06 body is slightly wider and I am familiar with both engines but I was curious what are the diff. in the details are?
Technically speaking, it's AWESOMER!
Old 05-23-2016, 08:02 PM
Flex182
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by sigelitest
I am just happy to own a c7 vette I have wanted a vette my whole life and my old fav was a 74. When the c7 came out I knew that it was time to buy one. either one will make u happy. if u get bored with the z51 there are mods to make it insane. I haven't got bored with mine yet. first thing I do after the break in period on my sports cars is turn off the TC and let it fly. this car is so wicked I haven't even bothered doing it yet. it will walk back and forth off the line with TC on. I will leave it be for now lol. Every where I go i get people starring and kids pointing and going WOW. they are all amazing cars and either one will put a huge smile on your face when u drive it.
have Owned both cars . Both are incredible cars. Z51 or Z06 pass me
I'm giving the brotherly wave.

Last edited by Flex182; 05-23-2016 at 08:03 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:14 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

When I track my Z51 ( option with a different VIN) I keep trying to get it to overheat like a ZO6 ( different model ). It doesn't do that so obviously, other then great power and super brakes, the ZO6, does something I can't.

Last edited by Bill17601; 05-23-2016 at 08:17 PM.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:39 AM
TomVetteBlue
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Major difference

I traded in a 2016 Stingray for a 2016 Z06. Both are great performing cars but different animals.

- The Z51 without the magnetic suspension is a very firm ride that transfers almost all road imperfections into the body.

- The Z06 comes with a Z06 tuned magnetic suspension which is pretty forgiving in E or T mode and a good bit superior to the standard Z51 suspension in S and P modes.

- The grip is better in the Z06.

- The Z06 torque and horsepower differences are explosively more aggressive. On the street you have to use a lot of judgement and respect for and with this the Z06. The Z51 is far less likely to get you into major trouble.

- The Z06 uses about 15% more fuel than the Stingray.

- Finally the appearance of the Z06 is quite a bit more aggressive which is a pro or a con depending on your preferences.

- If I had it to do over again, I would have bought the Z06 without question as the car is way more interesting to drive.
Old 12-24-2016, 01:05 PM
drspencer
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by RonnieC6Z
There are many reasons to get the Z06 over the Stringray.
1. The car will be used for track only.
2. The car will be used for track and street.
3. The looks of the Z are preferred over the looks of the Stingray.
4. It is important to have ones ego stroked.

However, don't for one minute think that the Stingray, for street use only, whether it be a daily driver or a weekend car, will not be adequate. I seriously doubt if there is one person on this forum that can drive a Stingray to it's limits. If one could, he/she would probably be doing it for a living. I have owned 10 Vettes including a C5 Z and a C6 Z. My Vettes were daily drivers only. (the other 8 were convertibles). I have also owned Porsches, Ferraris, a viper, you name it..all being daily drivers. What I have learned is that, for me, it is more fun and satisfying to drive a lesser powered car and try to get the most of it. Also, since I drive the twisty canyons of So Cal all of the time, I get the most satisfaction driving a car on the street that can really handle as opposed to a car that can go 200 mph and/or can go from 0-60 in 3 seconds. I now drive a 2013 Porsche Boxster S (it's nice to drive different cars) and it is as much fun to drive as any car that I have ever owned..more so than most. My next car (daily driver, no track use) will be a C7 Z51 Sting Ray convertible. FOR ME, I can see zero reason for a Z06. So my advice to anyone contemplating a C7, think about why you want the car and how you plan on using it. Remember that the Stingray is less expensive to buy,operate and insure. But if one falls into any of the above four listed catagories, then consider the Z06.
Performance aside, what is the difference in daily driving ride quality between the Z51 and the Z06?

For pleasure driving, is the Z51 more comfortable and enjoyable than the Z06?

Thanks
Old 02-01-2017, 11:56 PM
CarWorm
1st Gear

Apparently the new Z06 is mostly about a much more powerful motor hence all the other bolstered components to contain this extra power.

Originally, the model Z06 was about being the most lightweight Bette model, combined with a more powerful motor. That's why it was only avail in the coupe, the lightest version of the Bette, and not offered in convt. It's immediate predecessor was the only model with an all alum. frame but apparently they all do now, cudos the Chevy for that, but that's what made the previous Z06 special & more price justified. Also, Chevys naturally aspirated, pushrod LS motor has really become iconic in its simplicity. Turbos, superchargers, cuad-cams, multivalve, etc. add a lot of weight. Modern day cars in general are much heavier these days. While they do far out perform the cars of yesteryear, manufacturers need to focus more and use technology more to reduce weight rather than increase hp.

Seems that this new Z06 ought to have been named the ZR1, which is the model that was originally about max hp.

I miss the LS7 already...

Get notified of new replies

To Z51 Stingray vs. Z06....differences?

Old 02-02-2017, 12:21 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1

Lot of difference even the frame is made differently.
Different valves to the light carbon TQ tube. Different gears.
Can not make one out of a Stingray I tried and now have the Z06.
Pretty sure that's not true. Have a cite indicating this? (Unless you are talking about insignificant detail such as a hole tapped differently or something) Certainly not stronger, lighter or different geometry. All C7s share far too many parts to make the frames differently in any meaningful way.

Different T-tube, gearing, cooling--yes. But different frame in some important way? I don't think so.

Edited to add: I'm NOT dismissing the awesome Z06 at all -- I'd definitely LOVE to have one if it was in my budget. But to call it a completely different car than the Stingray right down to the frame level is taking things beyond facts.

Last edited by Kent1999; 02-02-2017 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 06-04-2019, 02:52 PM
Tom8100
Heel & Toe

I'm a first time Vette owner (it took me till retirement) and I have been reading about the difference of Z06 and Z51; I have no illusions of what I have (2015 Stingray w/Z51 Performance Pckg. w/3LT interior) which is plenty for me at this time in my life-no need for supercharged Z06 version. However, when it comes to exterior "enhancements" such as side rocker panels, wheel well and front end "guards" or air dams are they the same body or are they different? A bit confusing....who knows of a good source for these type items in the after market?
Old 06-04-2019, 05:53 PM
dave_2012_tt
Burning Brakes

Received 344 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by lsp408
Z51=**** star just start her first film

Zo6=**** star made enough money and upgrade from B to DD

Both are awesome and can provide plenty of fun time except one will get you there a lot quicker.
I sorta like the newbie **** star better...but like the way you think.

Quick Reply: Z51 Stingray vs. Z06....differences?