Sponsored by:

New C7 or Ferrari 360 Modena.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 10:45 PM
Pocket Aces
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rad22
Modena by far...One advantage is that your depreciation will most likely be far, far lower then a brand-new Corvette.
Only if you plan not to drive it. The reality is if you want to drive more then 3K miles a year you better get the C7. Ferrari's depreciate like crazy with mileage.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:35 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 3,055 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Originally Posted by babaganoosh
it might even out considering that servicing a Ferrari starts at about $200 hour from what I have heard.
I find it to be more like $120 per hour.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:36 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Pocket Aces
Only if you plan not to drive it. The reality is if you want to drive more then 3K miles a year you better get the C7. Ferrari's depreciate like crazy with mileage.
That is not necessarily true. My 328 is appreciating and I put about 1000 miles a month on the car.
Old 12-19-2014, 01:06 AM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

I'm not a Ferrari guy so the choice would be easy for me (C7). Now if it was a McLaren....that would be a different story. Good luck with your choice.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:40 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,251 Likes on 2,023 Posts

It's one life's great mysteries. If you DON'T drive your Ferrari, it doesn't depreciate (as much) and it's not healthy. If you DO drive it, it depreciates like any modern car, it runs MUCH better and when you go to sell it, no one will touch it because there are so many 15 year old cars that were driven 500 miles a year.

A friend of mine bought a 2006 F430 from the original owner in 2009....the car had 800 miles on it. My friend kept the car 3 years, but it was a nightmare...something was always in need of repair ($$$$$$), it could have been THIS car but I stick to my theory. Low mileage is NOT all it's cracked up to be.

Jimmy
Old 12-19-2014, 03:06 AM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I've had 5 Ferrari's. I've not had a 360 as I preferred the F430 over it.

In general

Even the earlier robotized gearboxes are better than a slush box. However, the 6 speed is better than the F1 box in the 360. The F430 box is heads away better than the 360 which I view as a bit slow to shift.

They are expensive to fix. Make sure you have a good mechanic because when you buy a Ferrari you marry your mechanic.

They drive like no other car I know. Faster? No. More exhilarating? Yes.

Much nicer interior than the C7 3LT but much easier to scratch and wear out also.

Exhaust note is very, very good. It's hard to beat anywhere.

The biggest problem is that they are a general pain in the rump to drive around town as a DD. They are fun weekend cars but you can't take them everywhere, idiots in Mustangs want to race you, and people ask you to "rev it" at every stop light. The aluminum body gets door dings easily and the paint is fragile.

What you pay for in a Ferrari is for the engine, the gearbox, the body design, and the Ferrari badge. What you don't pay for is paint quality, quality control, dependability, and ease of use.

IMO, if you can swing for the extra 30 grand, the F430 is a better choice and a better car. But, it's not everyone's cup of tea also.

Before you buy one you really have to have it checked out. Make sure it has all books, tools, and keys. Make sure it hasn't been hit hard. Make sure the car has been properly maintained by a good mechanic. Stay AWAY from modded cars. That is one big difference between Vette owners and Ferrari owners. Vette owners love to customize their cars. Ferrari owners look down at it.

Not only will it save you money but when you resell it, it will help getting rid of it at the highest price.

The 360 is the biggest bang for the exotic buck today. It's sexy, fast enough, and an awesome experience to drive.

It's also fragile, difficult to repair, and a pain to live with everyday.

Is it better than a C7? Depends on what you're looking for.

Last edited by Sin City; 12-19-2014 at 03:19 AM.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:12 AM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by 4thC4at60
I find it to be more like $120 per hour.
Vegas dealer is $140 which I view as very reasonable. You have to see the specialized tools and training they do.

A few months ago, they had to send 2 mechanics to Italy for week to be trained on the LaFerrari because Steve Wynn and one other guy in Vegas bought one. I saw Steve's a few weeks ago. It's pretty darn awesome.

Last edited by Sin City; 12-19-2014 at 03:23 AM.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:14 AM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Sin City
Vegas dealer is $140 which I view as very reasonable. You have to see the specialized tools and training they do.

A few months ago, they had to send 2 mechanics to Italy for week to be trained on the LaFerrari because Steve Wynn and one other guy in Vegas bought one. I saw Steve's a few weeks ago. It's pretty darn awesome.
I'm in the Dallas area. We really only have two choices, both of which are good, but the dealer, as one would expect is more expensive than the independent: Norwood Auto Italia. Great people. Great work. Fair prices.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:45 AM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

To me, the Ferrari is just an Italian Corvette. Only way way more expensive to buy and maintain. Yeah, it has sexy lines, but so does the corvette, especially the C7. Performance wise the vette can be as fast as you want it to be. The C7 Z06 is as beautiful and head turning as any Ferrari and for street performance, as fast as any sane person wants it to be. So whadya really get with a Ferrari that a vette doesn't have ? Maybe a more thrilling sound as it revs from the tubi exhaust. Maybe a little better handling ( maybe), but not enough to amount to anything. What one really gets, is the perception that you're cooler than the guy running around in the blue collar corvette. Bottom line, it's mainly about pretentious ego. A certain part of one's body isn't bigger cause you drive a Ferrari, you just think it is.

All that said, if that old technology 360, not nearly as modern as the C7, rings your bell, by all means buy it and have fun. Odds are, after you get it out of your system and maybe lighten your wallet by quite a bit, you'll be happily returning to buy a vette, even if you have to deal with an imagined shorter body part.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:39 PM
T VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteLT4
I own both. have had an 02 spider for a couple years now, have had the c7 for a couple months. it would be a very simple choice for me. if you need a car to drive and put miles on, c7 easy. if youre looking for a weekend cruiser than a Ferrari is tough to beat.
I plan to have as a weekend cruiser at most. I really appreciate all the input here as I expected to really get a whipping. I guess it is really one of those things that I have to do, hate the term bucket list.

A friend of a friend has an Enzo and so will likely ask him for thoughts. You all gave me many more things to consider. Low miles are good but too low is also an issue if an older unit, I agree.

Every time I go to Pebble Beach and Monterey for the Concours and vintage racing it just gets me going on this idea.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:43 PM
T VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobraboy
Absolutely right. Take the Ferrari badges off it, put on the Vette flags, and tell everyone it is the prototype mid-engine Vette! They'll love it.
Priceless comment.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:07 PM
Pocket Aces
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 4thC4at60
That is not necessarily true. My 328 is appreciating and I put about 1000 miles a month on the car.
Right right.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:09 AM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by musclecar6
To me, the Ferrari is just an Italian Corvette. Only way way more expensive to buy and maintain. Yeah, it has sexy lines, but so does the corvette, especially the C7. Performance wise the vette can be as fast as you want it to be. The C7 Z06 is as beautiful and head turning as any Ferrari and for street performance, as fast as any sane person wants it to be. So whadya really get with a Ferrari that a vette doesn't have ? Maybe a more thrilling sound as it revs from the tubi exhaust. Maybe a little better handling ( maybe), but not enough to amount to anything. What one really gets, is the perception that you're cooler than the guy running around in the blue collar corvette. Bottom line, it's mainly about pretentious ego. A certain part of one's body isn't bigger cause you drive a Ferrari, you just think it is.

All that said, if that old technology 360, not nearly as modern as the C7, rings your bell, by all means buy it and have fun. Odds are, after you get it out of your system and maybe lighten your wallet by quite a bit, you'll be happily returning to buy a vette, even if you have to deal with an imagined shorter body part.
Corvettes - I've owned six of them, have driven them more than 600,000 miles. I currently own a C7 with 6,000 miles on the clock.

I also own a 26-year-old 328 GTB Ferrari. Old technology indeed. Almost zero frills. Vette is faster, more comfortable, has lots of bells and whistles. My C6 with Z51 sway bars, fresh bushings, and Bilstein HD shocks didn't handle as well as my 26-year-old Ferrari.

The C7 in Sport Mode just about handles as well as my old technology Ferrari.

Corvette has made more than 1.5 million cars since 1953.
Ferrari has made about 130,000 cars since 1947.

My C7 is a depreciating asset.
My old technology Ferrari is appreciating even while adding miles to it....

Go spend some seat time in Ferraris maybe you'll understand what the "mystique is about"..... it has nothing to do with small or large members or inflated egos.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:12 AM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Right right.
Check prices then get back to me....

Ferrari manufactured 1,344 328 GTB cars total. Of that number about 120 came to the US. It is estimated that but 85 of those cars were/are US Spec cars. There were two silver with red interior US Spec B-model Ferraris imported. Mine is one of the two.

Depreciation on the 328-series cars has bottomed out and the cars have begun to appreciate, particularly in that they are extremely uncommon. The scarcity of B-model 328s has driven the price up both here and in Europe.

The 328 model was followed by the 348, which was followed by the 355. That was followed by the 360. Most 328 owners would not trade their cars for a 348 or 355, nor would many others trade them for a 360. When we get to the F430 then people begin to express interest in "going up."

As my first sentence read, "Check prices then get back to me...."

Last edited by 4thC4at60; 12-20-2014 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Updating data
Old 12-20-2014, 06:47 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,960 Likes on 2,183 Posts

Get the Ferrari 360. Www.ferrarichat.com

Have fun.

I prefer driving and owning corvettes.

I admire the Ferrari brand for its styling and rare nature.

Not as impressed with it's running costs....I think of that as poor engineering (priorities)

I prefer to have sports cars that serve me and not the other way around.

Good luck deciding.

Btw performance and handling corvette all day long.

Maybe you should consider the recently released alfa 4c (not a launch edition car) I think it will out perform the 360 and is a little more modern and reliable as it's a new 2015 sports car. The 360 is an old car......

Last edited by JerriVette; 12-20-2014 at 07:08 AM.

Quick Reply: New C7 or Ferrari 360 Modena.....