Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HUD Tilted?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 11:37 PM
hardlight
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got a 13 Grand Sport and thought the HUD would be nice to have....But its cockeyed. tilted to the right. GM ought to be ashamed of themselves. They put HUDs in the C-5 and this complaint after looking for threads on this problem persists through to the new C-7's. This is not new rocket science and the wearwithall to fix this known. I had the engineering flight simulators on the F-18 and A-12 and worked with the very first HUD's. Hughes was a supplier of HUDs (GM bought Hughes to get the technology) and I got one of the very first holographic HUDs for development and integration work.. Imagery allignment (correcting for complex curved canopy's is doable) is critical when you are using the display for weapon delivery and landing an aircraft on a pitching deck in crappy weather at night. Try cocking the old style attitude indicator in the instrument panel of your V-tail Bonanza and fly instruments in choppy air.
The difference is in a car this is a glance at reference display not a display you are using for precise and quick control inputs. You had better not be fixating on this HUD while in motion whether in cruise on on the track.
This tilt is a PITA once you notice it but not fatal. The fact that is keeps coming up as a discovery ? for recent new owners this late in the game is kind of crappy on GM's part and there should be a service bulletin on a fix for it.

Last edited by hardlight; 10-09-2015 at 12:56 AM.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:06 AM
Casey VP26
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 82 Posts

Mine is also tilted to the right, but if I move my body and head to the left slightly while driving it will become straight, Try it.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:52 AM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,113 Likes on 753 Posts

Let your dealer's corvette tech get his hammer and screw driver and he will make it level; however, your dash will NOT be level and your car will pull to the right.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:20 AM
mrclean1
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by pegleg2
I've had my 15' C7 for about a month and noticed that the HUD seemed to be slightly tilted/not level from the day I picked it up. Didn't worry about it because I know there a lot curves and angles that may cause the illusion that it may be crooked but my wife pointed out the same thing the other day. So I had my salesman sit in my car and he said it looked slightly cocked to him also. We sat in one on the showroom and it was the same as mine.....down on the right side.

This doesn't bother me enough to have the service guys rip into my dash but.... just curious....

Has anyone else noticed this?
I think it is tilted to the right. This was the first issue I dealt with (at 500 miles) at my dealer, he said it was an optical illusion occurring because of the curves of the hood and windshield. Over time, I'm used to it and really don't notice it so much any more (6 months and 7000 miles) and reading this thread now am convinced that even if it was sent in to be replaced or repaired I'd still be in the same boat. I'm leaving mine alone, but do feel there is an alignment issue with the unit.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:06 PM
Kwagnerhvac
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Nothing to fix. It's an optical illusion
Its tilted!!! Its NOT an optical illusion. Confirm it by simply stopping behind a level object and compare the horizontal view of the gs force guage display on the HUD and compare it to the level object in front of you and it is clearly tilted to the right. It drives me crazy and should have been corrected by GM before the release of the 2015's! No excuse for making 3 years of cars without correcting the mistake.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:11 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,170 Likes on 2,250 Posts

Originally Posted by Kwagnerhvac
Its tilted!!! Its NOT an optical illusion. Confirm it by simply stopping behind a level object and compare the horizontal view of the gs force guage display on the HUD and compare it to the level object in front of you and it is clearly tilted to the right. It drives me crazy and should have been corrected by GM before the release of the 2015's! No excuse for making 3 years of cars without correcting the mistake.
It's not an optical illusion, it's tilted to the right...no doubt about it!
Old 05-03-2016, 10:23 PM
Kwagnerhvac
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Red-C6 of Jax
Let your dealer's corvette tech get his hammer and screw driver and he will make it level; however, your dash will NOT be level and your car will pull to the right.
Yeah, you're pretty funny. Fact is, it's a shame to spend 70K on a car and have the HUD display screwed up.

Quick Reply: HUD Tilted?