Old 01-03-2015, 05:35 AM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,516 Likes on 2,319 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Default DIY - Rear View Mirror, Reading Lamp, A-Pillar Interior Trim Removal

In my attempt to do something simple, I wound up removing my rear view mirror, reading lamps, and a-pillar interior trim tonight. Though relatively simple, it would have been nice to have had some sort of guide. (And if there is already a DIY post for this, forgive me. I didn't have time to look because everything I did kind of just happened without me planning to do this.) So, if for some reason you decide you need to remove any of these pieces, here is a step by step guide you can refer to.

Rear View Mirror Removal

1) Turn the entire rear view mirror housing/base one quarter turn to the right or left. I do not think it matters which way you turn it. This will release the rear view mirror from the clip that holds it securely in place and it will easily come down and out of its mount.

2) Disconnect the electrical connection at the base of the rear view mirror. The rear view mirror will be completely detached at this point.

A-Pillar Interior Trim Removal

1) Remove the rear view mirror first. See above.

2) At this point, I recommend removing your targa top or lowering your convertible top.

3) Move the sun visors out of the way. There is no need to remove them, just move them away from where you are working.

4) Using your hands or a trim piece removal tool, pull down on the front edge of the trim piece on either the drivers side or passenger side. Doing so will release the clips that hold the trim into place. Don't get crazy here. There are two torque screws that you will need to unscrew before you are able to remove the entire trim piece.

5) As you move from the outer edge of the trim piece toward the middle of the piece, the sun visor latch will actually release a small door that is built into the latch piece. It will fall open, revealing the torque screw that holds it in place. Remove the torque screw.

6) Perform steps 4 and 5 on both sides of the a-pillar trim piece.

7) Once you have removed the two torque screws, all that is holding the trim piece on now are the clips. Continue to work your way toward the middle of the trim piece until you pull all of the clips out.

8) The final step for removal is to disconnect the electrical connector for the two reading lamps. Follow the wires from both reading lamps to the central connection point and disconnect the connector there. The a-pillar trim piece will be completely free at this point.

Reading Lamp Removal

1) Remove the rear view mirror. See above.

2) Remove the a-pillar interior trim piece. See above.

3) Remove the lenses from the reading lamp housings. The tabs that hold the lenses in place can be easily seen when looking at the back side of the a-pillar trim piece. You now have access to the reading lamp housing, bulb, and circuit components.

4) When reconnecting the lenses and the housings, I found that the clips on the lenses were most easily secured when attaching the ones located at the thinner part of the lense first.

Final note: The reading lamp lenses are secured to the a-pillar trim solely by the lenses. If you remove the lenses without removing the a-pillar trim piece, it is highly unlikely that you will be able to properly reattach the lenses to the lamp housings. Don't ask me how I know.

Last edited by jagamajajaran; 01-03-2015 at 02:22 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jagamajajaran:
blkvet6 (07-05-2017), Rooster OG (11-03-2015)
Old 01-03-2015, 12:12 PM
MADMANC7
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not that I'm planning to do this, but I'm curious as to what year and model you have. I ask because I have a 15 Z51, 3lt with Nav and PDR, and I know the PDR camera and GPS antenna are in the the mirror. That might make a difference in the mirror procedure.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:13 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

Originally Posted by MADMANC7
Not that I'm planning to do this, but I'm curious as to what year and model you have. I ask because I have a 15 Z51, 3lt with Nav and PDR, and I know the PDR camera and GPS antenna are in the the mirror. That might make a difference in the mirror procedure.
Mine is a 2014 3LT with NAV, no PDR. Thanks for the input. Anyone with PDR may want to be careful to pay attention to any differences in the procedure.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:22 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

Pics added.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:40 PM
dprestidge
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran
In my attempt to do something simple, I wound up removing my rear view mirror, reading lamps, and a-pillar interior trim tonight. Though relatively simple, it would have been nice to have had some sort of guide. (And if there is already a DIY post for this, forgive me. I didn't have time to look because everything I did kind of just happened without me planning to do this.) So, if for some reason you decide you need to remove any of these pieces, here is a step by step guide you can refer to.

Rear View Mirror Removal

1) Turn the entire rear view mirror housing/base one quarter turn to the right or left. I do not think it matters which way you turn it. This will release the rear view mirror from the clip that holds it securely in place and it will easily come down and out of its mount.

2) Disconnect the electrical connection at the base of the rear view mirror. The rear view mirror will be completely detached at this point.

A-Pillar Interior Trim Removal

1) Remove the rear view mirror first. See above.

2) At this point, I recommend removing your targa top or lowering your convertible top.

3) Move the sun visors out of the way. There is no need to remove them, just move them away from where you are working.

4) Using your hands or a trim piece removal tool, pull down on the front edge of the trim piece on either the drivers side or passenger side. Doing so will release the clips that hold the trim into place. Don't get crazy here. There are two torque screws that you will need to unscrew before you are able to remove the entire trim piece.

5) As you move from the outer edge of the trim piece toward the middle of the piece, the sun visor latch will actually release a small door that is built into the latch piece. It will fall open, revealing the torque screw that holds it in place. Remove the torque screw.

6) Perform steps 4 and 5 on both sides of the a-pillar trim piece.

7) Once you have removed the two torque screws, all that is holding the trim piece on now are the clips. Continue to work your way toward the middle of the trim piece until you pull all of the clips out.

8) The final step for removal is to disconnect the electrical connector for the two reading lamps. Follow the wires from both reading lamps to the central connection point and disconnect the connector there. The a-pillar trim piece will be completely free at this point.

Reading Lamp Removal

1) Remove the rear view mirror. See above.

2) Remove the a-pillar interior trim piece. See above.

3) Remove the lenses from the reading lamp housings. The tabs that hold the lenses in place can be easily seen when looking at the back side of the a-pillar trim piece. You now have access to the reading lamp housing, bulb, and circuit components.

4) When reconnecting the lenses and the housings, I found that the clips on the lenses were most easily secured when attaching the ones located at the thinner part of the lense first.

Final note: The reading lamp lenses are secured to the a-pillar trim solely by the lenses. If you remove the lenses without removing the a-pillar trim piece, it is highly unlikely that you will be able to properly reattach the lenses to the lamp housings. Don't ask me how I know.

Will the cover in front of the mirror come off by its self. If so how?
Thanks for your help. Pics would be great.
Dillard
Old 11-03-2015, 09:40 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

Originally Posted by dprestidge
Will the cover in front of the mirror come off by its self. If so how?
Thanks for your help. Pics would be great.
Dillard
The long material covered piece? If that's what you're talking about, yes, it will come down as you follow the instructions I provided.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:47 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

The pdr camera is in that big plastic housing in front of the mirror assembly. It's really hard to remove.

Thanks Jag, I'm not sure why I'd ever need to remove all of that other than to bury wire I guess, but it's nice someone figured it out for us!
The following 2 users liked this post by Rooster OG:
dprestidge (11-03-2015), jagamajajaran (11-04-2015)
Old 11-03-2015, 09:53 PM
dprestidge
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran
The long material covered piece? If that's what you're talking about, yes, it will come down as you follow the instructions I provided.
No I'm talking about the cover for the camera.

Last edited by dprestidge; 11-03-2015 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Add pic
Old 11-03-2015, 11:02 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

That cover comes off. If you start on the mirror side and work a trim tool under it, you can see where the clips are in that picture. Put your trim tool right at where one of the clips are and pop the cover down. Pop the three off on that side then you can get the other two.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rooster OG:
dprestidge (11-03-2015), jagamajajaran (11-04-2015)
Old 11-04-2015, 02:11 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,302 Likes on 13,975 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Thanks for the DIY info.
The following users liked this post:
jagamajajaran (11-04-2015)
Old 11-04-2015, 11:23 AM
USCG
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

I should have waited a day or so....just finished installing a dash cam in front of the mirror. What a pain to work in such a cramped, tight space!

It would have been much easier to have removed the mirror, and looking at the actual mount v. the exploded parts diagram (which indicated it was held up by a torq screw), the mirror appeared to unscrew from it mount. Tried to unscrew with moderate force, but it would not budge. Did not want to visit the dealer for a new mirror and whatever else I broke in the process. THANKS for the the input about the removal. Thinking we need to put you on some sort of retainer/consulting arrangement!

One thing to add or clarify. The bracket that holds the end of the Visor. The cover plate has a tiny latch at the top center - closest to the visor. It also has tiny plastic hinge pins on the lower end (near the courtesy light). Best to use a very thin straight probe to release the latch - don't try to pry from the bottom. This way, you won't do any damage to the cover plate....which is very visible when it's all put back together.
The following users liked this post:
jagamajajaran (11-04-2015)
Old 07-02-2017, 09:39 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Right side a pillar cover

i just have to replace the right a pillar cover. How do I do just that side. Thanks Jimmy
Old 07-02-2017, 09:47 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

OK. I read this twice, just to be sure. Nice directions. Really. But WHY DID YOU DO THIS?????

Get notified of new replies

To DIY - Rear View Mirror, Reading Lamp, A-Pillar Interior Trim Removal

Quick Reply: DIY - Rear View Mirror, Reading Lamp, A-Pillar Interior Trim Removal