Message to Michelin...

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 10:08 AM
PUGPROUD
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Message to Michelin...

Dear Michelin...

It's January here in the northern states. It's clear out but it's bitterly cold. Our C7's are put up for the winter because your excellent Z51 run flat summer tires cannot cut it this time of year. We want to use our cars and we are depressed because we cannot. Non-run flats are not the answer as anyone who has gotten a flat with no spare will contest to. As enthusiasts we are extremely loyal to brands that perform and meet our needs. You want to be our tire company, you want us to put your tires on all our cars and all of our loved ones' cars, you want us to recommend Michelin to all our friends who come to us knowing we are the authority on cars. Word of mouth means more than all advertising costs combined and selling a current customer more product is far cheaper than trying to convince others to become customers. Do not look at the incremental cost of building all season run flats but at the incremental volume you will gain by satisfying the needs of true enthusiasts. How can we northerners recommend Michelin to all our friends when you have not yet satisfied our most critical need this time of year. I know you have heard this request in ad nauseam but it's a real issue to us...we are hurting, we are in pain and you can provide relief. Come to our aid and we will be loyal customers and spread the word that Michelin is the company for all your tire needs. Don't forget us and we will not forget you each time we need tires!

Regards....Z51 C7 Northern State Owners

PS...To all C7 owners in southern states, God Bless. While you may not understand totally your support would be most welcomed. To all C7 owners who say "run flat all seasons hamper performance so why did you buy a Z51", we don't all drive at 10/10's, or go to a track and a Z51 with all season run flats will still be a sweet street machine that beats having your baby hibernating for months. Though your viewpoint may differ, we appreciate your support as well.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:25 AM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

As I've said before, what I actually want is a run flat version of the A/S3 and a non-run flat version of the stock Z51 tires.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:31 AM
Ronbo13
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I agree with you 100% I have a 2013 Grand Sport and the tires are good for all year round. I live in the Panhandle and it does get cold. I would hate not to be able to drive my Vette just because it is 32 outside. I also don't want to buy different size rims just to mount tires on my Vette if I upgrade to a C7. I am considering getting a C7 Z06 and people are buying it with the Z07 package and the taking the tires off so they have a set when it rains. I I really want to track, I will get a spare set of wheels. But I want to be able to drive sun or rain and not put the Vette to bed because it will be 32 in the morning when I go to work or want to go on a early morning ride.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:38 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,934 Likes on 4,814 Posts

What exactly is the problem with the tires in cold temperatures besides a bit less traction under certain conditions.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:41 AM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by dvilin
What exactly is the problem with the tires in cold temperatures besides a bit less traction under certain conditions.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:42 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,922 Likes on 1,194 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin
They are also more prone to the sidewalls cracking in these cold temps.

Although that part puzzles me, because in my younger days I have run high performance tires in the coldest temps of winter (below 0F), specifically the Goodyear Gatorback tires. I ran those tires on three different cars (84 Corvette, 87 Mustang GT and 88 Dodge Shadow ES Turbo) and they never cracked or showed any signs of distress. So how is it that three decades later the tire technology seems to have gone backwards in this regard and now these tires are cracking??
Old 01-04-2015, 10:44 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,960 Likes on 5,346 Posts

I put the same tires on my C6Z. I have no issues driving them in cold weather where temps may be below 32 degrees. I don't drive the car in snow or ice due to the width of the tires. Even the AS versions aren't good for snow or ice due to the width. Driving in snow and ice requires a taller tire that has a long foot print Vs a wide foot print. Those types of tires and wheels will not easily fit on a Corvette.

You will not hurt the tire driving in below freezing weather and you will not hurt yourself as long as you learn how to roll on and off the throttle properly.

Bill
Old 01-04-2015, 10:54 AM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,367 Likes on 791 Posts

A can of fix a flat and you could de driving year round like some of us are. How many flats have you had in your life? I think I've had one.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:47 AM
abrimberry
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Woodson
A can of fix a flat and you could de driving year round like some of us are. How many flats have you had in your life? I think I've had one.
I've never used fix-a-flat. Does anyone know how large of a hole it can repair? I hit a huge pothole on the freeway and it ripped a long hole in the tire, probably 4-5 inches. The run flat feature really saved me that time.

I've had at least 10 flat tires in the last 10 years. I drive around 60 miles per day. YMMV.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:02 PM
jw38
Team Owner

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14,'18,'21

Shouldn't your message be to Chevrolet? After all, THEY chose to use a summer run-flat on the C7...Michelin didn't.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:07 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

Personally, I think you are being a bit over-dramatic, but assuming that Michelin does post a reply, let us know.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:09 PM
FlashofRed
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jw38
Shouldn't your message be to Chevrolet? After all, THEY chose to use a summer run-flat on the C7...Michelin didn't.
Sarge
Old 01-04-2015, 12:33 PM
11B250
Melting Slicks

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

It's 80 here in Sunny FL right. I feel for you guys.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:35 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,435 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Originally Posted by abrimberry
I've never used fix-a-flat. Does anyone know how large of a hole it can repair? I hit a huge pothole on the freeway and it ripped a long hole in the tire, probably 4-5 inches. The run flat feature really saved me that time.

I've had at least 10 flat tires in the last 10 years. I drive around 60 miles per day. YMMV.
It will not "fix-that-flat." It'll generally seal a hole the side of a nail puncture, but then you'll have to replace the TMPS sensor. Better than nothing...

A tire inflator kit is an alternative, which are furnished in GT500s, as well as some other vehicles, however, they have similar limitations... and when you actually need it, the inflator substance will probably be expired and rendered useless- speaking from experience. Also, better than nothing... or not.

AAA, a friend with a flatbed... or Michelin Run Flats are your other options. I generally prefer the latter
Old 01-04-2015, 12:38 PM
Stan0324
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 109 Posts

No, I think his message is addressed properly. Many owners live in climates where its warm all year round. I can not see why we should deprive them of a high performance run flat warm weather tire. For those of us that live in in colder climates, just give us a run flat alternative to either switch over to or totally replace our stock tires.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:44 PM
lagblue
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PUGPROUD
Dear Michelin...

It's January here in the northern states. It's clear out but it's bitterly cold. Our C7's are put up for the winter because your excellent Z51 run flat summer tires cannot cut it this time of year. We want to use our cars and we are depressed because we cannot. Non-run flats are not the answer as anyone who has gotten a flat with no spare will contest to. As enthusiasts we are extremely loyal to brands that perform and meet our needs. You want to be our tire company, you want us to put your tires on all our cars and all of our loved ones' cars, you want us to recommend Michelin to all our friends who come to us knowing we are the authority on cars. Word of mouth means more than all advertising costs combined and selling a current customer more product is far cheaper than trying to convince others to become customers. Do not look at the incremental cost of building all season run flats but at the incremental volume you will gain by satisfying the needs of true enthusiasts. How can we northerners recommend Michelin to all our friends when you have not yet satisfied our most critical need this time of year. I know you have heard this request in ad nauseam but it's a real issue to us...we are hurting, we are in pain and you can provide relief. Come to our aid and we will be loyal customers and spread the word that Michelin is the company for all your tire needs. Don't forget us and we will not forget you each time we need tires!

PS...To all C7 owners in southern states, God Bless. While you may not understand totally your support would be most welcomed. To all C7 owners who say "run flat all seasons hamper performance so why did you buy a Z51", we don't all drive at 10/10's, or go to a track and a Z51 with all season run flats will still be a sweet street machine that beats having your baby hibernating for months. Though your viewpoint may differ, we appreciate your support as well.

Agree 100% as well. Thanks for posting.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:20 PM
BIG Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 4,684 Likes on 1,862 Posts

Originally Posted by PUGPROUD
...Come to our aid and we will be loyal customers and spread the word that Michelin is the company for all your tire needs. Don't forget us and we will not forget you each time we need tires!

Dear Michelin,

The OP claims to speak on behalf of C7 Northern State Owners. I live in New England and he does NOT speak for me. It's wintertime and I put my C7 away for the winter. I have no need for C7 snow tires. If you develop winter tires for the C7, most likely the development costs will be spread across other tires, which means I will ultimately have to share in the development cost for a tire I have no interest in purchasing.

Just representing the other side of the story.

Last edited by BIG Dave; 01-04-2015 at 01:23 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Message to Michelin...

Old 01-04-2015, 01:22 PM
coolsrt8
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Dear Michelin...

Please stop all production and build this guy a special set of tires
Old 01-04-2015, 01:29 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Living in Austin we , on occasion, get cold temps. The summer only tires suck when it gets near 45 or below. I would love to see an all season run flat performance tire. Does not matter if you have the Z51 option as all Corvette tires are summer only tires. I can't believe that GM would believe that all of the 45,000 or so Stingrays are put to bed when the temps drop.
And to consider that there are many other cars with this type tire as standard equipment, males one wonder why Michelin has not addressed this concern before.
Guess this means I agree with the OP.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:33 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

After putting up with junk from Goodyear on Corvettes from 30+ years I am glad they changed to Michelin!!!

Quick Reply: Message to Michelin...