C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who says you can't drive a C7 in the winter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 10:46 PM
ferd1971
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Who says you can't drive a C7 in the winter?

Was watching the local WGN news tonight in Chicago and saw a C7 vert drive by in the background during a snowstorm. We are expecting 3-6 inches of snow tonight. This guy must really love driving his vette to risk driving it in this weather.
Attached Images  
Old 01-05-2015, 10:53 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Nobody says that. There are two other threads, with pics, about this exact same topic on the first page of this forum right now. Some Vettes are kept as garage art and some are driven every day. They don't melt in snow or rain.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:09 PM
Stan0324
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 109 Posts

They may not melt, but they do not stop any faster and they will not stop another car from plowing into you. If its your DD, then you have no choice, if not, then make it a work of art until at least the roads clear up.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:59 AM
Weasel
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 44 Posts

It's not so much, "with a car like that," but it's, "with tires like that." If you were to put summer only tires like are on our C7's on a car normally good in light snow and the car would instantly be bad. I'm still driving my base coupe/7speed, but gingerly.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:07 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Nothing wrong with it at all, unless something does go wrong which is more likely in bad weather conditions, and then the pristine car loses some "value." Tow truck operators love this time of year, wonder why. This, from C6 observer, in a closed thread:

"So its 27℉ here in Virginia today and yes its snowing...

Dear sir who brought out your shiny new grey C7 - you are an -----.

Your Vette straddling the median with the Honda CRV crashed into the side of it angered and saddened me all at the same time."
Old 01-06-2015, 08:29 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,929 Likes on 4,810 Posts

I would worry more about other drivers losing control and sliding into me. Although I would not be out there in my Vette, but for some reason a few owners have no problem with driving year round no matter what the weather conditions are.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:39 AM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin
I would worry more about other drivers losing control and sliding into me. Although I would not be out there in my Vette, but for some reason a few owners have no problem with driving year round no matter what the weather conditions are.

^ This. I feel I can drive any car in any condition. It's not me I worry about. It's the SUV owners who drive on show/ice like it was 60 and sunny. 4 Wheel Drive does jack sh*t on ice. Yet I continue to see accidents because many SUV drivers have a false sense of confidence.

BTW, my DD is a 4 wheel drive SUV but I drive according to conditions not the number of drive wheels my car has.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:00 AM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
Nothing wrong with it at all, unless something does go wrong which is more likely in bad weather conditions, and then the pristine car loses some "value." Tow truck operators love this time of year, wonder why. This, from C6 observer, in a closed thread:

"So its 27℉ here in Virginia today and yes its snowing...

Dear sir who brought out your shiny new grey C7 - you are an -----.

Your Vette straddling the median with the Honda CRV crashed into the side of it angered and saddened me all at the same time."
Body shops love this weather also. We had our first major snow last evening, about 6 inches. DD is AWD SUV - I'm happy to have it this AM.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:15 AM
TKay
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Dont' forget the biggest destroyer of cars in the midwest, salt. True, they will not melt, but any iron will rust for sure.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:22 AM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,986 Likes on 1,145 Posts

I love the logic you all use>>>>>>>>>>> or not!!!! Tell me then you don't drive your car in the rain??? I mean it gets more dangerous then sunny days!!! Or maybe you don't drive in the sun because of the glare. Point is if you really wanted to protect your ride you would never drive it.

I trade mine every couple of years and not one dealer has ever asked me hey has it been in the Ohio salt? We got 3 to 4 inches this morning and it did quite well.........even went out before the plows.

I'd rather be driving my car everyday then hanging on the forum counting the months til summer. But each to their own.

Some day if I am in a nursing home I'll be glad I drove the car daily. Only regret is it took me years to realize this.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:29 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Didn't GM do extensive COLD weather testing on the Stingray? I hope so because yesterday it was 10 degrees out when I left home to head to work. My Stingray didn't break, in fact it seemed to perform and enjoy the COLD temps.

In fact tomorrow it's supposed to be single digits when I leave for work, the Stingray is going with me.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:34 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Plowed plenty of snow with my 87 when I lived in Illinois. Was my daily driver and biggest concern was other drivers. Most forget how to drive as soon as the first flake hits the ground.

After the obligatory learning curve (usually a couple of weeks) things settle down as do the other drivers.

Biggest problem I had was having the front brake freeze up while it was parked for 8 hours outside. Zero steering with snow on the ground as wheels would not turn and trying to get them to break free was a PITA.

Other than that, it was like driving any other RWD car.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:02 PM
Duntov7
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret
Plowed plenty of snow with my 87 when I lived in Illinois. Was my daily driver and biggest concern was other drivers. Most forget how to drive as soon as the first flake hits the ground.

After the obligatory learning curve (usually a couple of weeks) things settle down as do the other drivers.

Biggest problem I had was having the front brake freeze up while it was parked for 8 hours outside. Zero steering with snow on the ground as wheels would not turn and trying to get them to break free was a PITA.

Other than that, it was like driving any other RWD car.
Same here.....amazing how creative we get when we live in the great white north, have snow up our yin-yangs, but have only ONE car....a Corvette.....and have 50-mile return drive to work. SNOW TIRES. Worked for me 'several' years ago.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:05 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
Didn't GM do extensive COLD weather testing on the Stingray? I hope so because yesterday it was 10 degrees out when I left home to head to work. My Stingray didn't break, in fact it seemed to perform and enjoy the COLD temps.

In fact tomorrow it's supposed to be single digits when I leave for work, the Stingray is going with me.
Wow that is cold weather to be Vetting in, glad you get to do it
Old 01-06-2015, 06:40 PM
rrod436
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

The car was ARCTIC WHITE, of course he would drive it in the snow!
Old 01-06-2015, 08:53 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

With the right snow tires, there is no reason not to drive the Corvette if that is your only vehicle.

I used to have a 1990 LX Mustang. This was the worst car EVER in snow. Take your foot of the brake and the wheels would spin. Put a set of winter tires that would take studs (I never had studs installed) and I drove that car in up to 4" of snow with no problem.

It's all about the tires. Even all season tires are a trade off. I have other vehicles to drive in winter so I don't typically drive my vette in snow. My daily driver is a 2014 Subaru Forester and even though that has FT AWD and all season tires, I swap over to a set of Blizzaks for the winter. Just makes driving in any winter weather easier.

Do they even make Blizzaks in 19 and 20 inch?
Old 01-06-2015, 08:58 PM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have always driven all of my sports car in the winter time. Best time of year here in Arizona!

Get notified of new replies

To Who says you can't drive a C7 in the winter?

Old 01-06-2015, 09:55 PM
silversmoke1957
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, it is wintertime and I drove my C7 today. It was a sunny, blue-sky day with afternoon temperatures in the middle 60's. Took a pleasure cruise along some twisty back country roads and then topped it off with a higher speed blast on the toll road with an 85 mph posted speed limit. Car ran like a dream. It may be hotter than hell in Texas in the summer, but every now and then we get a nice day in the winter time.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:31 AM
daytonagary
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a 1961 Corvette in the mid 60's and drove it in Ohio weather every day 52 weeks a year. Rain, snow, sleet, etc. etc. No different today, if you want it to be your daily driver, drive it.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:14 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,307 Likes on 13,978 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

If he chooses to drive it in that kind of weather, more power to him. As for me, that's why I have a daily driver - no need to get the Vette out and have to worry about all the crazy drivers around here. Besides, if the roads were covered in snow, no way I would be able to get the car out anyway since I live at the bottom of a steep hill with only one way out.

Quick Reply: Who says you can't drive a C7 in the winter?