OnStar doesn't want me!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 06:14 PM
msaldivar
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default OnStar doesn't want me!

My trial OnStar trial expired on 12/2. I intentionally let it expire and lapse due to some forum suggestions. I fully agreed and ignored the renewal notices. My expectation was that they would be blowing up my phone, car, e-mail trying to get me to renew. Not a word.

I was planning on the discounted $149 annual rate for Safe & Sound that they offered me just prior to expiration. I won't pay by credit card due to some sound advice from here on the forum as well. I called them several times in the past 30 days asking for an invoice so I could pay the full year by check. I was told I would get an invoice in the mail. Then I was told one would come by e-mail a couple of times.

Today the nice lady says it may 10-15 days to receive an invoice and my coverage is cancelled. There is nothing she can do. I begged for an invoice to pay by check. Nothing she can do. I don't really need it, but thought It wouldn't be bad to have for various reasons. They obviously don't want my money. Ridiculous. Eff em' now.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:17 PM
FPS Hungary
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Cool story
Old 01-06-2015, 06:30 PM
St!ngray
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 251 Likes on 163 Posts

If you pay once as you are requesting and tell the OnStar person you do not want your credit card use for renewal it will be done that way.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:00 PM
zare191
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Get a 'one time' use c/c # from your c/c company. You can pick the expiration date and max amount that can be charged. Then, no worry about anything being charged in the future because the # is no good.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:01 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by zare191
Get a 'one time' use c/c # from your c/c company. You can pick the expiration date and max amount that can be charged. Then, no worry about anything being charged in the future because the # is no good.
I've used this method before with other companies with much success. I did run into one that said I agreed to be charged annually and needed to cancel via mail so when they tried to bill the card and could not, they sent me a past due notice and threatened to have debt collectors come after me. I notified my state's consumer protection agency and they went away but it was a hassle. Just something to keep in mind....
Old 01-06-2015, 11:05 PM
NASTYC7
Drifting

Received 433 Likes on 239 Posts

Beg me to take your money.. See where that gets you..
Old 01-06-2015, 11:21 PM
beachcomber
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

I have OnStar, but am reconsidering what we get for the money. Don't think I'll be renewing either, especially with the service I've been hearing lately.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:05 AM
BIC
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Also note that some insurance companies offer a discount if you have the On-Star theft location feature active. USAA gives you $4 or so off per month.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:21 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

Interesting. I dragged my feet and they sent me the offer for Safe and Sound at $149. I requested by phone a bill for a one year subscription and they sent it to me. I also requested suspension of my service for the winter months when my car would not be used. Again, no problem and they are extending my subscription by adding the suspension time back in at the end. They were pretty good to work with for me.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:17 AM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by msaldivar
Ridiculous. Eff em' now.
Best plan.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:13 AM
grandpawmoses
Race Director

Received 95 Likes on 41 Posts

I ask the salesman why XM gives you a year with a 3LT but GM only gives you 3 months of OnStar on a Vette. His only good answer was that Vette owners don't hesitate to pay for it.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:56 PM
St!ngray
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 251 Likes on 163 Posts

The $149.00 seems not to be available any more, it is now $179.00.
This is what I was told today since my subscription expires at the end of February.
It works out to just under $15 per month, which preserves the special offer of 300 minutes I purchase, at a low discount when setting up OnStar.
The better plan OnStar had was the one for $9.99 per month, but is no longer available.
The above would be perfect for those of us that do not use the car as a DD.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:12 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by BIC
Also note that some insurance companies offer a discount if you have the On-Star theft location feature active. USAA gives you $4 or so off per month.
Can you get Onstar for less than $48 per year? I didn't think so.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:15 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by zare191
Try that with XM and ignore a renewal and they'll damage your credit rating. Just say "NO" to Onstar and XM. Cell phone with Pandora beats both.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:25 PM
js1977
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Onstar..... Hahaha!!! What a joke!

The day I trusted them to navigate me to a bank ATM and ended up needing to turn in to a 100+ acre corn field as I had "arrived at my destination", I was finished with their service....
Old 01-08-2015, 12:28 AM
NavyBlue2
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 73 Posts

What's OnStar?

What does it do?

Have my C7 for 3 months now, never used it....
Old 01-08-2015, 07:05 AM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

When I picked up my C7 at the dealer, there was the usual OnStar song and dance with the setup. Did not buy any minutes and did not provide any billing information. What I did mention to the advisor on that setup call was that I had three vehicles with an OnStar system, that I'm the only one that drives any of them, that I can only drive one at a time, and that if they had one plan that would cover all 3 of them for single simultaneous use at a discount, I would be interested. They replied they didn't have such a plan, and the call ended.

Anyway, recalling my experience with the trials on all three cars, I've never used it for anything other than entertaining my grandkids. The very first time I showed my granddaughter that my car could make a call, she thought the OnStar lady was in the trunk. We now have to make a call everytime we get in the car - they haven't yet discovered that I'm just faking them out by using a paired cell phone now.

Netflix provides for two simultaneous streaming users on their plan, so get with it OnStar.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:41 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I have OnStar on all 3 of my vehicles. I get a discount from State Farm based on my mileage and they use OnStar to verify the mileage. However, that is a side benefit that just came about a couple of years ago. I have some minutes on each of the phones since they get through where the hand held cell can't. There are a lot of No Service zones around the country where handhelds don't have the power to reach a cell tower. The OnStar phone really doesn't have much power either but it has a fantastic antenna (the car). You can reach the moon with 20 watts and the correct antenna. If I want to have an uninterrupted conversation I use OnStar.

The main reason I have it is the crash notification. I have never needed it but a coworker did and once I heard his story I made sure I had it activated. If your hand held phone isn't fastened to your body where you can get to it there is a very likely possibility you will not be able to reach it or even use your Bluetooth ear bud to communicate with it. If you have the car Bluetooth tied in you might be able to use it but could be incapacitated or you could be in one of those frequent No Service areas.

OnStar is just present. Those airbags go off and somebody is talking to you. You don't have to call them, they call you and get emergency services on their way to you. You don't have to think about where you are they will come to you.

I am enrolled in continuous coverage which means they put me in the month to month category until I call them if I forget to call them before the subscription runs out. The $149 deal is gone and has been replaced with one a few dollars higher. That deal was nothing other than OnStar giving you the GM Employee price which has gone up.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 01-08-2015 at 11:44 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To OnStar doesn't want me!

Quick Reply: OnStar doesn't want me!