Sponsored by:

Selling a car on Ebay

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 10:39 PM
plumalan
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Selling a car on Ebay

Anyone out there gone through this process? If so could you share with me any possible "potholes" or problems to be concerned with. Is it true that E-bay/Pay-pal only guarantees the initial deposit payment of $2,000.

I just sold a 2007 C6 instead of taking a ridiculous trade-in price of $25,000. The car sold for $30,000. I'm in Florida (Tampa and the winning bidder is in Pennsylvania). (I feel sorry for my baby, she has never been rain much less snow. I'm feeling guilty!!!)

In the process of getting a Stingray!
Old 01-08-2015, 10:51 PM
alienranch
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

I'm curious about this as well
Old 01-08-2015, 11:14 PM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Old 01-08-2015, 11:28 PM
Jakeross
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The biggest thing these days is making sure you have good funds. Of course checks can be fraudulent but there are some very high quality cashiers checks out there. The crooks can even fake the security strips. I would ask for the money to be wired in unless you don't mind having all that cash around. As far as the title goes each state is different. Check with the office where you get your plates or maybe you have a friend at a dealership.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:39 PM
jrainlay
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've bought and sold vehicles on eBay. I'll accept payment of the initial $500 non-refundable deposit via PayPal but I insist the balance be paid within seven days by cashier's check.

On a related subject, be careful of scams involving people who want to pay the entire sale amount via PayPal. Also be aware that as the seller you are responsible for paying a 3% PayPal transaction fee. Final word of caution... Don't do business with oceanographers or anyone else who tells you a convoluted story about why they need you to send them or anyone else any money!
Old 01-08-2015, 11:48 PM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Received 1,014 Likes on 365 Posts

I sold my 2005 on eBay. Sort of....

I got an offer before it ended but I did not accept it. After it ended, I negotiated a sell price and drove it down from Austin to Houston to finalize the sale.

I had the buyer scan and email me the cashiers check in advance and called the bank to confirm it was real. I met the buyer at a branch of my bank in Houston and finalized the bill of sale and other documents there. Deposited the check right there. Gave him the title and all my receipts. He was a very happy guy.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:57 AM
grandpawmoses
Race Director

Received 95 Likes on 41 Posts

I've sold some "high end" collectable motorcycles and never had a problem. I got some advice from a bank to use bank transfers instead of cashiers checks. The money is instantly in your account and no issues with an altered cashiers check.
Specify in your EBay ad that it's the buyers responsibility to pick up or arrange shipping.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:02 AM
grandpawmoses
Race Director

Received 95 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by jrainlay
Final word of caution... Don't do business with oceanographers or anyone else who tells you a convoluted story about why they need you to send them or anyone else any money!
I ran into this selling a truck on Craigs List. I didn't fall for it but a little research turned up that many had.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:20 AM
green2000
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts

There is no penalty for the buyer to go through with the transaction. I had a high bidder who never followed up and ebay will do nothing for the seller. I was lucky to relist the car and it went for a higher price. It just took longer to list the car twice.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:48 AM
7LitreC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 646 Likes on 388 Posts

I sold my Saturn Sky Redline through eBay when I got my C7. It was a really easy process and only cost about ~$135. The nice thing about selling on eBay is that it opens your item up to a much larger audience.

The only thing that you really need to make sure of is that the funds used to pay for the car are real.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:53 AM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Take a small deposit ($500-$1000) on paypal.

You as a seller are NEVER "truly" protected. Buyers always win.

Good luck!
Old 01-09-2015, 08:44 AM
FredC7
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 158 Likes on 64 Posts

Default Sold a Car on Ebay

I was able to buy my C7 after selling my 1973 Jaguar XKE roadster on Ebay. My E-type had only 16K original miles on it and it looked great. However, it was a conversion from a coupe done years ago. If it was an original roadster it was valued at $125,000 by NADA. After owning it for ten years I tried to sell it locally for $40K but the fact that it was a conversion turn off most buyers even though you could not tell by looking at it that it was once a coupe and the low price reflected the true value.
I listed it on Ebay and it cost around $20 to post it with 10 photos. I put a $42K reserve on it because I could always go down later. Well in a matter of a day or two it shot up to $52.1K and I sold it. I required a $2K PayPal down payment and the balance by certified check that must clear before I released the car. The new owner was so excited to own a true classic that he paid the deposit and flew across the country to see his new toy and give me a bank check. I shipped the car several weeks later and we were both very happy. The seller's fee from Ebay was $120.00. I would sell a car again on Ebay but be very cautious about how the buyer makes the payment. I specified USA only and buyer was responsible for the shipping. Once I got the buyer's name I was able to check him out online and made sure that he was a legitimate buyer. There are a lot of scammers on Ebay. Beware!
Old 01-09-2015, 09:16 AM
jdsaengine
Melting Slicks

Received 173 Likes on 111 Posts

I did not sell, but I purchased a car on Ebay. I sent $1000 deposit via PayPal, then drove 400 mi to personally test drive. I brought a bank certified cashiers check and we completed the deal at his bank

One glitch. His bank phoned my bank and verified the certified check was good, and deposited the $$ into his account, but WOULD NOT allow him access to the $$ for 5 working days. That almost stopped the deal. I had the car on a trailer out in the bank parking lot and he did not want me to leave with his car and he had no $$ for 5 days. After about an hour or spirited conversation with him, his bank and me, he agreed to let me take the car.

One other thing, he originally wanted a bank wire transfer, but I did not want to do that without seeing the car first. The wire transfer (in my case anyway) was going to take 24hr to finalize which meant I would have to stay overnight in hotel, not what I could do at the time.

So. . .no matter how you do it, a leap of faith has to be taken by one or both party's at some point.

In next couple of months I going to be selling my '32 hot rod and my C5, and Ebay is a consideration, so I'm curious to follow this thread myself.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:36 AM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Old 01-09-2015, 10:31 AM
wgood
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by plumalan
Anyone out there gone through this process? If so could you share with me any possible "potholes" or problems to be concerned with. Is it true that E-bay/Pay-pal only guarantees the initial deposit payment of $2,000.

I just sold a 2007 C6 instead of taking a ridiculous trade-in price of $25,000. The car sold for $30,000. I'm in Florida (Tampa and the winning bidder is in Pennsylvania). (I feel sorry for my baby, she has never been rain much less snow. I'm feeling guilty!!!)

In the process of getting a Stingray!
I didn't sell a car but I bought a car that was on Ebay and gave the dealer the buy it now price !!! A 2001 C5 coupe in 2011 !!! I also used the car exam service before I bought this car so it was a fly and drive home from LA to Seattle !!! I'm in the process of buying a new daily driver car ( 1964 Buick Riviera ) from LA !!! In March I bought my C7 Z-51 in another buy ,fly and drive from KC to Seattle !!! Wayne

Get notified of new replies

To Selling a car on Ebay

Quick Reply: Selling a car on Ebay