Sponsored by:

I'm finally taking the plunge into a C7

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 10:16 PM
plumalan
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 31 Posts

Default I'm finally taking the plunge into a C7

After an enormous amount of research and soul searching I am finally moving up to a C7 from my beloved C6. Quite honestly I wish I could keep my C6. It has been the best car I have ever owned and I've had a lot of them.

I have vacillated back and forth and wrestled with this dilemma for over a year now. Lost sleep and all the symptoms of "conflict". From the very first time I saw the C6 and then more recently the C7 I have loved them both. Yes even the C7 rear lights.

Quite honestly my C6 (2007) is as new as it was the day I bought it. I received quotes from various dealers as I began shopping and I became "ridiculously amused" at the idiotic offers I was receiving, and they varied widely. The stupidity of this process is they treat all trade-ins as having equal value. Yea, I know everyone thinks their car is worth more than they are offered. All trade-ins of same year cars are not equal and my car was a shining example.

I ended up selling it on E-Bay, (it sold in a week), and got an additional $5,000 to go toward my C7, which afforded me the opportunity to add a couple of expensive features that I would normally not have ordered.

So here is what I got. I will provide pictures when I actually take possession at the end of next week.

Arctic White
Adrenaline Red 3 LT interior
Z51
Red calipers
Visible Carbon fiber roof panel with body surround color
Competition seats
Carbon fiber interior trim
Carbon flash painted spoiler and mirrors
Full length carbon flash dual racing stripe package
Black wheels
Magnetic selective ride control
7 spd manual
Premium carpeted floor mats
Few more incidentals.

BTW the black wheels will be up for sale, because I bought a mint set of Z51 chrome wheels off of E-bay for $800, including shipping.

Hope this wasn't too wordy, but I thought a number of you might relate to my dilemma. I am not a wealthy man so when I buy something, especially something this expensive, I want to get my moneys worth. I got 9.2% off of MSRP. I'm financing about 50% of this because I would rather use someone else's money at 1.75%, than use mine.

BTW - I will probably use the proceeds from the black wheels to purchase a clear targa top for the car since I enjoyed it so much on my C6. I also have a brand new C6 targa clear top for sale now. It did not go with the car. I'm out guys.

PS when I first saw the price of the competition seats, awhile back I went ballistic and thought how stupid for seats. Then I had a chance to sit on them and wow, they fit me like cocoon and I was hooked. Oh well its only $!

Last edited by plumalan; 01-10-2015 at 03:04 PM. Reason: More information
Old 01-09-2015, 10:27 PM
OVERULD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 296 Likes on 214 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Congrats on the new C7. It sounds like a beauty. White with red guts is classic and the stripes and CF mirrors/spoilers will be killer. Good call on the chrome wheels too. I've got a Laguna Blue Z51 3LT M7 'Vert with black top, Brownstone Competition Seats, all the sueded microfiber inserts/wheel/shifter, chrome wheels CF mirrors/spoilers, and a bunch of other goodies on order for Museum Delivery. Very similar cars in many respects. Looking forward to seeing your pics. Enjoy it in good health!

BJ
Old 01-09-2015, 10:30 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Congrats. I traded my '08 C6 coupe on my AW C7 vert last April. I haven't missed my C6 for one minute.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:36 PM
alienranch
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Congrats! I had a C6 and loved it. C7 is even better.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:49 PM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

Congrats! Looking forward to some pics when she arrives.
Old 01-10-2015, 12:59 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,305 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Congrats on purchasing your C7 - sounds like a nicely equipped car. Looking forward to seeing the pics.
Old 01-10-2015, 01:09 AM
bglmn
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're not gonna believe how quickly you forget about your

beloved C6! (...same combo as mine....hope

privacy wasn't important to you)
Old 01-10-2015, 05:25 AM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

You've done a thorough job of figuring all the angles and then some to get what you want at the cheapest price. Mission accomplished. Enjoy the new ride, it's a nice combo.
Old 01-10-2015, 06:41 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Congrats on you purchase. Very smart to shop your car (trade-in) to get a feel for what it's worth. Sometimes the tax saving can make up for the hit you take selling it out right, but with a Corvette, you are more likely to do better selling to a private party (as you discovered) than letting a dealer grab it.

I have found that you really have to fight to get a reasonable amount for any trade with a dealer. Usually you can get an idea by looking to dealerships that have a similar car to your and see what they are asking. Then go in with a price for your car that will give the dealer a decent profit (generally the dealer would prefer an obscene profit), but it is still a uphill and fatiguing battle.

I find myself strangely drawn to the C6 Corvettes (especially the GS) and this only occurred after buying my C7 (I have been out of Corvettes for 20 years) dumping my C4 and not seeing enough of a change to excite me until the C7. Now that I'm paying more attention to Corvettes I encounter while driving (exchanging waves), the C6 really was a beauty I had overlooked.

The C6 are exceptionally nice looking and (from what I've read) very nice cars to drive (especially if the one you had was trouble-free). I do think you will love your new C7 even more than the C6.

Best of luck with it.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:28 AM
MikeC4C5C6...C7
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 199 Likes on 116 Posts

Drove my 2006 C6 95000 miles with just one non-maintenance repair. Great car and I loved every minute of it.

But, but, the C7 is a whole new better experience in every way. You will LOVE this car! Congratulations.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:30 AM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Congratulations!! I traded my 2007 modified convertible recently for the C7 Z51 coupe. I really wished I could have kept both but there was no way I could swing that for a weekend car.

You won't be sorry!!!
Old 01-10-2015, 09:29 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

When I got my C7, sold all the older model Corvettes. Knew I was never going to drive them. My C4 only had 10,000 miles and was all original, drove the C4 a few days after I acquired the C7, that drive convinced me to sell it.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:40 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

congratulations on your new C7. Looking at the equipment you got you did it right!
Old 01-10-2015, 10:25 AM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by plumalan
I have vacillated back and forth and wrestled with this dilemma for over a year now. Lost sleep and all the symptoms of "conflict".
Congrats!

I "stressed" so much I got shingles. My wife said I could NOT sell my C3 that we have owned for 24 years. Okay dear!
Old 01-10-2015, 10:37 AM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Congratulations.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:46 AM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

After an enormous amount of research and soul searching I am finally moving up to a C7 from my beloved C6. Quite honestly I wish I could keep my C6. It has been the best car I have ever owned and I've had a lot of them.

I have vacillated back and forth and wrestled with this dilemma for over a year now. Lost sleep and all the symptoms of "conflict". From the very first time I saw the C6 and then more recently the C7 I have loved them both. Yes even the C7 rear lights.

Quite honestly my C6 (2007) is as new as it was the day I bought it. I received quotes from various dealers as I began shopping and I became "ridiculously amused" at the idiotic offers I was receiving, and they varied widely. The stupidity of this process is they treat all trade-ins as having equal value. Yea, I know everyone thinks their car is worth more than they are offered. All trade-ins of same year cars are not equal and my car was a shining example.

I ended up selling it on E-Bay, (it sold in a week), and got an additional $5,000 to go toward my C7, which afforded me the opportunity to add a couple of expensive features that I would normally not have ordered.

So here is what I got. I will provide pictures when I actually take possession at the end of next week.

Arctic White
Z51
Red calipers
Competition seats
Black wheels
7 spd manual
Few more incidentals.

BTW the black wheels will be up for sale, because I bought a mint set of Z51 chrome wheels off of E-bay for $800, including shipping.

Hope this wasn't too wordy, but I thought a number of you might relate to my dilemma. I am not a wealthy man so when I buy something, especially something this expensive, I want to get my moneys worth. I got 9.2% off of MSRP. I'm financing about 50% of this because I would rather use someone else's money at 1.75%, than use mine.

BTW - I will probably use the proceeds from the black wheels to purchase a clear targa top for the car since I enjoyed it so much on my C6.
I'm out guys.
A little off subject.Being that you went with the 3LT Z51 with options,
Why wouldn't you have just went with the Z06?I would have.
I didn't want to spend the money so I just went with the 1LT no options.Thanks for your time.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:32 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,929 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Get notified of new replies

To I'm finally taking the plunge into a C7

Old 01-10-2015, 02:36 PM
plumalan
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Z06 scares

Originally Posted by thrilled
A little off subject.Being that you went with the 3LT Z51 with options,
Why wouldn't you have just went with the Z06?I would have.
I didn't want to spend the money so I just went with the 1LT no options.Thanks for your time.
I would kill myself in that car! The car stickered at almost $80,000 so not far from a Z06 but I couldn't handle one. The $80 was as far as I could afford anyhow!
Old 01-10-2015, 02:50 PM
WELOVEVETTES
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Arctic White
Z51
Red calipers
Competition seats
Black wheels
7 spd manual
Few more incidentals.

BTW - I will probably use the proceeds from the black wheels to purchase a clear targa top for the car since I enjoyed it so much on my C6.
I'm out guys.

800 sounds like a really good deal on the wheels too!

Enjoy the new ride!
Old 01-10-2015, 03:19 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,579 Likes on 1,646 Posts

I sold my 2012 C6 coupe to buy my C7 vert. I loved that C6 but driving my C7 is waaaay better!!!

Quick Reply: I'm finally taking the plunge into a C7