Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clearance issues with front splitter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 12:30 AM
Thumpa
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Clearance issues with front splitter?

I've asked a few questions in other threads about front splitters, but I want to make sure no one is having clearance issues before I spend the money. No matter what angle I attempt or how slow I go, the plastic flaps under the front always seem to hit the curb when I pull out of my driveway, as you can see in this picture. And I'm sure I'll run into steeper inclines in daily use of the car. Did other people have the same problem before installing a front splitter and still not have any clearance issues with the splitter? I REALLY want the Lashway splitter and skirts, but I don't want to have issues with clearance. Just looking for some peace of mind before I order them this week!
Old 01-13-2015, 06:22 AM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

forget the useless lower deflectors

Old 01-13-2015, 06:51 PM
Thumpa
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the detailed response. I just ordered them. Can't wait!
Old 01-13-2015, 07:00 PM
Joy c7
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 238 Posts

If you remove the deflectors would that not effect the cooling of the car?
Old 01-13-2015, 08:08 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Joy c7
If you remove the deflectors would that not effect the cooling of the car?
No, that's not what they're for.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:57 PM
lancekl
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
No, that's not what they're for.
What are they for? Gas Mileage?
Old 01-13-2015, 09:01 PM
Joy c7
Drifting

I've got the Z06 stage 1 splitter on order and I like the clean look without the deflectors. Are the deflectors used for down force? Joy
Old 01-13-2015, 09:08 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by Joy c7
I've got the Z06 stage 1 splitter on order and I like the clean look without the deflectors. Are the deflectors used for down force? Joy
I think that is right... The front air dams work in conjunction with the size of the rear spoiler to balance the front and rear down force..
On the Z51, they are smaller to allow more air under the car for the brake deflectors and ducts to pick up.

I installed the Z06 splitter on my Stingray and left the air dams on, including the center section since there are no brake deflectors or rear brake ducts.

The GM splitter gave me 6 inches of clearance on the front edge with the car at stock height.

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 01-13-2015 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:14 PM
Joy c7
Drifting

Thank you for your answer.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:39 PM
OVERULD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 296 Likes on 214 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
The GM splitter gave me 6 inches of clearance on the front edge with the car at stock height.
Any issues with the wide speed humps you see in neigborhoods?
Old 01-13-2015, 10:01 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
I think that is right... The front air dams work in conjunction with the size of the rear spoiler to balance the front and rear down force..
On the Z51, they are smaller to allow more air under the car for the brake deflectors and ducts to pick up.

I installed the Z06 splitter on my Stingray and left the air dams on, including the center section since there are no brake deflectors or rear brake ducts.

Owners of the C7 should not really be concerned about downfroce when driving your C7 under normal road conditions. Anyone thinking that by having the rear wing/spoiler, front air dam will make a major difference in downforce is really kidding themselves. In this application on the C7 Stingray and Z51 they are for cosmetics and appearence, thus the creation of the ZF1 Appearence Pkg that GM offers.

For those who have decided to go the Z06 route with supercharged engines and track the car, the front air dam, rear spoiler/wing will assist in some additional downforce under high speed track racing and conditions. But keep in mind I mention high speed, not 35, 45, 65 miles an hour.

If anyone thinks that driving the C7 Stingray or Z51 at normal speeds on US roads and highways, that you are creating a significent downforce by having the front air dam and rear wing/spoiler are quite mislead.

I am sure that any aerodynamic engineer will agree. It takes more than a front air dam and rear spoiler to create true downforce. In all my racing of F1000 Formula race cars, there are front wings, adjustable rear wings, side strakes, rear diffusers, belly pans, and other aerodynamic parts that are all needed to create true downforce.

Looking at an F1000 race car or at a F1 race car will provide a good idea of the aerodynamics that are required for downforce.

So keep in mind on the C7 Stingray and Z51, these parts are for appearence, cosmetics and the "cool" look, but have little to any contributing factor in true downforce when driving on US roads and highways.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:47 AM
bapd77
Safety Car

Received 418 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by nmvettec7
Owners of the C7 should not really be concerned about downfroce when driving your C7 under normal road conditions. Anyone thinking that by having the rear wing/spoiler, front air dam will make a major difference in downforce is really kidding themselves. In this application on the C7 Stingray and Z51 they are for cosmetics and appearence, thus the creation of the ZF1 Appearence Pkg that GM offers.

For those who have decided to go the Z06 route with supercharged engines and track the car, the front air dam, rear spoiler/wing will assist in some additional downforce under high speed track racing and conditions. But keep in mind I mention high speed, not 35, 45, 65 miles an hour.

If anyone thinks that driving the C7 Stingray or Z51 at normal speeds on US roads and highways, that you are creating a significent downforce by having the front air dam and rear wing/spoiler are quite mislead.

I am sure that any aerodynamic engineer will agree. It takes more than a front air dam and rear spoiler to create true downforce. In all my racing of F1000 Formula race cars, there are front wings, adjustable rear wings, side strakes, rear diffusers, belly pans, and other aerodynamic parts that are all needed to create true downforce.

Looking at an F1000 race car or at a F1 race car will provide a good idea of the aerodynamics that are required for downforce.

So keep in mind on the C7 Stingray and Z51, these parts are for appearence, cosmetics and the "cool" look, but have little to any contributing factor in true downforce when driving on US roads and highways.
He/she only asked if there were clearance issues with the splitter, not an engineering lesson.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:02 AM
BIG Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 4,684 Likes on 1,862 Posts

Originally Posted by bapd77
He/she only asked if there were clearance issues with the splitter, not an engineering lesson.
Maybe so. But I still appreciate the information from nmvettec7. Knowledge is a beautiful thing.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:55 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by OVERULD
Any issues with the wide speed humps you see in neigborhoods?
I still avoid obviously deep gutters, but have not hit anything, including speed bumps.

It goes without saying that you can probably count on one hand the number of people here that have installed the spoilers for down force.
Whether they should be installed or left off came up due to the question about whether they affect cooling.

However, it is worth noting that if you do drive the car at a speed where the extra aerodynamics have effect, the Corvette has more down force than any other production street car.

The clue on why I installed mine is that you do not measure downforce with a ruler.

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 01-14-2015 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:12 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,821 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Splitter is on order. Lower air deflectors are sitting on my workbench and have been there since I brought the car home from the dealer delivey. Don't need them as all they do is scrape the driveway.

Elmer

Get notified of new replies

To Clearance issues with front splitter?

Quick Reply: Clearance issues with front splitter?