Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer screwed up my car

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 10:54 PM
Rossi6998
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

My question would be - "Why is the Corvette mechanic not working on my Corvette?" There is too much to screw up on this cars for the Corvette mechanic not to work on it...

Good luck!
Old 01-13-2015, 11:16 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

If it were me I would, first call the dealership and tell them not to do anything until I got back, second, call another dealer. In your case Kerbeck seems to be the best choice, ask to speak with the service manager and get his opinion on your situation. If Kerbesk says that they will fix your problem, then get it the heck away from where it is.
Most likely they will not want to deal with it as the aforementioned "finger pointing will occur".
At worst, Kerbeck might fix you up for a few bucks and you would have peace of mind. And a new dealer to service your car.
Hope Vegas was good and best of luck on your adventure.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:04 AM
911Tr8er
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have two comments. Well one is a question. I was under the impression that we drove our own cars at Vegas track. Am I wrong?
Now for the good news. I have worked on cars for over 40 years and this sounds to me like a very simple linkage adjustment. While I have been a 911 guy for 30 years I have worked on Detroit Iron as well. A linkage that is just slightly out of adjustment will make yoiu think the synchros need replacement. I have actually had a Porsche Master Mechanic try to convince me that I needed a tranny rebuild so I went to North American Transaxle that rebuilds and ships Euro-trannies all over the US. They showed me how to fix problem. Cost me a couple of cases of beer but that was a lot better than $5000. I think you should have posted in Perf forum. I know how hard it is to know someone screwed up your car but I would be willing to bet that someone who knows what they are doing could put your Z51 in fine order in an hour or so. And never go back to that dealer!
Old 01-14-2015, 12:34 AM
swaite
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Tr8er
I have two comments. Well one is a question. I was under the impression that we drove our own cars at Vegas track. Am I wrong?
Now for the good news. I have worked on cars for over 40 years and this sounds to me like a very simple linkage adjustment. While I have been a 911 guy for 30 years I have worked on Detroit Iron as well. A linkage that is just slightly out of adjustment will make yoiu think the synchros need replacement. I have actually had a Porsche Master Mechanic try to convince me that I needed a tranny rebuild so I went to North American Transaxle that rebuilds and ships Euro-trannies all over the US. They showed me how to fix problem. Cost me a couple of cases of beer but that was a lot better than $5000. I think you should have posted in Perf forum. I know how hard it is to know someone screwed up your car but I would be willing to bet that someone who knows what they are doing could put your Z51 in fine order in an hour or so. And never go back to that dealer!
You drive there cars (2015 z51 coupes)
I assume you are correct about the linkage, to replace the tank sensor I was told the pulled the rear diff, bumper cover, exhaust, trans, rear suspension and gas tank.....hope the did not screw anything else up
Old 01-14-2015, 01:19 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,302 Likes on 13,975 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I'd probably take it to another dealer too as I wouldn't trust that mechanic to fix it right - heck, he may cause more problems.
Old 01-14-2015, 03:26 AM
tomc8at
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sell it... Now
Old 01-14-2015, 06:30 AM
RandomTask
Race Director

Received 276 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by EBSDallas
I'm not a lawyer but I think the warranty only covers defects in "materials and workmanship"; it won't cover stuff screwed up by an angry, incompetent mechanic at a different dealership. Then you potentially have the OP caught between two dealerships (and possibly GM) pointing the finger at each other.

Not a good place to be IMO.

EBS
It should. Provided the current work is being done by a certified GM mechanic, it should be covered.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:23 AM
swaite
Racer

Originally Posted by tomc8at
Sell it... Now
I hope this is a joke, I have zero intentions of selling....now if GM wants to upgrade me to a 2lt z06 I'm sure it would go a long way in making me feel better
Old 01-14-2015, 08:27 AM
pastohio
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Warranty work...

I'm not a lawyer but I think the warranty only covers defects in "materials and workmanship"; it won't cover stuff screwed up by an angry, incompetent mechanic at a different dealership. Then you potentially have the OP caught between two dealerships (and possibly GM) pointing the finger at each other.

EBS
Agree...my son had his Chevy in at one dealership, they had the car for 7 weeks, put in new tranny etc...he kept telling them it was the shifting mech...he couldn't get a loaner nor get straight answers even after he opened a complaint with GM, he gets the car back, drove it for a week or so, and near a different dealer ( about 40 miles away) locked up doing 60 MPH on the freeway, had to push car off onto berm, called and nearby dealer sent wrecker, they had the car for 3 weeks finally got around to it ( by the way did without car for 3 weeks , had to borrow) they said it was the linkage, fixed it and now kept threatening my son it wasn't covered under waranty ( yea, service manager one day complained to my son that they don't get enough from GM for many repairs, they try to get from customers) after 3 weeks of threatening my son to pay the bill, get this, the GM complaint person told my son he should have taken the car back to the original dealer and forced them to fix it right !!) The other dealership was 40 miles, PLUS warranty works only for towing to nearest dealer !! I think when people actually have warranty problems, you see how you are treated !! The dealers also aren't as good as they used to be...my $.02
Old 01-14-2015, 09:42 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,928 Likes on 4,810 Posts

At this point I would let them fix it, I think you have their attention. They did correct the other errors, that is a bit of a reach for something positive on my part.
When you return if it is not fixed than you can take it elsewhere and elevate the sloppy work at this dealer to Management and GM.
I would once again speak with the Service Manager before you leave express you dissatisfaction to this point, your concerns with the Mechanic and your expectations forwhen you return and pick your car up.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:14 AM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 196 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by Wm Rose
Kerbeck is less than an hour from you. I'd take it there when you get back, and I bet you'll get better service, since they're a big Vette dealer. I bought my C7 there. I haven't needed service yet, but that's where I'd take it, if it needed warrantee work.
Another vote for Kerbeck.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:25 AM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

EBS
Of course it covers it. You think warranty wouldn’t cover a transmission repair/replacement if the dealer failed to put fluid in it? Don
Old 01-14-2015, 11:04 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Hi swaite,

Our sincerest apologies! We know that you're likely on your way to Vegas, but as soon as you're able to please send us your VIN, mileage, contact info and the dealer you've been working with. We're happy to look into any questions or concerns further.

Marissa
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 01-14-2015, 11:14 AM
swaite
Racer

Thank you,
I sent you a pm with the info

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Hi swaite,

Our sincerest apologies! We know that you're likely on your way to Vegas, but as soon as you're able to please send us your VIN, mileage, contact info and the dealer you've been working with. We're happy to look into any questions or concerns further.

Marissa
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 01-14-2015, 11:20 AM
JRYELLOWCORVETTE
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

Not ALL Chevy Dealers should be allowed to Sell or Service Corvettes. That is one big mistake that GM is making. Why don't they get it!
Old 01-14-2015, 11:22 AM
jrainlay
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by swaite
Thank you,
I sent you a pm with the info
Kudos to Chevy Customer Service for getting involved!
Old 01-14-2015, 11:22 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 933 Likes on 488 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by JRYELLOWCORVETTE
Not ALL Chevy Dealers should be allowed to Sell or Service Corvettes. That is one big mistake that GM is making. Why don't they get it!
they totally get it...dealers are required to spend $ for training and tools, some choose not to do that.

makes perfect sense...

Get notified of new replies

To Dealer screwed up my car

Old 01-14-2015, 11:42 AM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

I think you have to follow through at the dealership. See if they fix it. Give GM Customer Service the full story. Hopefully, the dealership will fix it. If not, GM Customer Service will help you get a different dealership to straighten it out.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:47 AM
HighTeq
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Glad to hear the camera is now working...

In all seriousness, it's probably a linkage issue. Easy fix.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:05 PM
Jpiatchek
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Shifter- had same problem

When I had my 2012 C6 they put in a new clutch at 1800 miles. When I got it back I had the same or similar problem. If I remember correctly, I had to put pressure on the shifter and force it to the left to get it in to second and had trouble downshifting. They told me to drive it a couple of days and it would loosen up. After about 5 miles of having to force shift it, I took it back. Left it about half a day and they fixed it.
They never did explain the problem, other than something out of alignment. After that it shifted fine.

Quick Reply: Dealer screwed up my car