C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a TPW of 2/16 selling my car ?AutoHero?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 04:32 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
Default Got a TPW of 2/16 selling my car ?AutoHero?

Need to sell my car, got it listed on the C6 forum. But I got an offer from AutoHero. Has anyone on here dealt with them or know anything about them. Their offer is WAY higher than what I am asking for the car.
Would like to believe it but? My C7 will be here end of February, first of March so it would be good to have the cash before it arrives.
Searching the net but not much comes up so asking for any kind of help from members. Anyone got a clue?
Old 01-23-2015, 04:37 PM
Blue2015
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As with any transaction, use common sense. If they're willing to give you more money than you're asking, that's great. But, seems a bit suspicious.

In any case, if they're willing to give you cash. I'd at least take it to the next step.

Don't be willing to cash a check greater than the selling price of the car and then send them the difference. Cash is always best. Personal checks are probably a bad idea. A cashiers check is not bad (verify that the bank is actually a bank, call them to verify that the funds / check is good.) Don't take anything drawn on a bank that is outside the country.

etc... etc... etc...
Old 01-23-2015, 06:05 PM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Mohit
As with any transaction, use common sense. If they're willing to give you more money than you're asking, that's great. But, seems a bit suspicious.

In any case, if they're willing to give you cash. I'd at least take it to the next step.

Don't be willing to cash a check greater than the selling price of the car and then send them the difference. Cash is always best. Personal checks are probably a bad idea. A cashiers check is not bad (verify that the bank is actually a bank, call them to verify that the funds / check is good.) Don't take anything drawn on a bank that is outside the country.

etc... etc... etc...
I would even be leery of a cashier check. I have read that it can take a week to ten days before you find out if the check is good. I was told by my bank that I could not access monies deposited via cashier check for 24 hours. May be too many ways to make it appear money is availabe, but be pulled before transfer. Long after you car is driven with a signed title.

Be very careful..........
Old 01-23-2015, 06:15 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret
I would even be leery of a cashier check. I have read that it can take a week to ten days before you find out if the check is good. I was told by my bank that I could not access monies deposited via cashier check for 24 hours. May be too many ways to make it appear money is availabe, but be pulled before transfer. Long after you car is driven with a signed title.

Be very careful..........
+1, I received a bank check for a MINI Cooper a couple years ago. It was drawn on a bank in Houston. I called the bank and yes they were in business but they said the check was a counterfeit and no good.

The clue was the FedEx package the check was in. It looked like it had been through the ringer. I called FedEx to trace it and guess what, it originated in Nigeria. Cost the idiot over $50 to get it to me so he lost money. Needless to say, I sold the car to CarMax the next week.

Be careful.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:49 PM
ram2500
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any update?

rcooper, did you end up selling the car through AutoHero? I was looking to go through them as well and wanted to know how your experience went through the process if you chose to go with them.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:11 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by ram2500
rcooper, did you end up selling the car through AutoHero? I was looking to go through them as well and wanted to know how your experience went through the process if you chose to go with them.
sent you a PM
Old 01-30-2015, 10:08 AM
Spinny
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rcooper
sent you a PM
If it sounds too good to be true, it generally is. I was a prosecutor for many years and have seen scams that would fool all but the most financially sophisticated seller. If it were I, I would insist on cash (checked by your bank to be certain it is real) or a wire transfer to your bank, and not hand over title or the car until the money is actually in your account.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:00 PM
SharkGrayStingray
Drifting

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

whats the update. And ill add, if doing the transaction in person (not thru mail), meet at either a bank or police station. If it's a scam they will prob not want to meet at either...
Old 01-30-2015, 05:29 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by SharkGrayStingray
whats the update. And ill add, if doing the transaction in person (not thru mail), meet at either a bank or police station. If it's a scam they will prob not want to meet at either...
Sold it to them. They are owned by a large German auto group that brokers car, I guess. The name of the company is U.S. Buyers Group, Inc.
Easy transaction and the check cleared without problem. They are apparently ramping up in the U.S. to buy and sell in high volume, make a few bucks off of each transaction, go to the next one, over and over. The "Auto Hero" is a dba, I believe.
They have a nice lot and set up here in Austin. I don't think it's a hide in plain sight operation.

Last edited by rcooper; 01-30-2015 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:50 PM
oyealiz
Team Owner

Received 232 Likes on 119 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'16

That's awesome! Why did they give you more than you were asking, though? Did they not know what you were asking?
Old 01-30-2015, 11:51 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '15

They had no clue what I was asking. I got an online "invitation" while researching pricing and I answered it. Made an appointment for a couple of days later, got their offer and sold it to them a couple of days after.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:49 AM
oyealiz
Team Owner

Received 232 Likes on 119 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'16

They had no clue what I was asking. I got an online "invitation" while researching pricing and I answered it. Made an appointment for a couple of days later, got their offer and sold it to them a couple of days after.
Amazing! Glad it worked out for you!
Old 01-31-2015, 01:32 PM
SharkGrayStingray
Drifting

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Sold it to them. They are owned by a large German auto group that brokers car, I guess. The name of the company is U.S. Buyers Group, Inc.
Easy transaction and the check cleared without problem. They are apparently ramping up in the U.S. to buy and sell in high volume, make a few bucks off of each transaction, go to the next one, over and over. The "Auto Hero" is a dba, I believe.
They have a nice lot and set up here in Austin. I don't think it's a hide in plain sight operation.
thats awesome. good for you

Get notified of new replies

To Got a TPW of 2/16 selling my car ?AutoHero?

Quick Reply: Got a TPW of 2/16 selling my car ?AutoHero?