Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NMVette if I had your money I'd burn mine --LOL just kidding--your are blessed
Old 02-07-2015, 09:15 PM
corvettemonster
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by mpuzach
A number of posters here have cited Porsche's "better build quality". I'm very interested in knowing what in their opinions better build quality consists of. What do you see in the Porsche that translates to "better build quality"?
Test drive a 911 Turbo or GT3...then you'll see why a Porsche is of better quality.

Now, is a Porsche Turbo or GT3 worth twice the money?? Yes, if money is on your side.
Old 02-08-2015, 02:07 AM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

A number of posters here have cited Porsche's "better build quality". I'm very interested in knowing what in their opinions better build quality consists of. What do you see in the Porsche that translates to "better build quality"?
Originally Posted by corvettemonster
Test drive a 911 Turbo or GT3...then you'll see why a Porsche is of better quality.

Now, is a Porsche Turbo or GT3 worth twice the money?? Yes, if money is on your side.
I doubt that I'll ever have an opportunity to drive either of those cars; that's why I asked the question. I'm just trying to get a sense of what people actually look at when they assess build quality. For me it's things like absence of squeaks and rattles, the way the parts fit together, alignment of adjacent parts, gaps, things like that. Based on those things, I'd have to say that my car's build quality is pretty darned good.
Old 02-08-2015, 03:11 AM
NASTYC7
Drifting

Received 433 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by ghostRder
NMVette if I had your money I'd burn mine --LOL just kidding--your are blessed

Give it to me..I'll burn it for you..
Old 02-08-2015, 07:37 AM
OrioleFan
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 33 Posts

I doubt that I'll ever have an opportunity to drive either of those cars; that's why I asked the question. I'm just trying to get a sense of what people actually look at when they assess build quality. For me it's things like absence of squeaks and rattles, the way the parts fit together, alignment of adjacent parts, gaps, things like that. Based on those things, I'd have to say that my car's build quality is pretty darned good.
Good question. I would say "build quality" can be conceptualized with all of the above.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:51 AM
csred58vette
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Default Porsche vs Corvette

I own both a Porsche and a C7 Corvette and both are great cars. The C-7 was my favorite to drive until I bought a new 991 Turbo but you can buy 3 corvettes for one Turbo so Corvette is still the best sports car in my opinion. Also as I have said before just look at Daytona 24 race who won. I rest my case.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:32 PM
racats
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I"m fortunate enough to have a 2016 Z06 and a couple of Porsches. The fit and finish of the Z06 is OK but the Porsches put it to shame. Chevy dropped the ball in several areas of construction and design for instance the seat heat - doesn't do anything. The Porsche will have you lowering the heat within a mile while the Z06 NEVER gets above lukewarm at any time. That's just one example of the difference between them. If ride quality is important, Porsche beat the Z06 hands down in any mode selected. If it's fit and finish and overall quality you're concerned about, go with Porsche. If all you want is the most performance for the $, go with the Z06.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:17 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,928 Likes on 4,810 Posts

I have owned 4 Porsches and I am on my 4th Vette. I would say the build quality is pretty close with a very slight edge to the Porsche. But to me that slight difference is not worth the cost difference.
The raw power and looks of the Vette closes the gap in build quality for me.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:40 PM
fun ticket
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

I had a Cayman and my comments are comparing that to a base c7 which i currently have.

Cayman was a better build quality hands down. Paint, seams, leather quality were all much better than the C7. Cayman handling was better than the C7 (but probably not a fair comparison since the Cayman is mid engine).

But......

Overall fun factor and what you get for money....C7 all day. The Cayman cannot match the sound of the C7 in my opinion. Nothing like a big V8, ever.

I believe the C7 is hands down the best value sports car on the planet. That point cannot be overstated in my opinion.

Yes, go get a GT3 or 911 Turbo and you will walk away going OMG......you will also walk away with A LOT less money in your bank account versus a C7 purchase.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:44 PM
JonMN
Safety Car

Received 1,023 Likes on 616 Posts

A lot of times this comes down to personal experience . . . I do not have enough $$ to compare several within a brand . . .

My Porsche experience was not positive. Should have had a clue when the AC control failed the day I drove it home . . . literally turned around on the way home and got a free rental while they fixed it!

My 911 had such high oil consumption I needed to argue for most of a year and ended up with a new (reman) engine. Then the clutch fell apart. The final straw was the two front radiators started leaking, which was a $3000 bill that was not covered, so I bailed.

My Vette experience, on the other hand has been wonderful. Statistically, I know this is good luck or bad luck, but it would be hard to go back to Porsche again.

Fun Ticket put it best! "I believe the C7 is hands down the best value sports car on the planet. That point cannot be overstated in my opinion."

Last edited by JonMN; 01-10-2017 at 08:45 AM.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:16 PM
KM1959
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 183 Posts

I've seen those articles and reviews as well but I think they do readers a disservice by summarizing the difference between the two as "Build Quality". I've found it can only be understood once you actually set foot in a Porsche dealer, sit in their cars and take it for a drive. A Porsche just FEELS and drives better - and I've owned 15 or so Corvettes and now have a 911 Turbo. What actually got me there was having a young family that could no longer fit in a Corvette. The unforeseen benefit to owning a Porsche is that I routinely get invited to events that I previously didn't know existed.

Does a 911S feel and drive $50K better than a Grand Sport??? That's for you to decide. The good news is that all you have to do is show up at a dealer - they are very accommodating - and find out.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:26 PM
2014BlkVette
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I do not have any of the Porsche cars you're considering, but I do have a '16 Panamera S e-hybrid. Third Porsche, and the build quality has always been unquestionable. No rattles, not a loose stitch anywhere, the car just seems well buttoned up.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:25 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

Don't believe what magazines say, just take what they say with a grain of salt. Anyways, Porsche's build quality is part fact and part perception. They do build tight cars but that doesn't mean some won't have rattles but for the most part a little tighter than the C7. GM still needs to improve on the Corvette's creaking over driveways, fit & finish, etc. As far as material quality I would say for what you're paying for (for a Porsche) they need to be better in some of their cars. And to those people saying the leather on their Cayman is better I wonder if their cars actually have leather or is it fake leatherette?? LOL That said the non 3LT/LZ leather seats on a Corvette feel almost like sand paper so perhaps GM should use fake leather on those trims as well. Also, those $65K Cayman's are not that different in interior quality than a loaded $35K VW Passat. Even the $90K 911's are not all that considering what you're paying for. Sure load one up to $130K and they get much better but imagine what GM could do if they spend a few more thousand on interior quality??

Not knocking Porsche here. They do make good driving cars that seem to hold up pretty well but they are vastly over-priced for what you get for as a whole package (looks, performance, standard features, etc). But they have great PR and marketing and make just a low enough volume of cars (as opposed to GM overproducing the Corvette) to feed into their perceptions and desirability.

That said, I hope GM continues to improve the interior quality of the Corvette and perhaps even offer a 4LT package with richer materials, etc. to shut up the few negative criticisms that are still out there.

Last edited by DaveFerrari458; 01-09-2017 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:39 PM
selo
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

On my 5th Porsche and keep threatening to get a 'vette. In general, I agree the Porsches are somewhat better build quality, but probably not enough to justify their cost.
One caveat, though: the 987 and 997 build quality, from about 2005-2011, was really pretty poor.
The new series of Boxster/Cayman and 911, aka, 981 and 991, are head and shoulders above the previous Porsche's build quality. I'm assuming the comparison should be current model to current model. If the comparison were new Corvette to last model Porsche, which some might make due to the fact that prices might be pretty close for an older 911 to a new Vette, the equation heavily favors a new Vette imo, no question.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:19 PM
Vyper340
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by corvettemonster
Currently have a 2014 GT3 Porsche and 2011 SSB Carbon Edition Z06; have also driven a friend's new Z06. This is how I would rate the fit, finish and driving experience of all three 1-10, with 10 being tops.

Porsche GT3
Interior/Exterior/Driving Experience
10/10/10

**truly feels and sounds like a race car, Le Mans style...it's just simply out of this world good. Also, feels very compact as if the whole car were one solid piece. Not to mention the mechanical noise at 8000-9000 RPM's....wow.

2011 CE Z06
7/8/8.5

*basically a ZR1 with a naturally aspirated engine; exhaust crackles like a bastard, simply a sinister sound. Wish the chassis had a pinch tighter feel.

C7 Z06
8.5/9/9

**I personally like the CE Z06 naturally aspirated engine better, but this Z06 is down-right nasty in it's own right. Super tight, responsive chassis. and, to me, feels smaller than it really is which gave me confidence to put the petal to the metal.

In either case, they are all awesome.
Agree with this for the most part
Old 01-09-2017, 09:25 PM
gjnockie
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I have owned many 911's and other Porsche's. They have all been fantastic. Bought a 17 GS because it will only be a weekend car and I maybe will put 2k miles a year on it. The Corvette has a long way to go to even be in the same realm as Porsche in regard to build quality. My new GS already has issues that need to be addressed and it only has 120 miles on it. My 2013 427 Vert was so bad that I can't believe I took another chance and bought another one.

The worst thing about having problems is the quality of service you receive from most Chevy dealers. If they fix your issue the first time and not damage your car in the process consider yourself lucky!
The following users liked this post:
oldC5 (01-10-2017)
Old 01-09-2017, 09:34 PM
mjcourt
Pro

Received 118 Likes on 73 Posts

It's great to see so many car people on here who cross shop Porsche and Corvettes and not just insist on just one brand. I also own both and really can't add much to all the comments above.
One thing that is true in my area is the difference in dealership attitude when it comes to test driving cars. Out Chevy dealers won't let you test drive a new Z06 or Stingray without you starting all the purchase paperwork. Whereas the Porsche dealership will let me drive any car I ask to drive. They had no problem with my wife and I driving one of the 2017 917 S last weekend just to check out the new turbo engine.

Get notified of new replies

To Porsche build quality vs Corvette build quality

Old 01-09-2017, 09:40 PM
Richard Ames
Drifting

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

Friend just bought a Cayman. His matainance is easily 3 times a Corvette. That and lack of luggage space for touring makes the Corvette my choice.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:45 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Originally Posted by fun ticket
I had a Cayman and my comments are comparing that to a base c7 which i currently have.

Cayman was a better build quality hands down. Paint, seams, leather quality were all much better than the C7. Cayman handling was better than the C7 (but probably not a fair comparison since the Cayman is mid engine).

But......

Overall fun factor and what you get for money....C7 all day. The Cayman cannot match the sound of the C7 in my opinion. Nothing like a big V8, ever.

I believe the C7 is hands down the best value sports car on the planet. That point cannot be overstated in my opinion.

Yes, go get a GT3 or 911 Turbo and you will walk away going OMG......you will also walk away with A LOT less money in your bank account versus a C7 purchase.

^^^ This.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:19 PM
OVR60
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin City
The only thing i would rate my C7 in poorly is build quality.

My paint is simply horrible for a car of this price and prestige.

There are areas of my 3LT Leather interior that look like it came from an Elephant. No way it would pass any Euro maker.

Panel gaps are also way too varied.

Why do I say this? Because Chevy needs to get the message and improve itself. Corvette owners deserve better for their money.
Well said and how can you compare the interior and paint quality to the Aston Martin or any other exotic when it is such a high production car. When you are spending close to $100k for a car you should expect more than Bolt quality instead of accepting anything.

Quick Reply: Porsche build quality vs Corvette build quality