Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello, New to Forum, Need Financial Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 01:37 PM
FlashofRed
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When money is so cheap to borrow, you would be doing yourself a disservice by paying cash or paying a large down payment. Finance the max you can afford. The best advice I can give you is to spend other peoples' money, e.g., banks, credit unions, etc., when the rates to borrow are less than the rates you can earn through investments. The ideal situation would be to let your investments' earnings pay for the financing of your Stingray.

Last edited by FlashofRed; 02-09-2015 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:45 PM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by bapd77
I don't agree with overfunding your retirement. I feel you should enjoy life. You're living in the now and planning for the future is important, but remember...the future is never guaranteed. Sacrificing some luxuries for a future you may never experience is not reasonable to me. I have a pension I very much hope to draw one day, but that isn't a certainty. I believe we should have balance and enjoy life now as well.
Me too. I don't think you go through life only thinking about retirement.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:45 PM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

You are single, make a good living, and sound like a responsible individual. Why not. The 20K downpayment isn't going to change your life in the long run one way or the other so why not get some enjoyment out of life if this is a passion of yours. The operative word is "responsible" which you appear to be.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:50 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Get a credit union discount or a supplier cert save about 5500 off list and finance the rest. 1.9% money for 72 months at some places 2.25 others so invest your money and get the car.
z51vett
Doug
Old 02-09-2015, 01:56 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,136 Likes on 1,742 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

I don't agree with overfunding your retirement. I feel you should enjoy life. You're living in the now and planning for the future is important, but remember...the future is never guaranteed. Sacrificing some luxuries for a future you may never experience is not reasonable to me. I have a pension I very much hope to draw one day, but that isn't a certainty. I believe we should have balance and enjoy life now as well.
this is my take on life!
Old 02-09-2015, 02:07 PM
FurLover
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you everyone for your feedback. I am hearing a lot of good advice on here. I also appreciate the kind comments, as I've worked very hard to get to this point in my life where I have my home (with a must have garage), a stable and good paying job, and an opportunity to own a new Corvette, something I've been wanting to do since 2005. Yes, I actually bought the home with buying a new Corvette at some point in mind. I wouldn't buy the Corvette until I had a home with a garage so I could keep it safe from the elements.

Oh, and yes, I do have excellent credit, 815 the last I checked.

I'm leaning more and more towards purchasing now. I can see a Shark (Gray) and a Ray in my garage.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:59 PM
EvoX2008
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy it now and take advantage of the free money loan!
Old 02-09-2015, 03:22 PM
Tobynt
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I am 38 years old. I started life out frugal and it has paid dividends. Take your 20K and invest in yourself. Open a small business, pay off all of your debt.....do more then buy a car.
Old 02-09-2015, 03:34 PM
pbarrows
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by FurLover
Hello!

I am new to the forum as I am currently researching the purchase of a new C7.

My first post is actually an odd one, about financial advice.

I am someone who is fairly frugal but am willing to spend the money on the car. Yet, the practical side of me is saying don't do it. Here is my situation...

I am 35 years old and make just under 100k a year. I contribute regularly to my 401K and max out my Roth IRA every year. The only debt I have is my mortgage and whatever monthly expenses I buy, mainly food. I also have a daily driver which is paid for.

I am single with no children.

I plan on putting a substantial amount down on the car, just to lower the payments, probably around 20k or so. My car specd out is about 61k, so I'd be looking to finance around 40k.

On paper it looks like I can afford it. But I am torn. The practical part of me says I can take the money and put it towards my mortgage, either every month or with the down payment. Or I think, I can purchase more stocks, play dividends, buy more mutual funds, etc... and just keep waiting, and waiting, and waiting. But then I say, "where's the fun in that?" That's when the side of me says, "You love these cars, you have wanted one since 2005 and the C6, you have had a goal to reach to be able to afford one. Go ahead and get it and enjoy every moment of it."

So what should I do? Should I play it practical and behave, be responsible with my money, and just wait until I retire in 30 years before I buy a Corvette? Or should I indulge in the car and enjoy my life today?

By the way, my job is extremely stable, it isn't going anywhere.
Buy the car. Put less down, say 5k and put the rest towards your mortgage or invest it as interest rates a low.

Good Luck.
Old 02-09-2015, 03:52 PM
11B250
Melting Slicks

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

we're putting 15K down on our car which is 57K after said and done (plus 6% tax)

wife and I make over 100k, but we'r enot far from you. I say do it. if it doesn't work out, take your loss and move on. but many people that buy this car in our age bracket do it like the way yo udo (and me)

good luck. Invest in life, but don't forget about yourself.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:03 PM
ArcticC7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello!

I am someone who is fairly frugal but am willing to spend the money on the car. Yet, the practical side of me is saying don't do it. Here is my situation...

I am 35 years old and make just under 100k a year. I contribute regularly to my 401K and max out my Roth IRA every year. The only debt I have is my mortgage and whatever monthly expenses I buy, mainly food. I also have a daily driver which is paid for.

I plan on putting a substantial amount down on the car, just to lower the payments, probably around 20k or so. My car specd out is about 61k, so I'd be looking to finance around 40k.

On paper it looks like I can afford it. But I am torn. The practical part of me says I can take the money and put it towards my mortgage, either every month or with the down payment. Or I think, I can purchase more stocks, play dividends, buy more mutual funds, etc... and just keep waiting, and waiting, and waiting. But then I say, "where's the fun in that?" That's when the side of me says, "You love these cars, you have wanted one since 2005 and the C6, you have had a goal to reach to be able to afford one. Go ahead and get it and enjoy every moment of it."

So what should I do? Should I play it practical and behave, be responsible with my money, and just wait until I retire in 30 years before I buy a Corvette? Or should I indulge in the car and enjoy my life today?

Only you can make that decision. As someone that has owned 22 Corvettes im sure not the one to give you the proper advice as to what you should do with your money. Your payment should be in the area of $550-$600 a month financing @ $40K @ 72 months. I say go for it but look for a good deal on the car because they are out there.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:17 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,439 Likes on 14,048 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

It sounds like you have a sound mind for finances and have done well in managing your money.

That said, and not to sound morbid, but there is no guarantee that you will make it 30 years to retirement to enjoy that Corvette you have wanted since 2005. As long as you can continue to plan for your retirement, pay for your monthly expenses and enjoy your lifestyle, as well as have as secure a job as possible, there is nothing wrong with indulging in something like buying a sports car.

My opinion - get one and enjoy the heck out of of it. You only go through life once.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:22 PM
11B250
Melting Slicks

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

now if this thread was a little different and you were asking to buy a ferrari or a lambo with 20K down and finance 240K, things might have been diff. this is an affordable car. especially if it's your only car payment. you'll be fine and YOU need to enjoy yourself a little too.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:29 PM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Even though I am a CPA and I'm SUPPOSED to be frugal and a saver, my dad died at 61 and if you don't have balance, what do you have in the end? Money and no memories?

Enjoy life, you only get 1 go around!! And it tends to be relatively short!!
Old 02-09-2015, 04:42 PM
Algiers
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in about the same situation as you (age, finances etc.) and went back and forth a lot. I bought a C7 and I don't regret it one bit. Just research on here and get the best deal you can get. There are tons of discounts out there and don't feel you have to be stuck with your local dealer. The big forum dealers are a great resource for huge bargains.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:45 PM
SteveMcGuire
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Buy whatever you can afford...with cash that is. If you have to take out a loan, you can't afford it. Defer your play things until you can pay for them outright.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:51 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,291 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by SteveMcGuire
Buy whatever you can afford...with cash that is. If you have to take out a loan, you can't afford it. Defer your play things until you can pay for them outright.
From a purely financial standpoint that is horrible advice and based purely on emotion and feelings.

I could have paid cash for my C7. That would have been ~$70,000. Instead of doing that I got a loan from our Credit Union at less than 3% interest. Meanwhile that $70k I kept in an account that's consistently earned over 10% year over year would have quit earning 10%. Taking it out of that account to pay cash for the car would have been a stupid financial decision.

Paying cash for everything sounds warm and fuzzy, but is oft times the absolute wrong thing to do from a financial standpoint.

Get notified of new replies

To Hello, New to Forum, Need Financial Advice

Old 02-09-2015, 04:58 PM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

Unless your credit is in really poor shape, financing 35-40k will put a monthly payment in the low 500s.

Talking to a number of other folks I know (none of which drive anything resembling a vette) 500/month for a car seems to be a typical payment.

Unless the rest of your monthly expenses are extremely high, that should be relatively easy to do.

As the now 15-odd year old commercial goes...if I'da had it to do all over again, I'da gotten me that (Harley Davidson)
Old 02-09-2015, 05:12 PM
gregd
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello!

Get the car and finance all you can of it. Cheap money is a good thing and it will never be cheaper. (Well, maybe not - got 0% on my 08 in August '08, 2.49% on this one LOL) Frugality is good, but you need to live life along the way.

Your bigger concern should be how much all the hot nanas gonna cost you when you get the car.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:17 PM
rstrait
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Anything more that basic transportation is a bad move financially. Can you afford it? Absolutely. You're are by no means in the bad move category. If I were in your position when I was 35 and really wanted a Corvette I would have bought it. It's not likely you'll reach retirement age and say to yourself, "I wish I hadn't bought that Corvette."

Quick Reply: Hello, New to Forum, Need Financial Advice