Sponsored by:

ZO6 Rear Vents Installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 04:07 PM
CSEVEN
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 642 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by T/A KID
Just ATTEMPTED to install my Z06 vents and I could not get it released from the below the rear mirror. I attempted to pry something between, but I'm too worried of breaking the plastic. I don't know if mine has some extra adhesive that dripped down on the quarter panel??

Did you just removed the 8 bolts and 12 bolts ONLY or was there any loosening of the rear bumper, etc???
my car no glue on the fender.

Did you push down and pull out all in one motion?
Old 03-01-2015, 05:21 PM
2015VETTE
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any part numbers on the ZO6 scoops?
Old 03-01-2015, 08:08 PM
T/A KID
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 141 Posts

I did....I may not have had enough force??!
I will say in the video his quarter panel moves a lot more than mine does. It feels like something else is holding it?????
Old 03-01-2015, 08:53 PM
DocHolliday
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

I did....I may not have had enough force??!
I will say in the video his quarter panel moves a lot more than mine does. It feels like something else is holding it?????
Maybe be a silly question, but you removed the 7 fender bolts, the 1 bolt in the wheel well, and the 3 bolts around the gas filler pipe? I am about to do this myself and just wanted to see where your difficulty might be to save myself some headache when my vents arrive.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:51 PM
T/A KID
Drifting

Yes...12 on the driver side and 8 in the passenger.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:36 PM
DBR9 KLR
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Just ATTEMPTED to install my Z06 vents and I could not get it released from the below the rear mirror. I attempted to pry something between, but I'm too worried of breaking the plastic. I don't know if mine has some extra adhesive that dripped down on the quarter panel??

Did you just removed the 8 bolts and 12 bolts ONLY or was there any loosening of the rear bumper, etc???
It was a pain in the *** on mine. One side went fast the other had glue. We have a body shop and used plastic shims and air tools to help the process and we still spent some time on it. When we finally got it off the glue that hit the fender was only 2-2.5 inches but it sure gave a fight... ugh glad that was over haha
Old 03-07-2015, 10:46 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,302 Likes on 13,975 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

The new vents look great. Congrats on a functional as well as good appearance mod.
Old 03-08-2015, 02:18 PM
DocHolliday
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DBR9 KLR
It was a pain in the *** on mine. One side went fast the other had glue. We have a body shop and used plastic shims and air tools to help the process and we still spent some time on it. When we finally got it off the glue that hit the fender was only 2-2.5 inches but it sure gave a fight... ugh glad that was over haha
Which side gave you trouble? I did the drivers side with little to no problem, the passenger side is simply not coming loose. It feels as if there is an extra bolt holding it on or something. Any tips?
Old 03-08-2015, 02:45 PM
CSEVEN
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 642 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Which side gave you trouble? I did the drivers side with little to no problem, the passenger side is simply not coming loose. It feels as if there is an extra bolt holding it on or something. Any tips?
Drink a few beers and give it a tug with your hands.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:28 PM
Dangerous Don
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I plan on doing this very soon my only question is; what do they look like and where are these fender spacers located?
Old 03-08-2015, 03:31 PM
DocHolliday
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Ok, I finally got it loose and as described the time but of adhesive (shown below, thin line of black glue) really puts up a fight. It was tricky but in the end I'm glad I did the swap. Thanks for the tips via PM guys. I'll also add the weather stripping on the lower window is really easy to pinch towards the rear if you're not super careful.
Attached Images  
Old 03-08-2015, 03:32 PM
DocHolliday
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Here's another quick pic of the adhesive just to give better context of size.
Attached Images  
Old 03-08-2015, 03:59 PM
Stingray Al
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Anyone have a part number for the Z06 vents???????
Old 03-08-2015, 04:13 PM
T/A KID
Drifting

Doc? Care to share those tips?
Funny thing I tried the passenger side first and it wasn't moving, maybe I'll start in the drivers side first next time
Old 03-08-2015, 05:56 PM
DocHolliday
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by stingray al
anyone have a part number for the z06 vents???????
Old 03-08-2015, 06:05 PM
DocHolliday
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Doc? Care to share those tips?
Funny thing I tried the passenger side first and it wasn't moving, maybe I'll start in the drivers side first next time
I would start with the drivers side, another guy (like me) mentioned his drivers side came loose with no issue. If thats the case for you as well maybe this is just a passenger side issue? Either way, it will give you an idea of how it comes apart.

In any case, start with the couple of beers as suggested earlier... Use plenty of towels to cover any paint, and GENTLY using a few different trim tools get behind the body panel and break the bond free. I can't stress GENTLY enough as these are composite panels and will likely damage easily. I got a trim tool about mid way behind the panel and with the use of some towels as a fulcrum I was able to pop to free. As you can see form my pics, the glue is minimal (or it was on mine) so once you pop it it comes apart pretty easy.

I'll offer these tips as well:

1. Ensure you have a long handle 8MM ratchet wrench. The short ones would be difficult to get to the nuts.

2. Use a rolled up towel to keep the panel pulled back so you can get to the just without holding and pulling back on the panel at the same time. Just makes it easier.

3. Use soapy water or some sort of lubricant on the weather strip below the window when reassembling. Without it, the weather strip WILL pinch towards the back of the window.

Good luck, hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
Rookienot1 (01-08-2018)
Old 05-06-2015, 12:53 AM
Along4theRide
CF Old Timer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16

I'd like to suggest increasing the number of beers required before starting this project. Wow, that was more challenging than I thought.

The window trim is the worst part of the project. After 3 or 4 tries, I used a very thin 6" drywall taping knife along the back of the strip to hold it up/flat and it went right in the first time. Made side two MUCH easier. I was lucky I had no glue leak and the panels popped right out. Took me about 1 hour on the first side, only 35 minutes on side 2.

The following users liked this post:
Rookienot1 (01-08-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To ZO6 Rear Vents Installed

Old 07-19-2015, 03:39 PM
rettop
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think putting a length of cord/rope about .125" dia behind the rubber trim and then slowly pulling the cord away at 90* angle as the fender is presented may make the replacement of the fender somewhat easier. Just a thought. I haven't done it yet but I will when the vents arrive.
Old 01-08-2018, 03:58 PM
Rookienot1
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks for the tips Doc!

Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I would start with the drivers side, another guy (like me) mentioned his drivers side came loose with no issue. If thats the case for you as well maybe this is just a passenger side issue? Either way, it will give you an idea of how it comes apart.

In any case, start with the couple of beers as suggested earlier... Use plenty of towels to cover any paint, and GENTLY using a few different trim tools get behind the body panel and break the bond free. I can't stress GENTLY enough as these are composite panels and will likely damage easily. I got a trim tool about mid way behind the panel and with the use of some towels as a fulcrum I was able to pop to free. As you can see form my pics, the glue is minimal (or it was on mine) so once you pop it it comes apart pretty easy.

I'll offer these tips as well:

1. Ensure you have a long handle 8MM ratchet wrench. The short ones would be difficult to get to the nuts.

2. Use a rolled up towel to keep the panel pulled back so you can get to the just without holding and pulling back on the panel at the same time. Just makes it easier.

3. Use soapy water or some sort of lubricant on the weather strip below the window when reassembling. Without it, the weather strip WILL pinch towards the back of the window.

Good luck, hope this helps.
Doc,
Im going to try to do my 2016 C7 as soon as I can find a warm place to do it! Thanks for the tips! I really like the look and GM says it is a recommended replacement on the Z51! ( Not sure where but I read that someplace - LOL. ... Enough to get me off the hook with the wife anyway!)
These forums are really helpful and I thank you for taking the time to share your tips and results Doc! Ron
Old 01-12-2018, 09:06 PM
ONENATION
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 72 Posts

looks good

Quick Reply: ZO6 Rear Vents Installed