Sponsored by:

Ford highlights the amazing value of the C7

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 12:34 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
I htink it's a hugely smart idea and is a "halo car" - nothing more....lotsa mfrs of products do it.

And the industry thinks a lot of the C7...I hear it all the time within the industry. At a recent Porsche dealer meeting back in sept, the pres of Porsche took time out of his "look at the industry" segment to dwell on the fact that GM now had a "real "player" in the market. The C& sales bar chart he showed for 14 towered over the competition And he also emphasized that if any of the dealer sales guys were blowing off the C7 when a customer came in and mentioned it, he said "DON'T - that's a real stupid move"...
That's very cool to read.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:47 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,291 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I htink it's a hugely smart idea and is a "halo car" - nothing more....lotsa mfrs of products do it.
This. Kudos to Ford for doing this.

Any comparison between the Ford GT and any generation Corvette is completely invalid.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:51 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 500 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Any comparison between the Ford GT and any generation Corvette is completely invalid.
100% agree....I'm surprised so many want to compare them....
Old 03-06-2015, 12:52 PM
bapd77
Safety Car

Received 418 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by thegame
I heard they said 400k and can't help but think without a DOUBT

Aventador > Ford
But that's strictly an opinion. I'd much rather have a Lambo or Ferrari over a Ford, but rumored specs on the GT are certainly in line with what they can do. I'd rather have a Lambo or Ferrari over a Buggati also and the Buggati is significantly more expensive.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:00 PM
ny32182
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 88 Posts

If they make <1000 GT's I predict they retain value FAR better than an Aventator.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:01 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by bapd77
But that's strictly an opinion. I'd much rather have a Lambo or Ferrari over a Ford, but rumored specs on the GT are certainly in line with what they can do. I'd rather have a Lambo or Ferrari over a Buggati also and the Buggati is significantly more expensive.
Sure all car purchases are an opinion. I'm saying if I had 400 large to drop on a car I wouldn't even glance at the GT. That is not cause I am a CHEVY guy or anything stupid like that. I love the new Mustang GT and I loved the Terminators. I like Ford but I would never spend that kind of money on a GT.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:02 PM
OldJedi
Drifting

Received 615 Likes on 336 Posts

And the industry thinks a lot of the C7...I hear it all the time within the industry. At a recent Porsche dealer meeting back in sept, the pres of Porsche took time out of his "look at the industry" segment to dwell on the fact that GM now had a "real "player" in the market. The C& sales bar chart he showed for 14 towered over the competition And he also emphasized that if any of the dealer sales guys were blowing off the C7 when a customer came in and mentioned it, he said "DON'T - that's a real stupid move"...
I wanted a Ford GT when they first came out put the dealers down here were putting $25,000 to $50,000 on top of MSRP. A few of them still show up at local car shows from time to time. The new GT will bring customers into the showroom and even though they know they can't afford $400.000 they might get a Mustang or something else instead. Getting potential buyers into the showroom is half the battle. Every car manufacturer knows of the C7 Vette and what a bang for the buck it is. It is nice to see that Porsche management understands that and tries to get it down to the dealer level. I believe most of us are very happy with our C7 investment but it will be interesting to see how the rumored mid-engined C8 competes with the new Ford GT in both price and performance.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:13 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,291 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by OldJedi
...it will be interesting to see how the rumored mid-engined C8 competes with the new Ford GT in both price and performance.
That assumes GM even makes it. This will be the second mid-engine halo car for Ford (not counting the original GT40) recently and GM has not shown a willingness to go there. A mid-engine Vette has been rumored for decades by different car magazines, including the C8, but GM has not said a word about whether it will actually happen or not.

I too kick myself for not buying a GT as I looked at them and could have afforded one. I have a friend with one and I've driven it, so I can say with absolute certainty that there is no comparison at all between the GT and any generation Vette. None.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:16 PM
Rct851
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ford will sell every single one and I'm willing to bet it will absolutely fly.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:47 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,113 Likes on 6,189 Posts

Originally Posted by quick04Z06
Indeed. Perhaps a version will be a homologation special for a Ford Le Mans entry. This is all good. If you want to play in the big leagues, then, by all means, play in the big leagues.

To Ford's credit, they have always done more and better racing than GM has. GM has never won in the top level at Le Mans, and the GT40 did it several times; GM has never won the World Sports Car title, but Ford/Shelby did it; The Ford Cosworth F1 motor is still one of the winningest engines of all time in F1. Ford has excelled in all levels of motorsport, and they are to be commended for it; also, when Ford gets into a series, they stay with it until they win it. GM needs to learn something about that, as they bailed out of their P1 Le Mans effort with the Cadillac P1 entry before making even a dent in the competition.
Yeah, Chevy really sucks at racing:

2013 Season
Three Championships in NASCAR
For an unprecedented 11th consecutive year, Chevrolet won the NASCAR Sprint Cup Manufacturers’ Championship – for a record 37th time overall. Jimmie Johnson’s ninth-place finish in the season finale at Homestead-Miami Speedway earned him the 2013 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Drivers Championship. It was the sixth time in a record-setting eight-year span that Johnson, the driver of the No. 48 Lowe’s Chevrolet SS fielded by Hendrick Motorsports, claimed the crown and the 29th Drivers’ Championship for Chevrolet. In addition, Austin Dillon secured the Drivers’ Championship in the NASCAR Nationwide Series.
One Championship in IndyCar
After returning to the series in 2012, Chevrolet won the IndyCar Manufacturers Championship for the second year in a row. Chevrolet led the series with 10 victories out of 19 races, including the prestigious Indianapolis 500.
Two Championships in GRAND-AM
For the second consecutive year, Chevrolet secured the GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series Daytona Prototype, or DP, Engine Manufacturers’ Championship. Drivers Max Angelelli and Jordan Taylor shared the Drivers’ Championship.
Three Championships in World Challenge
Competing with the Camaro, Chevrolet secured the GTS Manufacturers’ Championship in World Challenge racing. Lawson Aschenbach won the GTS Drivers’ Championship, while Blackdog Racing secured the GTS Team Championship.
Five Championships in ALMS
In the American Le Mans Series, Chevrolet claimed its 10th Manufacturers’ Championship, while Antonio Garcia and Jan Magnussen secured the Drivers’ Championship. Chevrolet also clinched the ALMS GT Team championship for Corvette Racing – its 10th in the ALMS and most in the series’ history. Chevrolet won the ALMS’ Green Challenge GT Championship, which goes to the manufacturer that records the fastest races while being the most efficient in petroleum use and emissions. The No. 3 Chevrolet Corvette C6.R won the Michelin Green X Challenge – an award that goes to the leading GT and prototype teams using the same criteria.

2014 Season
NASCAR
Chevy had one-two finish in the season Driver championship.
And to cap that off, Chevrolet also won its 12th straight manufacturers’ Championship, and our 38th overall championship since our first in 1958.
But we didn’t stop with the Sprint Cup championship at NASCAR. Rookie driver Chase Elliott, son of NASCAR legend Bill Elliott, won the NASCAR Nationwide Series title for Dale Earnhardt Jr.’s JR Motorsports team, driving a Chevrolet Camaro. And Chevrolet also won the manufacturers’ championship in the Nationwide Series.
NHRA
On the same weekend Harvick and Elliott were wrapping up the top two NASCAR titles on the East Coast, another championship battle was underway in California, where National Hot Rod Association drag racer Erica Enders-Stevens was locked in a tight points battle for the Pro Stock title with three-time champ Jason Line, both Chevrolet Camaro drivers.
At the last race of the season at Pomona, the final round came down to a race between the two title contenders, with Enders-Stevens getting her sixth season win and the first-ever Pro Stock championship for a female driver.
“Congratulations to Erica Enders-Stevens on capturing her first NHRA Pro Stock championship and becoming the first woman in the sport to claim the Pro Stock crown,” said Roger Allen, Chevrolet Racing NHRA Program Manager. “It was a hard-fought battle for her and the Elite Motorsports Camaro team that came right down to the final round of the season finale. This is an amazing accomplishment, making Erica only the third female driver to win an NHRA national title.”
IndyCar
Earlier this fall and not far from Pomona, Auto Club Speedway was the site for another season-ending battle, this time for the Verizon IndyCar® Series. Chevrolet had already clinched its third straight IndyCar Manufacturers’ Championship with two races left in the series’ season, but the driver’s title came down to the final race in Fontana, California. There, Team Penske Chevrolet driver Will Power took his first series title, while another Chevy driver, 2013 Indianapolis 500® winner Tony Kanaan, won the race. To see Team Chevy drivers capture the top four positions in the final standings reflects the durability, reliability, power and excellent fuel economy of the Chevrolet IndyCar V6 engine.” Power narrowly beat out Team Penske teammate Helio Castroneves, also racing with Chevrolet power, for the championship.
GrandAM
But while any manufacturer would consider any year where you win NASCAR, NHRA and IndyCar titles a stunningly successful one, Chevrolet wasn’t through.
At the Rolex 24 Hours At Daytona on January 25, a new era began in sports car racing: The GRAND-AM series merged with the American Le Mans Series to form the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship.
And for Chevrolet, it meant that the two sports cars we race – the ALMS GT class Chevrolet Corvette C7.R, now based on the Corvette Z06, and the GRAND-AM Corvette Daytona Prototype, which is built from the ground up to be an exotic, track-only model – would, for the first time, be racing together on the same track.
They would not race against each other, though – the Corvette Daytona Prototype is a pure racing machine competing against other prototype models, while the GT Le Mans car that Corvette Racing fields competes against other models based on different manufacturers’ sports cars, ranging from the Ferrari 458 to the Porsche 911.
At the end of the long season, Chevrolet had plenty of wins to show for it: Seven for the Corvette Daytona Prototype – including the 24 Hours At Daytona, where we swept the top four spots, and at the season-ending, 10-hour Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta – and four wins for the GT Le Mans Corvette C7.R.

The TUDOR Championship “is a showcase that highlights reliability, power, handling, toughness and engineering innovation,” said Jim Campbell. “All qualities our customers value in the Chevrolets we sell.”
Old 03-06-2015, 01:59 PM
LS6GXP
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

400k and only 6 cylinders

Is there any other 400k cars out there with only 6 pots? oh maybe the jag from years ago . How did that work out

Pricing is high by at least 100k
Old 03-06-2015, 02:05 PM
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

The GT will not cost $400k and there will be no mid engine Corvette. That's my prediction.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:17 PM
Entaille
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

honestly, I could give two ***** less about cars that aren't being built to be driven and enjoyed. this thing is a designed/forced collectors vehicle, much like the previous GT. I really appreciate them as a car but not when I know they'll just be locked up and never seen out on the roads.

performance per dollar, the vette is definitely a bargain.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:21 PM
Rct851
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Entaille
honestly, I could give two ***** less about cars that aren't being built to be driven and enjoyed. this thing is a designed/forced collectors vehicle, much like the previous GT. I really appreciate them as a car but not when I know they'll just be locked up and never seen out on the roads.

performance per dollar, the vette is definitely a bargain.
Id argue the fgt's intended purpose is to absolutely be driven. They have stated over and over its was built for functionality. It's not a Starbucks fetcher it's a track weapon.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:22 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mdm23
The GT will not cost $400k and there will be no mid engine Corvette. That's my prediction.
You seem to be 0-1

http://www.freep.com/story/money/car...rice/24441189/
Old 03-06-2015, 02:49 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 500 Posts
Tech Contributor

lotsa good companies in the consumer field have a halo product - apples $10,000 watch being announced monday....Yeah I know, you hate apple....LOL
Old 03-06-2015, 03:01 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

lotsa good companies in the consumer field have a halo product - apples $10,000 watch being announced monday....Yeah I know, you hate apple....LOL
lmaooooooooo WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!

Get notified of new replies

To Ford highlights the amazing value of the C7

Old 03-06-2015, 06:20 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 926 Likes on 615 Posts

I think $400k is a conservative number.

Based on the Le Mans rules (which are online) a manufacturer who intends to race at Le Mans must build 100 cars (for homologation) to qualify (a small manufacturer can build 50). However to use a Carbon Fiber Monocoque you must build 300 cars for to homologate. Since we all know that this cars purpose is to race, I gather Ford will produce 300-500 cars. At that volume I can foresee the car costing 600k, or even as much as 1 million.

Also just so you know how secret this program was, when it was announced those of us who work there were SHOCKED.

Originally Posted by thegame
He will be 0-2 as the CREV program exists and from what I understand is ISN'T the C8 (rather it is just a mid-engine C7 ZR1). The Stingray (or base) and Z06 will continue as front engine cars into the future on C8 (and of course the ZR1 will stay mid-engine)
Old 03-06-2015, 07:04 PM
Entaille
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Rct851
Id argue the fgt's intended purpose is to absolutely be driven. They have stated over and over its was built for functionality. It's not a Starbucks fetcher it's a track weapon.
no matter how good of a driver's car it ends up being, it won't be used as such.

.. maybe down the line, in very limited and minimalist ways. how often do you see last gen ford gt's out? I only ever hear of a few, out at like texas mile like events. the rest are all locked up in collections and protected as investments. I hate seeing that happen to awesome cars.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:11 PM
vettman96
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

The last Ford GT is the only vehicle I am aware of that never had a depreciation curve. It has been appreciating in value from day one.

That said, someone at Ford is thinking the same will occur with the new version, rightly or not.

Even if I could afford a 6x price above a C 7 I would not make that investment. Seems like greed is the order of the day.

Quick Reply: Ford highlights the amazing value of the C7