Need Seat For My Grandson

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 01:48 PM
B-STOCK
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15, '17, '19

Default Need Seat For My Grandson

My grandson is 4 1/2 years old and weighs enough to qualify using a booster seat. He has wanted to ride in my Vette's and now is the time. Are there any booster seats that are made for or fit well in a C5 & C7 Corvette? If no booster seats are available is there a preferred regular car seat. Thanks, Gramps
Old 03-29-2015, 02:03 PM
js1977
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I use the Graco Backless TurboBooster for my 6yr old. My 2yr old still has to ride In a car seat so I haven't even tried putting one of those in, but I'm sure it can be done.

When my 6yr old was younger and required a child seat I was able to put one in my 77 Trans Am, so I'm pretty sure you can find one that will work with the Vette. The key is to look at the measurements when purchasing one. Measure your seat in your Vette from the width of the seat, the seat bottom to the roof panel and then do the same on the child seat. I wouldn't purchase any that have reviews of being kind of wide. If the reviews say they work great in a small car or small suv then I'm sure it will work for your Vette.

A key thing to purchase as well would be a car seat pad protector, keeps your seat from getting messed up from the plastic on the child seat.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:07 PM
jkirsc1
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 17 Posts

When my son was big enough for a backless booster I picked up two things that worked well in my C7: a Cosco Top Side Booster and a Prince Lionheart Compact Seatsaver. Picked them up on Amazon for less than $35 combined. The combination worked well for him, fit between the bolsters, and did not damage the seat.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:44 PM
EcoBrick Bob
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

What would happen if the air bag deployed?
Old 03-29-2015, 06:10 PM
jkirsc1
Advanced

As far as the air bag going off. It's weight sensor related. As in, if the weight in the passenger seat isn't more than 60lbs the air bag will not deploy.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:28 PM
11B250
Melting Slicks

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jkirsc1
As far as the air bag going off. It's weight sensor related. As in, if the weight in the passenger seat isn't more than 60lbs the air bag will not deploy.
Are you sure about this number? I'll have my seatbelt warning go off if I put something that weighs like 5-15 lbs on there
Old 03-29-2015, 08:14 PM
jkirsc1
Advanced

No, 60lbs isn't a definitive number. According to the owners manual and NHTSA, the airbag sensors are seating specific. From what I'm reading it will activate an airbag dependent upon whether or not the sensors in the seat are "activated". For my particular case, when my son hit 60lbs the airbag off light stop coming on. Before that weight he was too little to activate the airbag system. Not sure how some 5-15lb weights can feasibly activate all the sensors in your seat as required to activate the airbag system. I'd get that checked out if it were my car.

Get notified of new replies

To Need Seat For My Grandson

Quick Reply: Need Seat For My Grandson