Sponsored by:

Maybe another convert to C7

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 11:16 AM
Jimbob26
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Maybe another convert to C7

I've owned my C7 for 1 1/2 years now and anyone who knows me knows I love it. This past weekend a good friend who's in the market for a new sports car (he currently drives a Boxster) took my C7 out for a spin. He had never driven a Corvette much less a C7 in his life.

We had the top off, in Sport mode, and as he rowed through the gears was yelling "I LOVE THIS CAR!" He also could not believe the power, handling and overall refinement.

I think he'll have one in his garage fairly soon.
Old 04-06-2015, 02:28 PM
TennisFreak
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 52 Posts

I understand.

I was dead set on getting a brand new Cayman S as I had nearly bought a used one a few years ago and regretted not doing so.

Then right before I ordered I had a friend who purchased a C7 tell me about them (and the supplier discount code they could give me).

After looking at the C7 IMO it was a no brainer.

The C7 had improved immensely over a C6 (interior in particular is what I could not stand).
It had more power, was better equipped, and was going to be close to $20k cheaper.

Bye bye Cayman S, hello C7!!!!!!!!!

Cant wait to get my order in.
Friend finally broke their C7 in and took me out Friday in it. He showed me the full glory of all 460HP. It was amazing
Old 04-06-2015, 03:09 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Best deal on 4 wheels. I LOVE mine!
Old 04-06-2015, 04:59 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

I have 2 nephews visiting, very nice kids in the navy. I took them each for a ride then let them each have a chance to drive out in to boonies to have some fun (me in the passenger seat, I'm not that trusting). I figured if they risk their lives defending our country the least I can do is let them experience driving a Corvette. Needless to say they are in love however I'd doubt a C7 is in there future on a navy salary, they may be saving for a C9 or C10 though. It was really fun seeing then just freaking out that I'd let them drive and really feel the car.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:10 PM
2006m5
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by cheapthrills
I have 2 nephews visiting, very nice kids in the navy. I took them each for a ride then let them each have a chance to drive out in to boonies to have some fun (me in the passenger seat, I'm not that trusting). I figured if they risk their lives defending our country the least I can do is let them experience driving a Corvette. Needless to say they are in love however I'd doubt a C7 is in there future on a navy salary, they may be saving for a C9 or C10 though. It was really fun seeing then just freaking out that I'd let them drive and really feel the car.
U are a good uncle .
Deed well done.
It's only a car.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:13 PM
Shades
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TennisFreak
I understand.

I was dead set on getting a brand new Cayman S as I had nearly bought a used one a few years ago and regretted not doing so.

Then right before I ordered I had a friend who purchased a C7 tell me about them (and the supplier discount code they could give me).

After looking at the C7 IMO it was a no brainer.
I am in the same boat. I have a BMW M3 and had been planning to pick up a 2016 Boxster or Cayman. I never really considered a Corvette before since they had a reputation for being fast but having inferior handling, build quality, and interior... at least in the circles of people I know.

I happened to see the recent Top Gear episode that showcased the C7 Z51 against the Cayman GTS and showed it not only holding its own on the handling, but with a much improved interior. You cannot always believe what you see on TG but that got me intrigued, so I started doing research and found that for the same money as a moderately optioned Cayman S one could get a fully loaded C7/Z51 that would look great, handle just as well, and offer a ton more HP.

At this point I'm holding out to see what the 2016 model year brings for both vehicles, but I'm 90% sure I'll be going with the Corvette instead of the Porsche.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:20 PM
whl3
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Do your friends a favor and let them know about allocations, constraints and consensus. As a first time C7 buyer myself, I wanted to buy local and paid dearly for it in both $$$ and time! There are numerous reasons to buy local, but if you do, you need to understand how the GM Corvette system works. Buyer beware! If you buy local you need to know what questions to ask the dealer and just not take his word for it. You need to know how many orders precede yours and how that might affect your order with current and anticipated constraints and the dealer's anticipated weekly allocation. The dealer should be forthright and be willing to show the new customer his weekly consensus and how his order plays into it. A new customer also needs to know all of the different status number codes associated with a Corvette order. Obviously most all of that information is available on this forum, as well as, others. Currently there are hundreds if not thousands sitting at 1100 and have no clue as to how long they may wait for delivery!
Old 04-06-2015, 06:21 PM
Shades
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whl3
Do your friends a favor and let them know about allocations, constraints and consensus. As a first time C7 buyer myself, I wanted to buy local and paid dearly for it in both $$$ and time! There are numerous reasons to buy local, but if you do, you need to understand how the GM Corvette system works. Buyer beware! If you buy local you need to know what questions to ask the dealer and just not take his word for it. You need to know how many orders precede yours and how that might affect your order with current and anticipated constraints and the dealer's anticipated weekly allocation. The dealer should be forthright and be willing to show the new customer his weekly consensus and how his order plays into it. A new customer also needs to know all of the different status number codes associated with a Corvette order. Obviously most all of that information is available on this forum, as well as, others. Currently there are hundreds if not thousands sitting at 1100 and have no clue as to how long they may wait for delivery!
Buying locally may also mean you cannot use GM Supplier pricing, since I've heard that it isn't required and many of the smaller places in particular do not. In addition to having lower allocations, etc.

At this point I'm thinking that when the time comes, I may end up ordering from one of the big 3 forum dealers and having the car shipped. I just need to make sure that they can order using the CA emissions code to avoid having to delay registration due to emissions testing once it arrives.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:37 PM
mracer14
Drifting

Received 249 Likes on 104 Posts

Default Corvette

Good to see people choosing to support American manufactures and the American economy. Thank you!!

Get notified of new replies

To Maybe another convert to C7

Quick Reply: Maybe another convert to C7