C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else develop a front end vibration while braking?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 03:34 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Default Anyone else develop a front end vibration while braking?

Happened suddenly, not a gradual condition. Happens only while braking. I had the tires checked for balance and also reversed them side to side...didn't help....clearly a braking issue now. Calipers are firmly mounted...no missing bolts... feels like a warped rotor, but that can't be the problem because the shuddering just showed up...worse at stops from high speed, not so noticeable from low speed. Dealer appointment set for next week, but thought I should check the forum first. 2014 Z51 manual....3000 miles. Only thing I can think of is I washed the car, giving the wheel area a good spray down to get rid of any residual salt, but still, the system should not be affected by that....
Old 04-16-2015, 04:09 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When the brake pads get hot (due to high speed stops, the brake pads can transfer material (resin) to the rotors which can cause the pulsation. Some rotors can distort when hot, but return to normal when they cool down.

Rotors do not warp, but rather the rotor surfaces can become out of parallel.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:18 PM
jrainlay
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree it sounds like rotor warp, which can occur rather suddenly following a sudden stop from relatively high speed, where the pads and rotors are really heated up. I've found that placing the car in neutral and taking your foot off the brake immediately following such sudden stops can help prevent rotor warp because it allows for more even cooing of the rotor. Let us know what the dealer says.
The following users liked this post:
nytrorcr (04-12-2017)
Old 04-16-2015, 06:15 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I had a similar problem on my C6 Z51 equipped car. Pads left a deposit on the rotors, took off the wheels, cleaned the rotors and replaced the pads...on the C5's I had it would have been the rotors.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:18 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by rcooper
I had a similar problem on my C6 Z51 equipped car. Pads left a deposit on the rotors, took off the wheels, cleaned the rotors and replaced the pads...on the C5's I had it would have been the rotors.
Or he could try the ol' 60 MPH and stomp on the brakes a few times to try to clean the deposits off trick
Old 04-16-2015, 07:24 PM
Vegas1500
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 256 Likes on 168 Posts

I would bet rotor warp....OP let us know what they find..
Old 04-16-2015, 08:41 PM
*C7*
Melting Slicks

Received 388 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor 05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Default to the OP

Read this link and you will understand your condition.

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths
The following users liked this post:
jimmyb (04-08-2016)
Old 04-16-2015, 10:35 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----

thanks guys...I am betting on pad material/resin transfer to the fire path....reason, whenever I wash the car, and immediately park it in the garage, the pads 'stick' to the rotors because the water was not burned off; leads to rusting. I get a 'clunk' the next day from breaking loose the pads when first backing out. I really soaked everything during that last car wash, then pulled into the garage. From now on I have to remember to take a drive after car washing. Now, the question is what will transpire at the dealer?
Old 04-16-2015, 10:44 PM
PGSJOE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When this happened on my car I removed the wheels(front) and noticed the cooling sipes on the rotors were "full of material". I clened them all out with a small pointed tool and scotchbrited the surface with brake cleaner and it corrected the pulsation. It had not collected more material by the time installed Carbotech pads about 4 months later.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:18 AM
rogergcam
Pro

Received 163 Likes on 89 Posts
Default GM replace all rotors....

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
Happened suddenly, not a gradual condition. Happens only while braking. I had the tires checked for balance and also reversed them side to side...didn't help....clearly a braking issue now. Calipers are firmly mounted...no missing bolts... feels like a warped rotor, but that can't be the problem because the shuddering just showed up...worse at stops from high speed, not so noticeable from low speed. Dealer appointment set for next week, but thought I should check the forum first. 2014 Z51 manual....3000 miles. Only thing I can think of is I washed the car, giving the wheel area a good spray down to get rid of any residual salt, but still, the system should not be affected by that....
I had the same problem on my '15 Z51. It started at about 5000 miles. First a little vibration when braking-could hardly feel it...then it grew until the whole car shook! It seemed to be worse when you were going through the 40 MPH range. It was most apparent when braking from highway speeds.

Took it back to Chevy here in Gainesville Fl., and they confirmed that the rotors were out of spec! How much so I didn't ask. They determined this with a dial indicator. They replaced all the rotors, and no problems since then!

GOOD LUCK-Keep us posted!

Old 04-18-2015, 02:53 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by rogergcam
I had the same problem on my '15 Z51. It started at about 5000 miles. First a little vibration when braking-could hardly feel it...then it grew until the whole car shook! It seemed to be worse when you were going through the 40 MPH range. It was most apparent when braking from highway speeds.

Took it back to Chevy here in Gainesville Fl., and they confirmed that the rotors were out of spec! How much so I didn't ask. They determined this with a dial indicator. They replaced all the rotors, and no problems since then!

GOOD LUCK-Keep us posted!

thanks man, that is good to hear...I mean about the rotor replacement. will keep you guys informed when I learn more....this may not be an uncommon problem...who knows?
Old 04-05-2016, 03:19 PM
Eddie Diaz
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Me too! 2014 z51 23k miles.

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
It also happened to me with my 2014 z51 at 23,000 miles, the front rotors were worn unevenly, since the rotors were out of parallel (Long term for warped) I had to replace the rotors and break pads, the high speed breaking vibration went away.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:06 PM
emsguy
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

I had that problem as well. 2014 Z51 M7. Dealer cut rotors twice. Switched to Carbotech pads. No help. And the Carbotech pads lost almost braking power in the wet for the first or second brake application. Anyone else have this issue?

Switched to DBA rotors and EBC redstuff pads. Only about 100 miles on new setup. Still have another 100 miles of bedding in before I can really brake hard. But so far, this combination feels like a monumental improvement on stock rotors and stock pads or stock rotors and Carbotech pads.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:48 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by *C7*
Read this link and you will understand your condition.

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths
Thanks for posting this. It is sad that people don't understand the braking system requirements on a Z51 (or Z06). If I bought a Z51/Z06 and had no intention of tracking it, I would immediately replace the pads with something more street appropriate.

I hope everyone that is chiming in with "rotor warp" will read the Stoptech link, pad material accumulation (from not properly bedding in the pads) and/or improper wheel mounting/torqueing is what causes these issues.

Jimmy

Last edited by jimmyb; 04-08-2016 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:47 AM
jchantry
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Started to get increasing vibration when braking. 5500 miles on a 2016 Z51. I did bed in the brakes per owners manual when I bought it. Checked torque on lug nuts several times over the last year. Tried several hard stops to clean rotors - no help.
Took to the dealer who said all 4 rotors have have excessive lateral runout. 4 new rotors are on order. Technician seems to think the rotors are made too thin.
Seems there are a lot of C7 brake rotor problems discussed on the forum. I think GM needs to look in to this!
Old 04-12-2017, 08:41 AM
LoganExplosion
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 112 Posts

Yes. People with warped rotors
Old 04-12-2017, 09:10 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Before you do anything, take the car out and do some repeated (6) hard stops (no ABS engagement) from 60 mph to around 10 mph to clean off the rotors. That may be all that's necessary.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:50 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

JACHANTRY,

This is a very old thread, and a TSB has been out on this for quite some time. It has happened to quite a few people. The 14 MY Z51 has 2-piece rotors, and at some point the design was changed to 1-piece.

See the link below, print it, and take it to your dealer.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...html#d2342e156

Last edited by Foosh; 04-12-2017 at 09:59 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone else develop a front end vibration while braking?

Quick Reply: Anyone else develop a front end vibration while braking?