Sponsored by:

3LT Dashboard Leather Defect?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 12:02 PM
jrainlay
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 3LT Dashboard Leather Defect?

We recently took delivery on our 2015 Shark Gray Z51 Stingray with Kalahari 3LT interior. In general, we're delighted with the car. The paint quality is good, the performance is great and we love the upgraded interior, including our competition seats. However, there's ONE issue with the car that continues aggravates me: The large leather trim panel on the dash in front of the passenger seat (airbag underneath) has some visible flaws. Specifically, there's a very slight depression in the middle of the panel and there are some raised areas along the edge of the panel (where it butts up against another leather trim piece) that almost look like the leather has delaminated and been pushed up as a result of being forced into place during the installation process (see photo below). This defect was there when the car was first delivered to the dealer and before we took possession and I have photos to prove it.

Up until now, I haven't made a big issue of these defects because, most of the time, in bright sunlight, they're not very visible. But in the early morning or late afternoon, when the sunlight light is coming through the windshield at a lower angle, the depression and raised areas cast shadows that really highlight the problems. As a result, this panel continues to bother me!

Yesterday, I took the car in for it's first oil change and discussed this issue with my sales rep, the service technician and the service advisor. Everyone agrees that I'm not crazy and the problems are there, but there's still some question as to whether we can or should try to do anything about them.

The cause of the uncertainty is two-fold: First, when we looked at some other brand new Vettes sitting on the dealer's lot, we found the exact same defects: a slight depression in the middle of the passenger airbag panel and raised areas along the edge. And second, if this problem is more or less universal, then there's a strong likelihood that changing the panel out won't fix the problem or, worse yet, could even make it worse. The service technician said if it was his car, he would leave the panel alone and just drive and enjoy the car.

But, as I said, that danged panel still bugs me! We paid a lot for the 3LT option -- in part to have that Kalahari leather on the dash -- and it just doesn't seem right that the driver and passenger have to look at these defects.

So, here are my questions for the forum:

1) Has anyone else had this problem in their car?

2) If so, have you tried to have it corrected and, if you did, were you successful?

3) All things considered, if this was your car, would you leave it alone or insist that the panel be replaced under warranty?

Thanks in advance for your replies...
Attached Images   
The following users liked this post:
walker3 (01-01-2018)
Old 04-17-2015, 12:23 PM
vettnutt
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Definitely replace it.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:32 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by vettnutt
Definitely replace it.

I definitely would replace it.

If it's a widespread problem, GM needs to know about it and fix it. JMO.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:33 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

If it was mine I would live with the imperfection, simply because the dash board is installed as a whole unit, taking it apart inside the car can be done but putting everything back perfectly may not work out the way you want it.

I would point it out to the dealer, make sure you have it in writing, if it gets worse they will replace the whole panel under warranty at anytime.

I say in writing because they have short memories of what they will do for warranty.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:49 PM
Duck Hunter
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

I have a 3LT interior in Brownstone on my 2015, and I just checked mine. It has a very slight imperfection in that area of the dash (maybe a half inch long) where the seam appears to be a little raised. I hadn't even noticed it before, probably because of the darker color of Brownstone.

I went through this issue on the black vinyl dash of my 2008 C6. It came with a large dimple (sort of where yours is), that looked worse after it warmed up in the sun. They gave me the same advice at my dealership, saying taking the whole dash apart was a big job, and it might not look any better when it was replaced, and it could give you a whole new problem of creaks and rattles when it was re-assembled. I wasn't gong to be happy looking at that dimple every time I sat in the car, so I had them order a new dash. Sure enough, we had to order three new dashes to get one that looked good (all on GMs dime of course), and although no new creaks or rattles were caused by replacing the dash, it was a long and involved, frustrating process.

I definitely wont bother to try to replace the dash on my C7, as the imperfection is much smaller than yours and not very noticeable. But yours looks much worse, especially with the lighter Kalahari color. If I were you, I would probably have it replaced.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:09 PM
beachcomber
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

That's a tough one....it would drive me crazy, but the R&R process could bring more issues. I agree with Bob, talk to the dealer, get it documented and live with it. If it becomes worse, then I'd go through the R&R trouble.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:37 PM
C2367
Drifting

Received 309 Likes on 134 Posts

Mine has a very small wrinkle over the gauge area but no big deal to me.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:42 PM
Calif Vetteman
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by beachcomber
That's a tough one....it would drive me crazy, but the R&R process could bring more issues. I agree with Bob, talk to the dealer, get it documented and live with it. If it becomes worse, then I'd go through the R&R trouble.
There is also a dent in the leather over the vent by the door. That would drive me nuts. Try to get them to fix it.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:47 PM
Joy c7
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 238 Posts

Boy thats a hard call , I would be afraid of the dealer screwing things up.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:57 PM
Joy c7
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 238 Posts

The indention is were the airbag comes out they are all like that.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:14 PM
jrainlay
Racer

Originally Posted by Joy c7
The indention is were the airbag comes out they are all like that.
I think you're right about the indentation and the fact that they're all like this. It's really the irregularity in the edge of the leather trim that bothers me most.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:17 PM
jrainlay
Racer

Originally Posted by Calif Vetteman
There is also a dent in the leather over the vent by the door. That would drive me nuts. Try to get them to fix it.
I think the dent you're referring to is actually where the word "airbag" is stamped into the leather.

Last edited by jrainlay; 04-17-2015 at 06:04 PM.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:48 PM
Keith N
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's not acceptable and it would bother me. You paid for the leather covered dash and it shouldn't have those defects. GM should change out the parts under warranty.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:59 PM
GeoV55
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I have 3LT but in red and that area is black and I check my dash it is as smooth as a babies behind. I think that would bother me to no end.
Old 04-17-2015, 03:26 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

I have a 3lt Kalahari and, no the problem is not universal. Mine is smooth as glass over the entire dash. Wrinkles like you have would drive me crazy... Get it fixed because you will never not look at it every time you drive the car.
Old 04-17-2015, 05:45 PM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,122 Likes on 757 Posts

Definitely replace it.
Don't let the dealer and his crew scare you, this is not a common problem and have it replaced.

Last edited by Red C8 of Jax; 04-17-2015 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:31 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

Definitely replace it.
It doesn't appear to have been installed properly.

Get notified of new replies

To 3LT Dashboard Leather Defect?

Old 04-17-2015, 07:07 PM
Cobraboy
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I checked mine today and it has it to a very small degree. I would conclude that it is not really a defect, but just the way it goes when covered. For those that say they don't have it at all, I'd like to see a picture of your 3LT dash in that area.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:15 PM
GeoV55
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobraboy
I checked mine today and it has it to a very small degree. I would conclude that it is not really a defect, but just the way it goes when covered. For those that say they don't have it at all, I'd like to see a picture of your 3LT dash in that area.
Here is my dash. As I said it is perfectly smooth.
Attached Images  
Old 04-17-2015, 09:49 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,428 Likes on 14,044 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

It would definitely bother me - I think I would want them to replace it.

Quick Reply: 3LT Dashboard Leather Defect?