Old 04-19-2015, 11:25 AM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Default Your credit card!

I made a purchase from one of the vendors that has a backlog. I was expecting delivery in June which was fine by me, I am not in a hurry.

Got an email the other day which had pulled up and confirmed my delivery to be end of the month, April. So I sent an email asking why it had pulled up as much as it did.

I was told "40% of the credit card we are given will not let the purchase go through when we apply the balance against it"......we are talking about something that will charge another $1000 to their card.

You have a $100,000 car and your credit card can't take a charge of $1,000? I hate to tell you this, but you have no business owning this car. Since no one else will tell you, I will.

YOU CANT AFFORD THIS CAR!
Old 04-19-2015, 11:37 AM
sjohnson2615
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

That does not surprise me. I spoke with a Chevrolet dealer friend of mine and he said most Corvettes are financed. He said if they could not break it down to a little each month the majority of owners could not afford the car.
He sees the credit application and thinks there is no way the folks should be buying this car. He sells it to them anyway.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:46 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by sjohnson2615
He sees the credit application and thinks there is no way the folks should be buying this car. He sells it to them anyway.
yup.....he isnt their keeper. People need to stand up and take responsibility. Way too many people will default and then blame everyone else that they shouldnt have gotten the credit blah blah.....no one forced them to sign that paper.....
Old 04-19-2015, 05:47 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15

almost 200 views and only one comment.....maybe this comment hits home with way too many? Lets see if that gets it shook up on the site.....
Old 04-19-2015, 06:02 PM
cars
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

most of them have issues probably are not the one buying new z06 but used corvettes.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:10 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

The major credit card issuers all use algorithms to identify potential fraudulent charges so a large percentage of those not-accepted charges by an accessory supplier are likely from this process. Many of the algorithms will identify a fairly large charge from a smaller merchant where the card isn't physically present and with which you don't have a purchase history as being potentially fraudulent and the charge will be refused. I have had this happen a few times with random purchases and I have a high limit card and never carry a balance. In each case I was immediately notified by my card issuer and was able to have the block overridden. Although it is a bit of an inconvenience I appreciate the anti-fraud protection.

My strangest incident occurred a couple of years after the Oklahoma City bombing. It was about this time of year and I had stopped at a local farm store and purchased 2,000 pounds of fertilizer to do the lawn (several acres) and then stopped at a Marathon station to fill up my diesel truck and buy 40 gallons of diesel for my utility tractor. Both purchases were on my Mastercard and as the truck was filling the clerk came out with a phone and said my credit card company needed to speak with me. Their concern was my last charge prior to these was an expensive purchase of electronic tubes from an Eastern European firm via the internet and they wanted to make sure that I still had my card and these new purchases were legitimate. My concern was these back to back purchases of fertilizer and diesel fuel made me look like a home grown terrorist.

I now pay cash for my large fertilizer and diesel purchases just in case
Old 04-19-2015, 06:17 PM
Dr Chill
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by firstgear
almost 200 views and only one comment.....maybe this comment hits home with way too many? Lets see if that gets it shook up on the site.....

Maybe it's because many others like myself have no idea what you are actually saying in your first post. Did you buy a car with a credit card deposit, or did you buy some sort of part from a vendor? Whose credit card are you referring to? The title of this thread is ambiguous.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:22 PM
harlold
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I am doubtful anyone that can't get more than $1000 line of credit has the credit rating to get a $100k auto loan.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:25 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Dr Chill
Maybe it's because many others like myself have no idea what you are actually saying in your first post. Did you buy a car with a credit card deposit, or did you buy some sort of part from a vendor? Whose credit card are you referring to? The title of this thread is ambiguous.

I read it twice and gave up.
S.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:26 PM
Foxer55
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Old 04-19-2015, 06:29 PM
soulsea
Alcoholics Unanimous
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,642 Likes on 413 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

I made a purchase from one of the vendors that has a backlog. I was expecting delivery in June which was fine by me, I am not in a hurry.

Got an email the other day which had pulled up and confirmed my delivery to be end of the month, April. So I sent an email asking why it had pulled up as much as it did.

I was told "40% of the credit card we are given will not let the purchase go through when we apply the balance against it"......we are talking about something that will charge another $1000 to their card.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:36 PM
JShort
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

I thought I was the only one that couldn't decipher what he was saying until I read this I gave up after reading it twice.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:50 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15

hmmm.....I probably didn't buy a car with a credit card or even a deposit and had a balance of $1000.

This was from one of the vendors on the site, not a car dealer but from one that sells aftermarket items.

If you don't carry a balance on your credit card and can purchase something without the card being declined then this thread isn't about you....

It is about those that cant take a $1000 charge because the credit car is close to being maxed out.....

I have a friend that spends every penny he gets and usually is working on the next scheme of purchase even though he doesn't have the money.....those people are on this site.....

I just felt his comment that 40% of the people buying items from him have their credit card rejected. Now the credit card was good for the $135 deposit, but wasn't good enough for the balance of $1000....that only can say one thing to me....they shouldn't have bought the car, they cant afford it!
Old 04-19-2015, 06:55 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by harlold
I am doubtful anyone that can't get more than $1000 line of credit has the credit rating to get a $100k auto loan.
it isnt a matter of getting a credit line, it is more the issue that they carry too big a balance to accept the charge...that is my fear. People over spending beyond their means.

I know...been there....at one time in my life, I had more than $50k worth of credit card balance. House payment and car payment....we were going under.

I was fortunate. I got on a project at work that I was asked to lead, $30M program to put in a new enterprise system across the company. It was a 1 year project with 50% of the bonus at the 6 month mark and the balance at completion. I paid my bills in full and got out of debt. But it would have been extremely difficult without those big paydays.

Now, I pay off all debt every month, no matter the balance. The one thing I keep is a mortgage I took out for an addition to the house and a new garage (24X42) out behind the house.

Carrying that much debt was very scary......never again and I hope that other on here think twice about the debt load they carry......
Old 04-19-2015, 07:31 PM
SharkGrayStingray
Drifting

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

ummm, yeah, WTF is he saying????????????
Old 04-19-2015, 07:31 PM
ratman6161
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by sjohnson2615
That does not surprise me. I spoke with a Chevrolet dealer friend of mine and he said most Corvettes are financed. He said if they could not break it down to a little each month the majority of owners could not afford the car.
Most financed? Why should that surprise you? Even though I could have paid cash it would have been extremely foolish to do so. Why?

Because I have several nice safe investments whereI can make 5% to 7%. Financing the car was at less than 2%. I come out ahead by financing the car and keeping my cash.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:04 PM
sabbie43
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

it isnt a matter of getting a credit line, it is more the issue that they carry too big a balance to accept the charge...that is my fear. People over spending beyond their means.

I know...been there....at one time in my life, I had more than $50k worth of credit card balance. House payment and car payment....we were going under.

I was fortunate. I got on a project at work that I was asked to lead, $30M program to put in a new enterprise system across the company. It was a 1 year project with 50% of the bonus at the 6 month mark and the balance at completion. I paid my bills in full and got out of debt. But it would have been extremely difficult without those big paydays.

Now, I pay off all debt every month, no matter the balance. The one thing I keep is a mortgage I took out for an addition to the house and a new garage (24X42) out behind the house.

Carrying that much debt was very scary......never again and I hope that other on here think twice about the debt load they carry......
so you were one of the people you were bashing? Now that you were fortunate to change your credit around you feel it's ok to preach and tell people they shouldn't buy the car? Makes no sense to me Seems kinda funny actually.

Get notified of new replies

To Your credit card!

Old 04-19-2015, 08:06 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by ratman6161
Most financed? Why should that surprise you? Even though I could have paid cash it would have been extremely foolish to do so. Why?

Because I have several nice safe investments whereI can make 5% to 7%. Financing the car was at less than 2%. I come out ahead by financing the car and keeping my cash.
but no investment is risk free...none. Dividends are not guaranteed......and investments are not guaranteed.....I suppose it depends where you are in your life....me I am 59, retired recently from a very well paying job. I have to be safe with my investments and how much debt I take on.....perhaps you are younger and can take a setback....me I cant...or rather dont want to.....
Old 04-19-2015, 08:10 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by sabbie43
so you were one of the people you were bashing? Now that you were fortunate to change your credit around you feel it's ok to preach and tell people they shouldn't buy the car? Makes no sense to me Seems kinda funny actually.
I am a believer in history...that history can teach us things.....I wish someone had counseled me....it isnt bashing, its saying you dont have the money......perhaps this doesnt apply to you or does it hit too close to home? Not sure but if it helps one person so be it!
Old 04-19-2015, 08:13 PM
Rave
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman

I read it twice and gave up.
S.
I had no idea what the OP was trying to say.

Quick Reply: Your credit card!