Sponsored by:

Big Bend Open Road Race West Texas At 160 MPH

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 10:59 PM
pistolpete817
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Big Bend Open Road Race West Texas At 160 MPH

Last week was my tenth time to run the Big Bend Open Road Race in west Texas. The wife is the navigator. We have run this course for the last several years with an average speed of 140 mph. Safety equipment rules limit us to 168 mph top speed.

I have driven the race in a 2004 C5. That was exciting. Then with a 2009 Z51. That was much better.

For this year's race I had a 2015 Z51. I can't begin to tell you how exciting this car is above 150 mph. The acceleration out the mountain turns is unbelievable. I still can't exceed 168 mph but I sure can get there faster. The handling through .7-.8 G turns at 100+ mph is so much better than my C6.

I used Sport mode all the way. The car threw no codes. There were no Service Traction Control errors.

Rough spots on this road have set the Active Handling off in the previous cars above 150 mph and caused the cars to slow down for the supposed skid until I was back on smooth road. This car did none of that. I was running 165 any time I needed to.

Each Corvette I have owned has been an improvement over it's predecessor. But in terms of high speed performance this car is a huge step up. I really enjoy this car.

For this race the car is set up as a street car. OEM brakes and tires. I drove it 500 miles each way to the race. I got 29-32 mpg when I kept the speed down. The wife even likes driving it on the practice runs.

All I can say is WOW. This is an expensive machine, but I am having a great time driving it.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:08 PM
Blue Demon
Le Mans Master

Location: And then it was said... "let there be blue Corvettes and yellow Camaros" Ft Worth Texas
Received 100 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Great way to legally enjoy your C7 at a super high speed! Congrats.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:10 PM
Cruiter
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
On order: Torch Red Z51

Mike, sounds like a lot of fun. What are the details on this race? Are there any photos?
Thanks
Originally Posted by pistolpete817
Last week was my tenth time to run the Big Bend Open Road Race in west Texas. The wife is the navigator. We have run this course for the last several years with an average speed of 140 mph. Safety equipment rules limit us to 168 mph top speed.

I have driven the race in a 2004 C5. That was exciting. Then with a 2009 Z51. That was much better.

For this year's race I had a 2015 Z51. I can't begin to tell you how exciting this car is above 150 mph. The acceleration out the mountain turns is unbelievable. I still can't exceed 168 mph but I sure can get there faster. The handling through .7-.8 G turns at 100+ mph is so much better than my C6.

I used Sport mode all the way. The car threw no codes. There were no Service Traction Control errors.

Rough spots on this road have set the Active Handling off in the previous cars above 150 mph and caused the cars to slow down for the supposed skid until I was back on smooth road. This car did none of that. I was running 165 any time I needed to.

Each Corvette I have owned has been an improvement over it's predecessor. But in terms of high speed performance this car is a huge step up. I really enjoy this car.

For this race the car is set up as a street car. OEM brakes and tires. I drove it 500 miles each way to the race. I got 29-32 mpg when I kept the speed down. The wife even likes driving it on the practice runs.

All I can say is WOW. This is an expensive machine, but I am having a great time driving it.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:15 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,291 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

This is the first year in a long time I didn't make it to BBORR and I really missed it. I've run the 150 mph average class for several years. It's way different driving and more fun than you can imagine. I always turn all the nannies off when I run it as I don't want the car doing anything on its own at 165 mph on a two lane road. Everyone should run it once.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:20 AM
rgc-c7stingray
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am thinking of doing this next year for the first time. Of course, I will be stuck at the maximum 125mph Average Speed Class (GT3) if I qualify. Not sure I would want to go any faster for the first time anyway. I will be taking the Ron Fellows Performance class in July, I hope this will prepare me a little. A few questions for you.

What Harness system do you have installed? I was thinking of going with a Vetteworks Sharkbar.

Do you have a 5 or 6 point harness?

Competition or Grand Touring Seats?

Did you have to modify the bottom seat for the 5 point or 6 point harness?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I do the right mods for qualification.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:25 AM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Old 05-01-2015, 08:46 AM
pistolpete817
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 69 Posts

What Harness system do you have installed? I was thinking of going with a Vetteworks Sharkbar.

I have a Vetteworks Sharkbar. The OEM belts are completely useable.
I have a GeForce 6 point harness for both seats.
I have Competition seats.
No mods to seats for the seat belts. I used Vetteworks floor mounts.I have a thread from several months ago with pictures on the various considerations.

Don't bring the submarine (crotch belt) up through the seats. It turns the 6 point into a 5 point. Bring the belts around the outside of your seat and under your legs.

SA2010 helmets or newer will be required by all in 2016.

BTW Any class at Big Bend is exciting. I started at 95 mph and worked up. It is addictive.

BBORR.com

Last edited by pistolpete817; 05-01-2015 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Add text
Old 05-01-2015, 08:56 AM
rgc-c7stingray
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pistolpete817

I have a Vetteworks Sharkbar. The OEM belts are completely useable.
I have a GeForce 6 point harness for both seats.
I have Competition seats.
No mods to seats for the seat belts. I used Vetteworks floor mounts.I have a thread from several months ago with pictures on the various considerations.

Don't bring the submarine (crotch belt) up through the seats. It turns the 6 point into a 5 point. Bring the belts around the outside of your seat and under your legs.

SA2010 helmets or newer will be required by all in 2016.

BTW Any class at Big Bend is exciting. I started at 95 mph and worked up. It is addictive.

BBORR.com
Thank you.
I have the GT seats, so I hope there is no problem using the harness with these seats based on BBORR regulations.

Get notified of new replies

To Big Bend Open Road Race West Texas At 160 MPH

Quick Reply: Big Bend Open Road Race West Texas At 160 MPH