C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ron Fellows Corvette School Tips (not money)

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 10:14 PM
harpster58
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ron Fellows Corvette School Tips (not money)

Just got back from Ron Fellows Corvette Owners 2-Day Performance Driving School and it was awesome! My wife and I both did the class ($1000 for me and $2250 for her with a 10% discount for her since I was taking the class). I was great for me as I’ve never experienced anything like this before and really a blast sharing the experience with my wife and it really helped to build both of our confidence in the car and see what it can do on the track. Being on the track is cool - both Fun & Challenging!!! I highly recommend taking this class!

So here are some tips that I’ve gathered from this forum and my experience… might be helpful for anyone going out in the near future.

1. If your renting a car from Las Vegas airport note that the car center way off site… closer to the 15 & 215 freeway and it’s named McCarran Rent-A-Car Center so allow some extra travel time to be bused there and back. We had a Dollar rental but the line was really long so just walked over to Payless and get basically the same deal a lot quicker.

2. It’s a scenic drive up there so might want to have a camera ready. Stop at In & Out Burger if you want a great inexpensive meal. I live in the east now and man we miss those!

3. The Spring Mountain resort is right off the 160 about 5 miles from Pahrump NV. Lots of wavy flags out front. Watch your speed going up and back to Vegas and from resort into Pahrump, this from Rick at Spring Mountain. We saw people pulled over so they know what they are talking about.

4. When you check in also check out the merchandise and if you see something you like (shirt, hat, etc.) get it at that time as they might run out of your size. We got there the night before and stayed 2 nights.

5. Rooms are nice but our little fridge didn’t work too well and they don’t have ICE at the lodging area so you will need to go to the clubhouse to get ICE if you want it. No vending machines either from what I could see but you can go into town or to the clubhouse for a coke or beer.

6. Breakfast was good and starts at 6:45… first day you need to check in at 7:300 and sign insurance waivers if you do not want the extra insurance. We didn’t get it and I don’t think it’s even available for Z06 drivers. It’s $200 and reduces deductible from $8000 to $2000 on the C7 Z51. We had one person in our class spin out but no damage to the car.

7. First day AM you ARE in the car doing exercises. It’s not class for half day and driving after lunch, you get right to it after the intro’s.

8. Take a 16 to 32 gig flash chip… most of our cars were 2015’s with PDR’s. The PDR lesson comes later so might want to try it on your car first. You can start the PDR recording anytime like when your first get in the car as you have a few minutes while everyone gets checked out. If you are going out to the track, when you get there press Mark Finish Line (you will see this option after you start recording) and the GPS will lock in this point. The when you do a lap and pass this point it will post a lap time and also draw a little track map on the playback – cool!

Steps:
- Insert Flash SD Card in slot in Glove Box
- Select PDR screen and select “Chose Video Overlay” and Select “Track”
- Select “Start Recording (do this now so you don’t forget)
- If going on track, Press “Mark Finish Line” when you reach a point on the track where you want a lap to occur.
- When returning press “Stop Recording” and remember to remove your card before exiting car!

Be sure to put your name on your SD card in case you forget and leave in car. When playing back on a Mac, double clicking the file seems to show video but there is no audio. Get the free VLC program and use that for playback and you will have the video & audio.

9. I had a GoPro with me but didn’t use it because I was kinda focused on the driving and the PDR was good. But if you have a GoPro get a suction cup mount. They sell them there for $40 but may run out so better to get in advance and test it. With the GoPro you can shoot in the same direction as the PDR (out the front or swing upside down back at you which will be great later for seeing things like hand positions, which way your looking, shifting, etc.. Don’t forget to flip the image upside down if you do this (I think you can do it later with the GoPro software if you forget).

10. They are not teaching the Heal Toe shift technique anymore, using the C7 Rev matching is now the preferred way. I asked Rick about this and he said it’s too hard to teach this in a session and then use it immediately on the exercises. The the C7 Rev matching does the job! I mention this because I was practicing Heal Toe just for this class but never got comfortable with it so Rev Matching is OK with me!

11. Photos – I read some complaints on the forum about photos and they have changed the way they do it. If you want photos sign up early to take the $195 to $165. If you have multiple people you might get a further discount. Photos are now given to you on a Flash drive at the end of the class. My wife and I got around 35 picts each and they are great shots! You do get a few free printed photos and a group photo you can print if you want. But if you want ALL the driving shots you need to sign-up and do it before you go to save on the package.

12. It’s HOT out in the high desert but no worries – windows are up and AC is ON. Be sure to turn on your seat ventilation fan too! Wear shorts and comfortable clothes. Any shoes seem to work but thinner soles are better so you feel the pedals.

13. The radio system from instructors to cars works great. It’s a CB piped through the car audio system so you can control the volume with the radio volume control. This is not a helmet system and I like this car Radio Audio set up better. There is a hand mic in the car – “push to talk” if you need to talk back to the instructor but it was rarely used by anyone.

14. There are snacks, coffee & soda drinks, Gatorade concentrate that you can add to any water bottle and lots of opportunities to take short breaks in between driving sessions. Suntan lotion is also provided.

15. Lunch is also provided (hour break) and they will Van you to the clubhouse and back. We walked back I don’t think anyone else did.

16. Lots of places to eat nearby and they give you a list of recommended to choose from. The Winery seems to be a hit… we ate at the Mexican place and the Chinese buffet and both were real good.

A lot has been said already about this class so I won’t go into all the details I just wanted to post some things I wanted to know myself before going…. Take this class, it’s great, the experience and information are great, instructors are ALL great. I’m already saving my money for Level 2!

Last edited by harpster58; 06-01-2015 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Update #8 PDR
Old 05-31-2015, 10:30 PM
Sallye M
22 Hypersonic Grey HTC
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 142 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Corvette driving school Spring Mtn

All great tips!
Old 05-31-2015, 10:47 PM
traronf
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 93 Posts

Is there an instructor riding with you at all times? Or just radio communications?
Old 05-31-2015, 11:01 PM
TNSQUIRE
Drifting

Received 336 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by traronf
Is there an instructor riding with you at all times? Or just radio communications?
Radio communications. They are pacing you in a Camaro and watching you in their mirror while giving you advice over the radio.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:15 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,305 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Thanks for those tips. Hope to go through the class some day.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:42 AM
harpster58
Intermediate

Originally Posted by traronf
Instructor is with you when you do the Oval & Figure 8's on the wet course (not track). Only time the instructor is with you on the track is when they are driving to show you some "fast" laps so you can see how it's supposed to be done. This really helps, everyone seems to drive the course better after this demo!
Old 06-01-2015, 12:42 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,928 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Great info thanks for taking the time to share.
Old 06-01-2015, 02:33 PM
Roadrogue
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

Thanks. Helpful.
Old 06-01-2015, 02:51 PM
Cyber_C7
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the tips. Very helpful. I'm heading there in July. Can't wait.
Old 06-01-2015, 02:56 PM
traronf
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 93 Posts

Thanks for the info this was very helpful as I will be there at the end of the month.
Old 06-01-2015, 03:47 PM
socalspringmountain
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 418 Likes on 186 Posts

Hi!
Big thank you for your post, as it answers a lot of questions for folks coming out for the first time!
We are working on getting our ice machines replaced very soon, so apologize for that issue.
In and out burger
if you've never eaten there, it's worth it in my book. i always get it animal style, with well done fries!

I do want to clarify that if you are coming for the two day stingray owner's program, we do, as you mentioned not teach heel toe anymore. If you are taking the regular 3 day program, it is still taught, and given the option to turn it on/off during your school.

for the start/finish line, if you mark it, it should save it to your sd card, so you shouldn't have to reset it every time, if you move from one car to another.
cheers!

The Official Performance Driving School Of Corvette
www.racespringmountain.com
victor@racespringmountain.com
800-391-6891

Old 06-01-2015, 04:05 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

So Harpster58,for being there A couple days what's the bottom line?hHow much would you say total?
Old 06-01-2015, 04:16 PM
runner61627
Burning Brakes

Received 379 Likes on 256 Posts

Excellent information! Thanks for posting
Old 06-01-2015, 04:38 PM
harpster58
Intermediate

Originally Posted by thrilled
So Harpster58,for being there A couple days what's the bottom line?hHow much would you say total?
My wife would need to answer that one but you figure the class, airfare, car, extra night of lodging, food... I mean it's not exactly cheap but man is it fun! And.....if your lucky you can win it all back in Vegas

Last edited by harpster58; 06-01-2015 at 04:41 PM.
Old 06-01-2015, 04:44 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by harpster58
My wife would need to answer that one but you figure the class, airfare, car, extra night of lodging, food... I mean it's not exactly cheap but man is it fun! And.....if your lucky you can win it all back in Vegas
Not the way I play.I can't win much I'm to conservative.
Old 06-01-2015, 05:17 PM
///ADMAN
Melting Slicks

Received 471 Likes on 307 Posts

Windows up, Huh? That's a new one.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:20 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by ///ADMAN
Windows up, Huh? That's a new one.
Thank god, I'm taking the class in several weeks and see the temps are in the upper 90's to 100+ during the day.

Thanks for the tips harpster

Get notified of new replies

To Ron Fellows Corvette School Tips (not money)

Old 06-01-2015, 06:57 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Well worth the time you spent to do the write-up. Thanks!
Old 06-01-2015, 07:07 PM
WilliamCall
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by socalspringmountain
Hi!
Big thank you for your post, as it answers a lot of questions for folks coming out for the first time!
We are working on getting our ice machines replaced very soon, so apologize for that issue.
In and out burger
if you've never eaten there, it's worth it in my book. i always get it animal style, with well done fries!

I do want to clarify that if you are coming for the two day stingray owner's program, we do, as you mentioned not teach heel toe anymore. If you are taking the regular 3 day program, it is still taught, and given the option to turn it on/off during your school.

for the start/finish line, if you mark it, it should save it to your sd card, so you shouldn't have to reset it every time, if you move from one car to another.
cheers!

Awesome! I've signed up for the three day Z06 class in early November. Can't wait! I've invited my local instructor to be my guest. He's just as excited. See you in November.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:15 AM
c8nukeZ51
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 50 Posts

Stay away from the cars with the transparent roof as I found them to be hot inside the cab.

Quick Reply: Ron Fellows Corvette School Tips (not money)