Sponsored by:

The learning curve--paint products

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 09:40 PM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Received 350 Likes on 152 Posts

Default The learning curve--paint products

Well, I decided today to make a trip to the automotive paint store. I have done some limited painting in my time, but the guy behind the counter, who has worked at the store for 35 years, gave me a real education on paint products. He went into the molecular structure of the paint and all that entails with regard to drying time, compatibility, durability, etc. Way more than I ever intended to learn.

I had been vacillating back and forth about using single stage paint or base/clear. When it was all said and done, I made the move to base/clear application. Never knew there were different types of clear sprays.

At the end of my visit, I came out of the store with the Plastic prep spray cleaner, Plastic adherent, base coat, and clear coat. In addition, I purchased some other accessories for paint. All together, the bill was $92.00. Since I plan on doing a significant amount of painting, I did not think this was all that bad. Besides, for me, there will be a lot of learning going on. I know, I could probably have just purchased the parts already painted, but what the hell........................? Might as well have another adventure. Wish me luck.

I absolutely love this car. Took it to the dealer to have them wash and detail the vehicle and the kid who did the work, hand wash/dried with interior detailing, was fantastic. It looked better than when I took it off of the show room floor. And, it was free and will be as long as I own the car. Can't beat that! The salesman brought the car to me and I forgot to give the kid a tip. I will make up for that, plus some, next week.

Last edited by rkhegler; 06-08-2015 at 09:44 PM.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:59 PM
bbrown450
Melting Slicks

Received 503 Likes on 347 Posts

you have big ones to give a dealer your car to detail.....typically never ends well as they are there to get them in and out as quick as they can they use brushes use pail's that do not have grit trays ect..... I am glad it turned out great for you 11
Old 06-08-2015, 11:32 PM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Received 350 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by bbrown450
you have big ones to give a dealer your car to detail.....typically never ends well as they are there to get them in and out as quick as they can they use brushes use pail's that do not have grit trays ect..... I am glad it turned out great for you 11
Well, like I said, the kid did a fantastic job.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:01 AM
Slooby
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Chadwick's

Over a year now and all I've used is Chadwick's. Love the stuff. No water will touch my car as long as this is around. Can do my car in less than a half hour and it looks fantastic!
Old 04-17-2017, 02:38 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

I arranged courtesy deliver by phone at a dealer 25 miles from my home that I knew nothing about (for my '08 C6 called as far as 60 miles away and couldn't find anyone who would do it!) I flew to NJ and drove the car, ordered from Kerbeck, 12 hours home!

Visited two weeks ago to see about their service capability and bring them my jack pucks! Met the very sharp service manager. They are a small dealer. When I mentioned not to bother to wash the car as I was going to do it myself, use clay bar and Zaino anyway he said, "My wife said the same thing, she has a 2016 Vette and did the same!"

Only his top mechanic touches Corvette's. When I called last week and left him a message with my VIN and said my side skirts and splitter would be coming to their parts department with that VIN number, he called right back and asked if I wanted a call when the truck came in! He said he thought mine had just come in but turned out it was a Vette they purchased for stock. Great selection for a dealer! I'll use them for whatever versus the large dealer in town I have used for my other Vette servcie!

Last edited by JerryU; 04-17-2017 at 02:42 AM.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:16 AM
p3pilot
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 279 Likes on 153 Posts

Couldn't agree more. Picked up my factory ordered 2017 Z51 from the dealership and the detailers had put tons of swirl marks in the clear coat. Had to have a professional fix all the issues. At least the dealership payed for it. They have a standing order not to wash my car when I bring it in for maintenance now. Pretty sad that most dealerships pay amateurs minimum wage to do this job.

Get notified of new replies

To The learning curve--paint products

Quick Reply: The learning curve--paint products