Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My (lack of) GPS solution

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 05:22 PM
Karanx7
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Guess I'll go against the grain and say that looks ... not very good. On a car in this price range, that looks really tacky. Something I would see on a Civic.
Old 06-13-2015, 05:23 PM
sanantguy
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by meyerweb
  • My Garmin lets me build routes on the computer, defining exactly the roads I want to take, and upload those routes to the GPS. Google maps only lets you put in destinations, and then it chooses the roads. When I'm out for fun, I don't want to pick the fastest or shortest route, I want to pick the twistiest route. No way to do that with Google. (You can do it manually on the PC, by dragging the route around, but there's no way to force your phone to follow that route.)
  • My Garmin lets me choose to automatically reroute if I go off the programmed route, or not. Maps always reroutes. Not always what I want to do.
  • My Garmin will remember a track of where I've driven, which I can upload to a PC and review later. I can also convert that to a route later.
  • My Garmin shows me more info: altitude, moving average speed, total average speed, time spent not moving, total time, and more.
  • I can save a Garmin route to a file, and share it with other Garmin users. Handy if you want a group of people to travel together.

OTOH, maps let's me say things like "Navigate to [restaurant name] without having to look up the address. Can't do that on my GPS. But sometimes doing that doesn't work very well. Yesterday I told Maps to "Navigate to [restaurant name, city, state] and the app insisted on taking me to a restaurant of the same name in a neighboring state. Not very helpful.
Just to bring you into this decade:

* My iphone asks me if I want to reroute if there is heavy traffic, and also presents 3 separate routes to choose from when I first input an address to go to.

* My iphone also remembers popular destinations that I like and how I got there.

*I can find directions on the computer, or on the phone, and send them to my phone, or anyone else by text or email. (from the phone or computer)

*My phone also can speak to me (over my cars speakers). And I can also ask for directions using my voice only.

*Zagat ratings, real time traffic updates, constant software updates are also happening. Meaning that I'm never looking for a restaurant or location without it coming up (because the software is too old).

these things in addition to a host of other options that only grow as time goes on. The best part is there is no extra investment. Since your phone is used. And no hardware to go out of date (since your phone gets updated every couple years anyhow.)

You were saying??

Let me go ahead and continue this class with Spotify. For all of you out there that keep your music on storage device of some sort still.

A brief lesson on that is that service is 6 bucks a month for CD quality streaming. And has a library of 20 million songs all at your fingertips to make whatever playlists you want.

Last edited by sanantguy; 06-13-2015 at 05:29 PM.
Old 06-13-2015, 08:10 PM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

OK Mr iPhone guy- I'd like to see how your phone works in the thousand dead zones all around the country. A GPS works from the satellites from space- not line of sight towers.
The following users liked this post:
white90conv (06-12-2019)
Old 06-13-2015, 08:11 PM
Sir Nuke
Drifting

Received 425 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by meyerweb
Do you guys miss being able to use the infotainment screen while using the GPS?
Not at all.....for I rarely ever use my Tom Tom.....and if I do need to use it.....I have already programed in my destination, my radio is already on.....or the flash drive with a few thousand songs on its (which is in its slot at all times) is already playing.....I drop the screen and take off. PIECE OF CAKE.
Old 06-13-2015, 08:15 PM
Sir Nuke
Drifting

Received 425 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Karanx7
Guess I'll go against the grain and say that looks ... not very good. On a car in this price range, that looks really tacky. Something I would see on a Civic.

Old 06-13-2015, 11:16 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Joe Stingray
Old 06-14-2015, 09:09 AM
sanantguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VatorMan
OK Mr iPhone guy- I'd like to see how your phone works in the thousand dead zones all around the country. A GPS works from the satellites from space- not line of sight towers.
Just did that in the middle of Arizona. And yeah, I know how GPS works.

When you lose a signal it will use dead reckoning from the Accelerometer and gyroscope built in.

Even in the middle of butthole Arizona and nevada I never did not have a signal for long at all.

Next question.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:21 AM
Roadrogue
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

Quite true. I guess the youngster never leaves the city.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:22 AM
Roadrogue
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sanantguy
Just did that in the middle of Arizona. And yeah, I know how GPS works.

When you lose a signal it will use dead reckoning from the Accelerometer and gyroscope built in.

Even in the middle of butthole Arizona and nevada I never did not have a signal for long at all.

Next question.
Try that in WV. I just did. It didn't work. Lost Pandora, too. For quite a while.
Old 06-14-2015, 12:01 PM
sanantguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Roadrogue
Try that in WV. I just did. It didn't work. Lost Pandora, too. For quite a while.
Let me add a statement.

For 99% of the driving that MOST people do in this country. Not having enough of a gps signal to the point of your phones google maps to not function is rare, if ever.

if your that 1% that lives in the boonies and has no cell phone signal. Well, I'd think you have bigger problems than that anyhow.

Cell phone rule #1 Thou shall not have sprint as as service provider.
Old 06-14-2015, 12:10 PM
c5eddiem
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Great idea !

A recent post (just about a year ago)...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...on-issues.html

I have Nav, but it is so bad, I installed the Garmin for backup! Just recently needed it because the MyLink Nav couldn't find the address I needed to go to. Popped up on the Garmin (6 year old one) in seconds.

When I get in my car, my phone is in my pocket. Bluetooth allows me to keep it there for phone calls.

My built-in GPS and add on Garmin sure beat taking the phone out, putting it in the bracket somewhere, (plugging it in, possibly). Worst case scenario, I have to push the screen down button.... and a GPS is always powered from the car, no need to attach dangling cables, or connect to brackets.

I firmly believe that factory installed GPS would blow the phone systems out of the water... IF the manufacturers didn't go with such poor GPS software. My $400 option Garmin based GPS in my Dodge Journey is spectacular... my C7 nav is junk, but as I've noted before, GM says they designed it that way!

Ed
Old 06-14-2015, 12:39 PM
Roadrogue
Burning Brakes

Let me add a statement.

For 99% of the driving that MOST people do in this country. Not having enough of a gps signal to the point of your phones google maps to not function is rare, if ever.

if your that 1% that lives in the boonies and has no cell phone signal. Well, I'd think you have bigger problems than that anyhow.

How condescending like your previous posts. In fact I live in Pittsburgh and travel to the mountains because those are the best roads and where I need nav the most.
Old 06-14-2015, 01:07 PM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

Originally Posted by Roadrogue
I'll bet you went through the "quiet" area of WV. They have interstellar listening dishes and have a huge area with no cell towers.
Old 06-14-2015, 02:34 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Let me add a statement.

Yeah, like no flush toilets .............
"True Dat !"
Old 06-14-2015, 05:54 PM
_razar_
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VETJAZZ

Whoa there skippy.... This is the only thing in this thread that interests me since I too have red interior.....

What iphone case and power/cord is that???
Old 06-14-2015, 06:07 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

2016 and newer won't have this issue.

They will support Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Which means you can just use the GPS + apps on your iPhone or Android phone and either Apple or Google Maps will show up on the factory 8" touchscreen.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:19 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

The GPS on a smartphone works the exact same way. It pings the same GPS satellites that your dedicated Garmin does. Furthermore most of the better smartphone GPS apps will allow you to download your entire route/map just incase you lose your cellular connection while driving through remote areas.. (I know for a fact that Google Maps does this). TomTom for example stores the entire map of the U.S. on the phone.. and while it hogs up 1.5GB of storage space you will NEVER have to worry about TomTom not working due to a "dead zone".

At this point there is almost nothing a dedicated GPS unit does, that a smartphone GPS app can't do. Generally speaking the smartphone apps get updated much more often, report live traffic (including accidents, road closures, cops, etc), have much more detailed information about points of interests (i.e. restaurant reviews, contact information, pictures, etc) and have up to the minute feedback from other drivers also using the app and traveling the same roads you are.

I know some of you guys are hardcore about the dedicated GPS units.. but once you use a decent one on your smartphone you will never go back to carrying another device that simply does a task that your smartphone already executes incredibly well.

Get notified of new replies

To My (lack of) GPS solution

Old 06-14-2015, 06:23 PM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Received 350 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by VETJAZZ
I have a Garmin in the cubby, but rarely use it.

I usually use WAZE. Directions sent through the car sound system.

So, where did you get that phone stand?
Old 06-14-2015, 08:47 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 494 Likes on 320 Posts

No need to get snarky, jerk off. I'm well aware of the capabilities of modern devices. And I did say there are things a smartphone can do that my GPS can't. But none of the things you list below are what I listed above. Maybe hone your reading comprehension skills a little bit?

Just to bring you into this decade:

* My iphone asks me if I want to reroute if there is heavy traffic, and also presents 3 separate routes to choose from when I first input an address to go to.
Not even remotely close to the same as building a custome route, choosing the roads I want to follow

* My iphone also remembers popular destinations that I like and how I got there.
Nice. So does a Garmin. Can you save that information and send it to someone else as a route? Note the destination and waypoints, but an actual custom route, that YOU defined, not one that Apple defined?

*I can find directions on the computer, or on the phone, and send them to my phone, or anyone else by text or email. (from the phone or computer)
Does it send the actual ROUTE, or just the destination(s), and then create the route on the phone? That's all I've seen a smartphone do, and it's not even close to what I described.

*My phone also can speak to me (over my cars speakers). And I can also ask for directions using my voice only.
Yeah, so can my phone. But my Garmin is loud enough I don't need to have the directions over my speakers. So I can actually listen to XM, or another music source, on the car system, and still get spoken directions. Don't think your iPhone lets you do that, does it?

*Zagat ratings, real time traffic updates, constant software updates are also happening. Meaning that I'm never looking for a restaurant or location without it coming up (because the software is too old).
Many GPS units do real-time traffic now. Garmin updates maps quarterly. Not exactly real time, but in spite of what you think Apple isn't updating their map database in real time. It gets batch updates. Probably more than quarterly, but I've not run into any more issues with incorrect maps on the Garmin than on a smartphone. As far as Zagat and the like, yeah. I said smartphone have some advantages. There's that reading comprehension thing again.

these things in addition to a host of other options that only grow as time goes on. The best part is there is no extra investment. Since your phone is used. And no hardware to go out of date (since your phone gets updated every couple years anyhow.)

You were saying??
I was saying that, in spite of the limited reading comprehension Apple fanboys seem to have, that GPS units do thing that smartphones don't. Incontrovertibly true, and you've done nothing to prove otherwise. I also said there are things smartphones do that GPS units don't. But your kneejerk "Apple uber alles" response apparently prevented you from actually reading my post.

Let me go ahead and continue this class with Spotify. For all of you out there that keep your music on storage device of some sort still.

A brief lesson on that is that service is 6 bucks a month for CD quality streaming. And has a library of 20 million songs all at your fingertips to make whatever playlists you want.
Boy, you really are arrogant, aren't you? My career is in technology, and I'm currently managing a team of mobile developers. I'm plenty familiar with spotify. And it spite of its 20 million songs, there's a whole lot of music I like that spotify doesn't cover at all, or has only a few songs by the artist. A brief lesson in humility: you don't know it all, you don't have all the answers, and what works best for you isn't automatically best for everyone. Your momma didn't give birth to a perfect child. Admitting that to yourself would be a good start to becoming human.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:53 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 494 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
The GPS on a smartphone works the exact same way. It pings the same GPS satellites that your dedicated Garmin does. Furthermore most of the better smartphone GPS apps will allow you to download your entire route/map just incase you lose your cellular connection while driving through remote areas.. (I know for a fact that Google Maps does this). TomTom for example stores the entire map of the U.S. on the phone.. and while it hogs up 1.5GB of storage space you will NEVER have to worry about TomTom not working due to a "dead zone".
NO. Google maps does NOT do this. Maps allows you to download only a small subset of maps along your route. Try downloading a 1000 mile trip: Can't do it. And if you decide to go off-route while in a dead zone, Google maps can't help you at all. Yes, there are other apps that do (Here is a good one), but most aren't free, and generally have other limitations compared to Google Maps.

At this point there is almost nothing a dedicated GPS unit does, that a smartphone GPS app can't do.
Sorry, but you're clearly not familiar with the capabilities of premium GPS units.

I know some of you guys are hardcore about the dedicated GPS units.. but once you use a decent one on your smartphone you will never go back to carrying another device that simply does a task that your smartphone already executes incredibly well.
Almost as arrogant as sanatguy, assuming that those of use who find benefits to stand alone GPS units aren't familiar with smartphone mapping apps. I think the reverse is true: you're not familiar with the capabilities of a high-end GPS unit. I use my smartphone (Maps, Waze, Here) when I simply need to get somewhere. All three work, all three have issues with some locations and routes. But when I want much more control than any of those apps give me, I use my standalone GPS unit. And there's no mapping app that does some of the things my GPS can do.

Quick Reply: My (lack of) GPS solution