Another C7 Z06 Crashes on Track

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 01:13 AM
B747VET
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 861 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by droideka
Automatic. 'Nuff said. Automatics should only be allowed on track for parade laps. You don't learn anything about complete car control in an auto. He was probably bumped up into the advanced group due to straight-line speed and a notion that the novice group drivers were holding him up.
I have absolutely no idea as to why anyone would believe that automatics should be relegated to the parade lap. But that means that there would be no cars on the track in actual Indy races or Formula One races and there would be no C7R's or Ferraris allowed to compete in any race.

I also have no ability to conceive why the question of auto or manual has anything to do with mastering "complete car control."

I believe it was Randy Pobst that said the autos are both faster and safer on the track than the manuals. He also said that he wondered how much longer performance cars would be equipped with manual transmissions as they are increasingly rather antiquated.

Now I'm certainly not in Randy's driving league, but I have one stick performance car and one auto performance car. I've also driven Ferraris , Porches, and DB9s with DCTs and all of that leads me to kinda believe Pobst is probably quite on target with his transmission assessments. Manual trannys are fun and can give great personal driving satisfaction but they are increasingly antiquated from a race perspective.

I will probably get a 2015/2016 C7 Z51 or C7 ZO6 in the next year and it will likely have a 7 speed. But that is because I love driving a stick, not because I suffer from some delusion that an automatic would be a slower alternative.

Further, it increasingly seems that the 2016 C7 may just be the last Corvette equipped with a manual transmission. I've also driven the new C7 8 speed auto and in most respects it is just about the equal of any DCT I've driven. But, by your logic, I guess all 2017 and newer Corvettes will be relegated to parade laps?

Last edited by B747VET; 07-15-2015 at 01:32 PM.
Old 07-15-2015, 07:00 AM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Received 350 Likes on 152 Posts

I am too old for that stuff anymore. I just drive for pleasure. (Occasionally, I kick some Mustang's butt off the line at a stop sign)
Old 07-15-2015, 01:15 PM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by Jedi-Jurist
I already had one, so I didn't ask. I'll see if I can get him on here.
If you get in touch with him, just PM me.

Quick Reply: Another C7 Z06 Crashes on Track