Sponsored by:

USB music help

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 05:40 PM
probono
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts
Default USB music help

Loaded about 140 songs onto a 2 gb Sandisk USB drive, and inserted it into one of the USB ports in the center console. The screen only shows and plays 3 songs. Reformatted the drive with FAT32, and no joy.

Songs play fine from the thumb drive on my computer.

Anyone with some ideas?

Thanks,

Ken
Old 07-16-2015, 06:00 PM
rrod436
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

On the left of the screen, press "Browse"
Across the bottom choose "Songs"
You should have all your files now.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:11 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

The Corvette's system will play the contents of one folder. Once it does that, it will continue to repeat the contents of that folder until you tell it to play the contents of a different folder. In other words, it doesn't have the ability to jump to another folder by itself. My guess (and it's only a guess) is that the three songs that are getting played are in a folder with no other files and that the rest of your music is in a different folder(s) - is this correct? If so, the solution is simply to either eliminate all folders or put all music tracks into a single folder. Hopefully I've expressed this in a way where it makes sense.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:23 PM
Lawnmower7200
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can tell you right now that the media player is horrible when it comes to folder/track selection because it's incapable of playing recursively across folders. Your best bet is to leave the media files in whatever folder structure you have and create playlists that point to them. You can make any number of playlists, though you probably would want to keep the number of them to a few screenfuls to make scrolling easy. The playlists should contain the path (i.e. starting at root, but no drive letter) to the media files. Put the playlists in the media's root directory.

I recommend oddgravity.de "Playlist Creator". Works like a champ. Price is right.

Last edited by Lawnmower7200; 07-16-2015 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:46 PM
Bill B 1
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

the folder issue mentioned by others may well be the problem. I play exclusively from the usb drive in the compartment behind the infotainment screen and have had zero problems. I know I have no folders on the drive, only songs loaded directly to the drive from my PC.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:05 PM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

You have to go to Audio mode and then to the "shuffle" mode and "songs" which will play everything on your USB.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:24 PM
Bill B 1
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Campbell
You have to go to Audio mode and then to the "shuffle" mode and "songs" which will play everything on your USB.
that's how mine is set.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:07 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by mpuzach
The Corvette's system will play the contents of one folder. Once it does that, it will continue to repeat the contents of that folder until you tell it to play the contents of a different folder. In other words, it doesn't have the ability to jump to another folder by itself. My guess (and it's only a guess) is that the three songs that are getting played are in a folder with no other files and that the rest of your music is in a different folder(s) - is this correct? If so, the solution is simply to either eliminate all folders or put all music tracks into a single folder. Hopefully I've expressed this in a way where it makes sense.
The secret is to,make sure the ID tags on the MP3 files are done correctly. Then you can play by Artist, album, or genre. I have almost 5000 songs on two different media sources, SD Card and USB DRIVE. They are all in folders structured by artist and album. I can request the system play "Rock" and every song that's tagged as being rock on either drive will play. I can also say play Elton John, select an individual album or all songs, and it will do so. The system has no problem at all with folders. In fact, the manual says you can have 11 levels of folders. See page 20 of the Infotainment manual. They key is proper file tagging, so there is info for the system to use in sorting music.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:15 PM
VINDIC8R
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawnmower7200
I can tell you right now that the media player is horrible when it comes to folder/track selection because it's incapable of playing recursively across folders. Your best bet is to leave the media files in whatever folder structure you have and create playlists that point to them. You can make any number of playlists, though you probably would want to keep the number of them to a few screenfuls to make scrolling easy. The playlists should contain the path (i.e. starting at root, but no drive letter) to the media files. Put the playlists in the media's root directory.

I recommend oddgravity.de "Playlist Creator". Works like a champ. Price is right.
Ditto!
Old 07-16-2015, 09:36 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by fdxpilot
The secret is to,make sure the ID tags on the MP3 files are done correctly. Then you can play by Artist, album, or genre. I have almost 5000 songs on two different media sources, SD Card and USB DRIVE. They are all in folders structured by artist and album. I can request the system play "Rock" and every song that's tagged as being rock on either drive will play. I can also say play Elton John, select an individual album or all songs, and it will do so. The system has no problem at all with folders. In fact, the manual says you can have 11 levels of folders. See page 20 of the Infotainment manual. They key is proper file tagging, so there is info for the system to use in sorting music.
I don't disagree with anything you've said here. My only point was that it's been my experience that when playing an album (each of my albums is in its own folder), once the entire album has played it repeats itself until I select a different album. This is different from how my other vehicle works. In that car, when an album has finished playing the next one (alphabetically) automatically starts playing.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:45 AM
probono
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts

Many thanks for the help...all I had to do was press "browse", then "songs", and I was good to go. Very cool that I can just say the name of the song I want to hear, and it plays!!

For an old guy, I'm loving this technology

Ken

Get notified of new replies

To USB music help

Quick Reply: USB music help