Sponsored by:

This Car Wants To Go Fast

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 09:56 AM
scrmeagle
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
With 460 hp and lots of torque, the car should be fast. GM did it right with the C7.
I don't even have mine yet and I can tell it's very fast. TPW 8/17. I'm just psychic!
Old 07-17-2015, 10:00 AM
LDYSTIG
Pro

Received 145 Likes on 83 Posts

I did a third gear pull around two cars who were playing, "let's be buddy buddy and go 66 in the two far left lanes on the highway!" Looked down and I was going 96 (in Mexico, of course ) almost instantly. This car is just stupid fast, I can't imagine what the guys in the Z06's feel like...
Old 07-17-2015, 10:08 AM
C7_Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by sanantguy
****, my G37 gets to 90 accelerating around people easily. This thing better blow my mind when she comes in. I'm not upgrading from a prius here.
Oh yes it will... especially in terms of wideband torque and handling/balance compared to the V36 G-series including the 4th gens (I also have a G37 which is no slouch).
Old 07-17-2015, 10:11 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Hahahaha alright.

First, I think Chevy could learn many lessons from Infiniti. From proper customer service to building a quality product for less.

I have zero complaints about my current car, it is loaded and was over 20k less than a 1LT.

Throwing a big V8 in a car does not make it great.

Point is my vette has a very high bar to meet, I hope it can.
With all the benefits you list for the G37, why are you trading for a C7?

Less quality, higher price, poor customer service. I've never purchased a car with that in mind going in.

Appears that the G37 is a great car for you.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:17 AM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret

Less quality, higher price, poor customer service. I've never purchased a car with that in mind going in.

he should keep the G37.

BTW throwing in a small block V8 in a car does make it awesome

Name one other car that can do 0-60 in under 4 seconds and get 30mpg on the highway.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:56 AM
OrioleFan
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 33 Posts

****, my G37 gets to 90 accelerating around people easily. This thing better blow my mind when she comes in. I'm not upgrading from a prius here.
You're comparing a Corvette to an Infiniti G37? Wow. Two entirely different levels of cars.

My 1994 Vette is quicker than your G37. Think about that.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:15 AM
C7_Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by OrioleFan
You're comparing a Corvette to an Infiniti G37? Wow. Two entirely different levels of cars.

Nothing horribly wrong with his question... I think it's a legit and simple query.

A stock C4 had these 0-60mph published times:
R&T showed 6.1 on an '86
C&D showed 5.6 on an '88
C&D showed 4.6 on a '90 (ZR1 )
R&T showed a 5.0 on a '92

A stock 4th gen G37 had these 0-60mph times:
R&T showed 5.4 on an '09 G37 auto coupe
MT showed a 5.0 on an '09 G37 S auto sedan
C&D showed a 5.4 on an '11 IPL manual G37 coupe
(they all run high 13's in 1/4 mile)
Old 07-17-2015, 11:28 AM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

Somethin' wrong with my car! When I don't push the accelerator it just sits there. Is this a warranty issue?
Old 07-17-2015, 11:30 AM
Streetrod782
Burning Brakes

Received 187 Likes on 122 Posts
Default This Car Wants To Go Fast

I'm coming off a blown 392 Challenger with 550 rwhp that was a blast in a straight line. I'm hoping the vette won't be a disappointment as far as acceleration. I spent so much modding that car that I will be leaving this car all stock.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:33 AM
ratman6161
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by DAFFYDRUNK
So far I'm happy with the quality other than maybe some room for improvement in the paint department. My car performs flawless so far.

I agree about the customer service comments. I'm fearful to take my car in for any service as I worry about damage or inept service guys. When spending this much money on a product of any sort this simply should not be the case. I'll change my own oil and only take it to the dealer if something expensive fails. Hell, since I got my car from Macmulkin, I might not even be able to get it serviced depending on whether the local dealer has a pitty party.

Even at the start of the 3rd model year, C7s are still high demand cars. If GM was smart they should've leveraged this demand into dramatically improved customer service. You don't provide quality customer service you mysteriously have allocation issues. Get rid of this awful survey system too. Doesn't accomplish anything when I'm afraid to answer it honestly for fear of retaliation by the people servicing my car.
The quality of customer service on any car is highly dependent on the dealer. At least with Chevy, I've got many to choose from where with Infinity there are only two in the state of MN and both of those are an hour's drive away. Beyond that, its Des Moines IA. So if I liked one of the two in Minnesota it would be great...if an hour's drive was OK. But If I lived somewhere like Duluth and those dealers are three hours away???? Of course a Nissan dealer for my truck is an hours drive too but still a lot more Nissan Dealers to choose from. And of course I have a lot of Chevy dealer possibilities.

And, on doing your own oil change issue, if you don't trust a dealer with an oil change, how are you going to trust them with a major warranty repair if you need it? I took mine back to the same dealer I bought it from for the first oil change since I owned it (got it used in April) and used it as a way to see how their service department treated me. I liked what I saw and the way they treated me so I'll keep going back. But I would not want to wait for a major repair to find out weather or not I liked them
Old 07-17-2015, 12:01 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,928 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Originally Posted by juanvaldez
Somethin' wrong with my car! When I don't push the accelerator it just sits there. Is this a warranty issue?
Nope that would be a brain cell issue.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:26 PM
sanantguy
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

It's an outstanding car in every respect. And it's paid off.

I like the styling and miss a high horsepower V8. I hope the trade off is worth it.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:29 PM
sanantguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OrioleFan

Doubtful, I had a 93 vette, and while it was a fun car, it did not compare.

yeah yeah, the C7 is the end all be all

Last edited by sanantguy; 07-17-2015 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:43 PM
seCen
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

My last car before the c7 was an 6mt g37. Its a night and day difference between the two. the 37 would go maybe high 13s while the c7 go high 11s so theres no comparison. My only "complaint" if there is ever one is the c7 spent more time at the dealership (6 months of owning it) already fixing ticky tack stuff than my 6 years of owning the g37.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:48 PM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Streetrod782
I'm coming off a blown 392 Challenger with 550 rwhp that was a blast in a straight line. I'm hoping the vette won't be a disappointment as far as acceleration. I spent so much modding that car that I will be leaving this car all stock.
I would not expect the C7 to have the acceleration edge over your Challenger w/ the mods you added. I anticipate you'll be disappointed trading off the back seat and the extra space of the Challenger for the looks of a C7 if it's straight line acceleration you enjoy. You'd be better of looking at the Challenger Hellcat (or Charger HC) as a replacement rather than a C7.

The C7 is a very fast stock car (not the fastest). You start modifying other cars and that changes the entire dynamic or shop a car with a known performance edge over the C7. Anything less is going to be a disappointment.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:51 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,928 Likes on 4,810 Posts

I would not expect the C7 to have the acceleration edge over your Challenger w/ the mods you added. I anticipate you'll be disappointed trading off the back seat and the extra space of the Challenger for the looks of a C7 if it's straight line acceleration you enjoy. You'd be better of looking at the Challenger Hellcat (or Charger HC) as a replacement rather than a C7.

The C7 is a very fast stock car (not the fastest). You start modifying other cars and that changes the entire dynamic or shop a car with a known performance edge over the C7. Anything less is going to be a disappointment.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:12 PM
DeStreGa5
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by seCen
My last car before the c7 was an 6mt g37. Its a night and day difference between the two. the 37 would go maybe high 13s while the c7 go high 11s so theres no comparison. My only "complaint" if there is ever one is the c7 spent more time at the dealership (6 months of owning it) already fixing ticky tack stuff than my 6 years of owning the g37.
My last car was an '05 G35 6MT and it's a huge difference. I've also test driven a 2008 G37 with paddles and it didn't feel much quicker than mine. After getting the C7, I was blown away by the speed. I've already gotten a speeding ticket by accidently flooring it for a whole 2 seconds lol. 35-55 goes by very quickly, at least when I did it. I've floored it regularly in both cars and the g's are much more noticeable in the C7.

The funny thing is that the C7 is much louder and quiteter at the same time. The engine and exhaust just take over if you leave it in Sport, but the road/wind noise is much better when compared to my G35. I used to get very scared when getting up to 80+. It would shake a lot and I would hear a lot of wind noise. With the C7, it feels like I'm driving much slower than I really am. So yes, I think the performance and technology is much better than a G. You won't miss your G!

Get notified of new replies

To This Car Wants To Go Fast

Old 07-17-2015, 01:24 PM
Streetrod782
Burning Brakes

Received 187 Likes on 122 Posts
Default This Car Wants To Go Fast

I did look at the Hellcat but it's almost impossible to get one without paying 10k markup and they stopped making the 8 speed auto. Apparently ZF can't keep up with demand. I never used the back seat as I am single with no kids. Honestly the Challenger was one of the best looking cars I have ever owned but I was looking for something different. I think I will enjoy the C7 for a few years then see what else floats my boat. If they ever come out with a Hellcat Grand Cherokee I will be all over that and just scale back to one vehicle. The C7 at 12 seconds is nothing to sneeze at anyway!!!
Old 07-17-2015, 02:46 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by ratman6161
The quality of customer service on any car is highly dependent on the dealer. At least with Chevy, I've got many to choose from where with Infinity there are only two in the state of MN and both of those are an hour's drive away. Beyond that, its Des Moines IA. So if I liked one of the two in Minnesota it would be great...if an hour's drive was OK. But If I lived somewhere like Duluth and those dealers are three hours away???? Of course a Nissan dealer for my truck is an hours drive too but still a lot more Nissan Dealers to choose from. And of course I have a lot of Chevy dealer possibilities.

And, on doing your own oil change issue, if you don't trust a dealer with an oil change, how are you going to trust them with a major warranty repair if you need it? I took mine back to the same dealer I bought it from for the first oil change since I owned it (got it used in April) and used it as a way to see how their service department treated me. I liked what I saw and the way they treated me so I'll keep going back. But I would not want to wait for a major repair to find out weather or not I liked them
That's actually a good point about trying em out before major warranty work is required. I just hear stories about busted rocker panels, scratches ect and changing the oil is easy enough, I figured I'd wait until it needs attention beyond what I'm either technically or financially willing to do myself. So far the car has no issues, so fingers crossed.

Actually changing the oil last week kinda blew my mind. Laying under the C7 and looking at the underside is quite the sight. If anyone reading this has not done this yet, time to break out your jacking pucks and floor jack. It's cool. Anyway, we got 2 dealers that sell Corvettes in town, so I may have to get my nerve up and try one of my free oil changes.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:28 AM
sanantguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DeStreGa5
My last car was an '05 G35 6MT and it's a huge difference. I've also test driven a 2008 G37 with paddles and it didn't feel much quicker than mine. After getting the C7, I was blown away by the speed. I've already gotten a speeding ticket by accidently flooring it for a whole 2 seconds lol. 35-55 goes by very quickly, at least when I did it. I've floored it regularly in both cars and the g's are much more noticeable in the C7.

The funny thing is that the C7 is much louder and quiteter at the same time. The engine and exhaust just take over if you leave it in Sport, but the road/wind noise is much better when compared to my G35. I used to get very scared when getting up to 80+. It would shake a lot and I would hear a lot of wind noise. With the C7, it feels like I'm driving much slower than I really am. So yes, I think the performance and technology is much better than a G. You won't miss your G!

I have zero doubt the vette beats the G in the performance category. I rate a car by more than just that alone. Though my G has had no issue doing 120 as easily as it does 80 on the highway.

And actually the lower you are to the ground, the faster it seems your going.

Quick Reply: This Car Wants To Go Fast