C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Issue

Old 07-18-2015, 01:55 PM
CF Senior Member

Default Brake Issue

I washed my car the other night, including the wheels, and parked the car in the garage as usual. I went to back out today and the car wouldn't budge. I had this issue before on my C7 and my C6 when the rotors rust. The car was not driven before I washed it. The brakes were cool.

I had to actually to a burnout in reverse after trying to rock the car back and forth to free the brakes. The car hunched down and the rear wheels spun, pulling the fronts.

I took the car out for a drive and noticed considerable brake noise, which I associate with the rust wearing off. I had a brake pedal pulse too.

I've driven the car a bit more and done some higher speed braking to clean the rotors. The pedal pulse is pronounced and not dissipating.

What could be my issue? I just returned from a 7500 mile round trip of the U.S. and the brakes were flawless.

Thanks in advance.

Matt
Old 07-18-2015, 02:44 PM
rogergcam
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 70454 View Post
I washed my car the other night, including the wheels, and parked the car in the garage as usual. I went to back out today and the car wouldn't budge. I had this issue before on my C7 and my C6 when the rotors rust. The car was not driven before I washed it. The brakes were cool.

I had to actually to a burnout in reverse after trying to rock the car back and forth to free the brakes. The car hunched down and the rear wheels spun, pulling the fronts.

I took the car out for a drive and noticed considerable brake noise, which I associate with the rust wearing off. I had a brake pedal pulse too.

I've driven the car a bit more and done some higher speed braking to clean the rotors. The pedal pulse is pronounced and not dissipating.

What could be my issue? I just returned from a 7500 mile round trip of the U.S. and the brakes were flawless.

Thanks in advance.

Matt
I have had a similar problem after washing-but not a severe as you describe...but I had pedal pulsations start at about 5K miles...a first barely noticed it-by 5.5K it was bad-so I took it to the dealer-They replaced all 4 rotors-warped!
Good luck-George

Old 07-18-2015, 02:58 PM
JerryU
2017 GS, M7, 2.5LT
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,936 Posts

Thanks in advance.

Matt
Several folks reported issues after washing their car and putting it away wet! I always drive the car around the block to dry of the water on the brakes. Stops the rust on the rotors as well. Was that what happened?
Old 07-18-2015, 03:05 PM
GOLD72
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by JerryU View Post
Several folks reported issues after washing their car and putting it away wet! I always drive the car around the block to dry of the water on the brakes. Stops the rust on the rotors as well. Was that what happened?
Or use a leaf blower to dry the wheels and rotors after a wash job. Also a fast trip forward and backwards in the driveway with hard stops will help too.
Old 07-18-2015, 03:33 PM
CF Senior Member

I've washed Vettes before and once the brakes release there are no issues. My pedal is trash now under braking
Old 07-18-2015, 03:48 PM
juanvaldez
CF Senior Member

Take it out and do some hard stops from high speed. The rotors will clean up.
Old 07-18-2015, 03:53 PM
Black 03 Z06
CF Senior Member

I have had problems with this before on my C5 but never to the degree you are experiencing. I have a Master Blaster that I use to try to dry the brakes off but I always drive back and forth with the brakes on prior to letting it sit now.

Hope you get this sorted out. Frustrating I am sure. Good luck.
Old 07-18-2015, 04:07 PM
rcooper
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '15

Rust is a bitch. Get the wheels really dry before you park it. Leaf blower or a drive will do it for you.
Old 07-18-2015, 04:33 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Tech Contributor

Thanked 1,021 Times in 577 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by rcooper View Post
Rust is a bitch. Get the wheels really dry before you park it. Leaf blower or a drive will do it for you.
Yup, leaf blower and 1 quick trip around the block to be good and dry and without rust.

Elmer
Old 07-19-2015, 12:27 PM
CF Senior Member

After driving about 50 miles, the pedal feel is still shaky. The RF wheel seems to be the culprit. Note the markings on the rotor.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:20 PM
JerryU
2017 GS, M7, 2.5LT
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,936 Posts

After driving about 50 miles, the pedal feel is still shaky. The RF wheel seems to be the culprit. Note the markings on the rotor.
Would try bedding the brake pads and see it resolves the issue. Need about 5 or 6 consecutive hard stops from 60 mph to ~10 mph, don't stop and repeat. Then let them cool off by driving without stopping for ~10 minutes. Does require a place with little traffic to do but I had to do twice to stop squealing, which it did. Bedding procedure for my CarboTech 1521's was similar and just followed the manufacturers recommendations.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:18 PM
rcooper
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '15

I am going with bad pad. Do as above post says and I believe that you will be OK.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:45 AM
RichardT
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by rogergcam View Post
I have had a similar problem after washing-but not a severe as you describe...but I had pedal pulsations start at about 5K miles...a first barely noticed it-by 5.5K it was bad-so I took it to the dealer-They replaced all 4 rotors-warped!
Good luck-George

They have a problem with some rotors being inferior metal and warping easily. I constantly had a from left rotor warp. They re calibrated the electronic brakes, replaced back rotors ( WTF?), and surfaced rotors while on the car. 5-6 visits and they replaced front rotors. Looks like it worked.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake Issue

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: