Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 01:55 PM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Brake Issue

I washed my car the other night, including the wheels, and parked the car in the garage as usual. I went to back out today and the car wouldn't budge. I had this issue before on my C7 and my C6 when the rotors rust. The car was not driven before I washed it. The brakes were cool.

I had to actually to a burnout in reverse after trying to rock the car back and forth to free the brakes. The car hunched down and the rear wheels spun, pulling the fronts.

I took the car out for a drive and noticed considerable brake noise, which I associate with the rust wearing off. I had a brake pedal pulse too.

I've driven the car a bit more and done some higher speed braking to clean the rotors. The pedal pulse is pronounced and not dissipating.

What could be my issue? I just returned from a 7500 mile round trip of the U.S. and the brakes were flawless.

Thanks in advance.

Matt
Old 07-18-2015, 02:44 PM
rogergcam
Pro

Received 163 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by 70454
I washed my car the other night, including the wheels, and parked the car in the garage as usual. I went to back out today and the car wouldn't budge. I had this issue before on my C7 and my C6 when the rotors rust. The car was not driven before I washed it. The brakes were cool.

I had to actually to a burnout in reverse after trying to rock the car back and forth to free the brakes. The car hunched down and the rear wheels spun, pulling the fronts.

I took the car out for a drive and noticed considerable brake noise, which I associate with the rust wearing off. I had a brake pedal pulse too.

I've driven the car a bit more and done some higher speed braking to clean the rotors. The pedal pulse is pronounced and not dissipating.

What could be my issue? I just returned from a 7500 mile round trip of the U.S. and the brakes were flawless.

Thanks in advance.

Matt
I have had a similar problem after washing-but not a severe as you describe...but I had pedal pulsations start at about 5K miles...a first barely noticed it-by 5.5K it was bad-so I took it to the dealer-They replaced all 4 rotors-warped!
Good luck-George

Old 07-18-2015, 02:58 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

Thanks in advance.

Matt
Several folks reported issues after washing their car and putting it away wet! I always drive the car around the block to dry of the water on the brakes. Stops the rust on the rotors as well. Was that what happened?
Old 07-18-2015, 03:05 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Several folks reported issues after washing their car and putting it away wet! I always drive the car around the block to dry of the water on the brakes. Stops the rust on the rotors as well. Was that what happened?
Or use a leaf blower to dry the wheels and rotors after a wash job. Also a fast trip forward and backwards in the driveway with hard stops will help too.
Old 07-18-2015, 03:33 PM
Safety Car

I've washed Vettes before and once the brakes release there are no issues. My pedal is trash now under braking
Old 07-18-2015, 03:48 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

Take it out and do some hard stops from high speed. The rotors will clean up.
Old 07-18-2015, 03:53 PM
Black 03 Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 540 Likes on 390 Posts

I have had problems with this before on my C5 but never to the degree you are experiencing. I have a Master Blaster that I use to try to dry the brakes off but I always drive back and forth with the brakes on prior to letting it sit now.

Hope you get this sorted out. Frustrating I am sure. Good luck.
Old 07-18-2015, 04:07 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Rust is a bitch. Get the wheels really dry before you park it. Leaf blower or a drive will do it for you.
Old 07-18-2015, 04:33 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,821 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by rcooper
Rust is a bitch. Get the wheels really dry before you park it. Leaf blower or a drive will do it for you.
Yup, leaf blower and 1 quick trip around the block to be good and dry and without rust.

Elmer
Old 07-19-2015, 12:27 PM
Safety Car

After driving about 50 miles, the pedal feel is still shaky. The RF wheel seems to be the culprit. Note the markings on the rotor.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:20 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

After driving about 50 miles, the pedal feel is still shaky. The RF wheel seems to be the culprit. Note the markings on the rotor.
Would try bedding the brake pads and see it resolves the issue. Need about 5 or 6 consecutive hard stops from 60 mph to ~10 mph, don't stop and repeat. Then let them cool off by driving without stopping for ~10 minutes. Does require a place with little traffic to do but I had to do twice to stop squealing, which it did. Bedding procedure for my CarboTech 1521's was similar and just followed the manufacturers recommendations.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:18 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I am going with bad pad. Do as above post says and I believe that you will be OK.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:45 AM
RichardT
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rogergcam
I have had a similar problem after washing-but not a severe as you describe...but I had pedal pulsations start at about 5K miles...a first barely noticed it-by 5.5K it was bad-so I took it to the dealer-They replaced all 4 rotors-warped!
Good luck-George

They have a problem with some rotors being inferior metal and warping easily. I constantly had a from left rotor warp. They re calibrated the electronic brakes, replaced back rotors ( WTF?), and surfaced rotors while on the car. 5-6 visits and they replaced front rotors. Looks like it worked.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Issue

Quick Reply: Brake Issue