Run Flat? Firestone?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 11:16 PM
msaporetti
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Run Flat? Firestone?

Wow,

So I just hit 18000 miles in my 2014 Corvette. My tires are about 1000 miles past done. Tirerack is only showing Michelin and Bridgestone for the C7. After cross referencing the size I found a set of Firestone firehawk run flats for about $400 less than the Michelins. The only issue is on Tirerack it says for C6 only. I don't know why the tire wouldn't work on a C7.

Any ideas? Anyone running Firehawks on a C7? Since these wear out so quickly I wouldn't mind saving some money if the Firehawks are good.

Mike
Old 07-27-2015, 01:00 AM
sccaracer46
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by msaporetti
Wow,

So I just hit 18000 miles in my 2014 Corvette. My tires are about 1000 miles past done. Tirerack is only showing Michelin and Bridgestone for the C7. After cross referencing the size I found a set of Firestone firehawk run flats for about $400 less than the Michelins. The only issue is on Tirerack it says for C6 only. I don't know why the tire wouldn't work on a C7.

Any ideas? Anyone running Firehawks on a C7? Since these wear out so quickly I wouldn't mind saving some money if the Firehawks are good.

Mike

I just replaced my Michelin Run-flats with Bridgestone S-04 Pole Position tires. These are not run-flats! Read the reviews on the Tire rack website and I think you will find them a great replacement tire. Discount Tire has them on sale now for a great price. I have the non-Z51 which has 18' & 19" tires. Out the door price with mounting, balancing, replace TPMS valve stems, sales tax.......$888.10! I opted not to take the optional warranty which was $23/tire. These tires should be quitter and Tire Rack testing indicates they are excellent performance tires in all categories. Customer reviews also reflect the same!
Old 07-27-2015, 08:00 AM
pltmgr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 360 Likes on 216 Posts

My C7 only has 150 miles on it so I havent replaced the tires yet. Went to Firehawk run flats on my C5 and C6 and was happy both times.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:53 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

Wow,

Mike
I replaced the Goodyears in my C6 with Firestone run-flates, they were reported to be as good and were cheaper. I found in general they were about the same, except for cold weather performance, defiantly had less traction. The traction control was coming on at temps where it didn't with the Goodyears. That said, they were not as bad in cold temps as the Michelins. However doesn't get that cold that often in SC so I'll replace mine, when needed, with the OEM tire. Traction in warm weather is super.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:00 PM
jamze132
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I too am thinking about ditching the run-flats when the stocks wear out. However, I don't like the idea of being stranded in the event of a tire failure so I'll carry around what came with my M3, an ///M Mobility kit, which is basically fix-a-flat and an air compressor which will get you to a tire shop so you can do a $10 plug.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:09 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,821 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Wow,

Mike
Z51? If so, you are 20" - 19" Non Z51 you are 19" - 18". I want to get the A/S Michelin run flat but they don't make them in 20/19" sizes.

Pointing at a C6 (19/18") only, might be a size issue if the Z51 is involved. There are non-runflat tires in the A/S series of Michelin that you could use but I'm with you on replacing a run flat with another run flat.

Elmer
Old 07-27-2015, 03:33 PM
RandyC7
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2014 Z51 convertible with every option. I swapped out the OEM Micheline summer run flats for the Micheline Pilotsport A/S 3's which were highly rated. The car rides much better!!! It's not a run flat so I carry a small compressor and a repair kit, plus I have a wheel/tire warranty and AAA in case of problems.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:13 PM
Dr Jay
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced my OEM tires on my C6 with Firehawks and found them to be very satisfactory. If you have a non-Z51 C7, they should do just fine
Old 07-27-2015, 04:23 PM
gurneyeagle
Burning Brakes

Received 630 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyC7
I have a 2014 Z51 convertible with every option. I swapped out the OEM Micheline summer run flats for the Micheline Pilotsport A/S 3's which were highly rated. The car rides much better!!! It's not a run flat so I carry a small compressor and a repair kit, plus I have a wheel/tire warranty and AAA in case of problems.

I'm on my third car without a spare, and carry the Slime compressor kit.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/14254126?w...493672&veh=sem
Old 07-28-2015, 11:42 AM
msaporetti
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Thanks

I appreciate the input. I guess I've been buying cheap tires too long for my other cars. I too had considered going non run flat but they have saved me a tow on three occasions. In fact Run Flat's saved my butt on one of those occasions while rolling at twice the State's recommended speed.

I use my Corvette's for commuting to work on back roads and there are parts of the road(sans traffic)where I can add velocity to my morning Red Bull.

Glad to see Michelin got into the game on the C7. Goodyear has owned Corvette for a long time. Would be nice if there was a price and product war between the brands for us consumers. I remember my first Corvette(1981) had Goodyear Eagle GT's. At that time those tires were very advanced and super soft compound. I tried BFG's once and took them back to the tire shop for the Eagles.

All in all $1400 to keep my car to spec and my foolish middle age buttocks safe ain't that bad of a deal...

msaporetti

Get notified of new replies

To Run Flat? Firestone?

Quick Reply: Run Flat? Firestone?