Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver's seat protection

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 12:08 PM
Pro

Received 222 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Driver's seat protection

So I noticed that on all of my performance cars, the left side bolster on the driver's seat tends to show premature wear. This is likely because of the way I get into and out of the cars, and the fact that most of my dress slacks (and dockers) have a button closure on the left rear pocket that scrapes the bolster as I get into the car.

So, as I await my Napa GT seats and my 2016, I am wondering what, if anything, I can do to prevent or minimize wear; I am sure that these bolsters will project as much or more than my previous cars. Aside from the obvious and impractical solution of removing the buttons from all of my slacks or going to PT to change the way that I get into or out of cars....are there any good suggestions out there for bolster protection? I hate the idea of seat covers.....especially when I just need to protect a 4" wide and maybe 8" long stretch of bolster....but I am open to suggestions.....
Old 08-10-2015, 12:48 PM
jcthorne
Drifting

Received 425 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by 6104696
So I noticed that on all of my performance cars, the left side bolster on the driver's seat tends to show premature wear. This is likely because of the way I get into and out of the cars, and the fact that most of my dress slacks (and dockers) have a button closure on the left rear pocket that scrapes the bolster as I get into the car.

So, as I await my Napa GT seats and my 2016, I am wondering what, if anything, I can do to prevent or minimize wear; I am sure that these bolsters will project as much or more than my previous cars. Aside from the obvious and impractical solution of removing the buttons from all of my slacks or going to PT to change the way that I get into or out of cars....are there any good suggestions out there for bolster protection? I hate the idea of seat covers.....especially when I just need to protect a 4" wide and maybe 8" long stretch of bolster....but I am open to suggestions.....
Learn how to enter and exit a supercar correctly. You do NOT put one leg in first and slide your butt down the seat bolster. Put your butt in first and then swing your legs in one at a time. No pt required and no wear on the seat bolsters. No cost.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:16 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

R

FWIW, I have my exit set as high as possible. Driving position lowers and goes forward while the steering wheel lowers. In two years no excess wear on my Kalahai seats. Recently went to a Civil War reenactment. Thought buttons went out in the 1870's!

Last edited by JerryU; 08-10-2015 at 01:20 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:22 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 935 Likes on 489 Posts
Tech Contributor

I have been using an AIRES SEAT DEFENDER for a few years when I'm just doing daily errands, they go on and off in 10 secs and are rubberized and let you turn in the seat and they still grab. The bath towel ones don't so that. this stays where you want it...
Old 08-10-2015, 03:25 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by jcthorne
Learn how to enter and exit a supercar correctly. You do NOT put one leg in first and slide your butt down the seat bolster. Put your butt in first and then swing your legs in one at a time. No pt required and no wear on the seat bolsters. No cost.

LOL. I have learned two things from this; first, my mustang GT's have all apparently been supercars and, second, I have spent the last 35 years getting into and out of my supercars incorrectly.

Sadly, I am more likely to get furry zebra print seat covers than I am to change my ingress/egress method. Maybe a beaded seatback cover. Then I could use the 'vette as an Uber car (as opposed to a supercar).
Old 08-10-2015, 03:35 PM
jcthorne
Drifting

LOL. I have learned two things from this; first, my mustang GT's have all apparently been supercars and, second, I have spent the last 35 years getting into and out of my supercars incorrectly.

Sadly, I am more likely to get furry zebra print seat covers than I am to change my ingress/egress method. Maybe a beaded seatback cover. Then I could use the 'vette as an Uber car (as opposed to a supercar).
Well you asked and a straightforward no cost answer was given. I did not say it would not work for other cars, but most supercars are very low ground clearance and very low roof lines which leads to the different entry method.

I was being practical and offering assistance. You seem to need to put other down as idiots who could not comprehend. I assure you I have significant seat time in super cars from both sides of the pond. And I instruct folks how to get in mine if they ask to sit in the car.

10 year old leather sparco seats in my just sold Ford GT looked like new. No bolster wear. Been there and done that. Suit yourself.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:42 PM
alienranch
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

1. Corvette is not a supercar. It's flat-out awesome and one hell of a sport's car. But a supercar, it is not.
2. jcthorne's entry/exit is 100% correct to minimize any premature wear on the side bolsters. For cars even lower than ours, you simply don't have a choice but to enter/exit this way due to the height.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:00 PM
Pro

Well you asked and a straightforward no cost answer was given. I did not say it would not work for other cars, but most supercars are very low ground clearance and very low roof lines which leads to the different entry method.

I was being practical and offering assistance. You seem to need to put other down as idiots who could not comprehend. I assure you I have significant seat time in super cars from both sides of the pond. And I instruct folks how to get in mine if they ask to sit in the car.

10 year old leather sparco seats in my just sold Ford GT looked like new. No bolster wear. Been there and done that. Suit yourself.
Lighten up, buddy; I was joking. Your comments are appreciated and undoubtedly correct, but my point is that I am an old dog and unlikely to learn new tricks after getting in and out of performance cars the same way for a long friggin time.

If my post implied in any way that I thought that you are an idiot, then I sincerely apologize.

Old 08-10-2015, 04:12 PM
jcthorne
Drifting

Apology accepted. Perhaps I mistook your intended response. Internet is bad that way without facial expression or tone.

I have nothing further to offer in the way of help with your issue.

I had not intended to start the old 'what is a supercar?' debate but it seems GM believes its mid engine, weight balanced, ultra high performance, track record setting Z06 is just that. A Supercar. Clearly stated in the sales literature and web site. When I was driving my Ford GT, I likely would have disagreed. I no longer do. Funny how life has a way of changing ones perspectives.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:21 PM
Pro

Apology accepted. Perhaps I mistook your intended response. Internet is bad that way without facial expression or tone.

I had not intended to start the old 'what is a supercar?' debate but it seems GM believes its mid engine, weight balanced, ultra high performance, track record setting Z06 is just that. A Supercar. Clearly stated in the sales literature and web site. When I was driving my Ford GT, I likely would have disagreed. I no longer do. Funny how life has a way of changing ones perspectives.

Sarcasm travels poorly on the web; I know this but sometimes forget it.

I didn't realize that there was a "what is a supercar" debate....but FWIW I agree with you that the z06 meets all the supposed supercar criteria (except the price). Every car magazine that has tested the Z06 has put it's performance squarely in supercar territory, favorably comparing it to Ferarris and Lambos and even...dare I say it....McLarens.

My Mustang GT....not so much....except for the supercar bolster wear
Old 08-10-2015, 04:32 PM
alienranch
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Agreed with the Z06 probably being considered a supercar, but we're in the C7 General (not Z06) section, so the statement was that a Corvette (not Z06) is not really a supercar. Either way, I think you're spot on with your suggestion.

Get notified of new replies

To Driver's seat protection

Quick Reply: Driver's seat protection