Sponsored by:

Creaking roof issue has a simple official fix

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 10:16 AM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

Default Creaking roof issue has a simple official fix

Yesterday I had my 2016 Z06 at the dealer to fix the driver seat ventilation, which wasn't working. (It turned out to be an easy fix: the fan connector inside the seat was not properly connected.)

I also mentioned to the dealer that the roof panel had a tiny bit of creaking -- actually sounded more like a barely-audible tapping noise.

I have read on these forums that several people have experienced the same thing.

The dealer said there was an official notification about the issue and the fix. It turns out that the problem was a simple washer. The washer is supposed to have a bend to it, I guess so that it acts like a spring, but the installed washer was flat.

The tech showed me the washer he removed and one of the proper washers with the bend. The washers were really identical, except for the bend.

Now the creaking noise is completely gone, thanks to the simple fix.

I know there have been several different solutions mentioned here on the forums, but I thought you all would want to hear the official fix -- and that it indeed solves the problem. So if you have your C7 at the dealer, have them check it out and install the proper washer if yours is flat.
The following 3 users liked this post by Speednet:
C7Joy (09-18-2015), pat321 (09-26-2015), red1996lt4 (10-09-2015)
Old 08-19-2015, 10:20 AM
Wideout
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Thanks for this. I'll ask about it next time I get an oil change.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:23 AM
scottiekay
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Speednet
Yesterday I had my 2016 Z06 at the dealer to fix the driver seat ventilation, which wasn't working. (It turned out to be an easy fix: the fan connector inside the seat was not properly connected.)

I also mentioned to the dealer that the roof panel had a tiny bit of creaking -- actually sounded more like a barely-audible tapping noise.

I have read on these forums that several people have experienced the same thing.

The dealer said there was an official notification about the issue and the fix. It turns out that the problem was a simple washer. The washer is supposed to have a bend to it, I guess so that it acts like a spring, but the installed washer was flat.

The tech showed me the washer he removed and one of the proper washers with the bend. The washers were really identical, except for the bend.

I know there have been several different solutions mentioned here on the forums, but I thought you all would want to hear the official fix -- and that it indeed solves the problem. So if you have your C7 at the dealer, have them check it out and install the proper washer if yours is flat.

Do you have a Convertible or Coup?
Old 08-19-2015, 10:26 AM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by scottiekay
Do you have a Convertible or Coup?
I am talking about the coupe removable roof panel.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:27 AM
Richard Ames
Drifting

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

Thank You for sharing. Will get it checked at next oil change.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:31 AM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

Interesting. My creaking stopped with some silicone grease but I'd love a cleaner and more permanent solution.
The following users liked this post:
C82LT (05-07-2019)
Old 08-19-2015, 10:43 AM
funz06
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

I get the noise by in the area of both front pins and the rear latch------where exactly was your washer that was replaced? Sorry to bother you, but my dealer is real small, and I am pretty sure they didn't get this update (they never got the ones about changing the oil at 500 miles or to use only the Mobile 1). Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
Marc SS (12-10-2015)
Old 08-19-2015, 10:48 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

Just checked the 2014 Service Manual for the removable roof. Looked for a washer. None shown, bolts, nuts but no washer. Was it on the movable locking handle that may not be shown since it's replaced as a unit?
Old 08-19-2015, 10:59 AM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

Can you post a photo of the washer, and placement of the washer. It will help and assist many CF members wantring to make the repair.

Can you post a photo of the washer and area for placement. It will help many CF members who want o make the repair.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:15 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Mine was quiet up until this year about 2500 miles then it only made a slight noise when the car was cold.

I lubed the seals and tightened the rear clamp that stopped the noise, I do think most tops would stop making noise by tightening the rear clamp.

I would tighten the rear clamp before doing anything else, you do not need to remove the roof panel to tighten this clamp but you will need a small allen wrench 15/64 do not move the hook without turning out the allen screw.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:46 PM
alienranch
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Old 08-19-2015, 01:08 PM
Algiers
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting. I'll have to check with my dealership because so far I've tried every little trick on here and brought it them several times with no luck. Mine is OK except when it's parked in the sun. Then it sounds like someone is hitting the roof and is extremely obnoxious.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:26 PM
proeagles
Melting Slicks

Received 2,157 Likes on 897 Posts

Where is this magic washer? There are no washers involved in the removal and replacement of the roof.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:19 PM
mike96ss
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Algiers
Interesting. I'll have to check with my dealership because so far I've tried every little trick on here and brought it them several times with no luck. Mine is OK except when it's parked in the sun. Then it sounds like someone is hitting the roof and is extremely obnoxious.
Same here. Tried all the different fixes. Better, but still makes the noise especially after sitting in the sun. Didn't want to waste a day at the Dealer and not get it fixed. Hopefully we can get some clarity on exactly what washer(s) needs replacement here....
Old 08-19-2015, 02:47 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

When new mine had slight pops sporadically when hitting uneven pavement, but the noise disappeared after a few weeks. I hesitated to do anything at all to the top since all was well, but lubed the rubber with silicone grease as matter of routine maintenance about two months ago. Still haven't noticed any noises, even after being parked in the summer sun. The car was new in February and most driving was done in temps 40-60° for about a month, so perhaps colder weather affects mine. That won't be determined for another three months or so in S. LA.
Old 08-19-2015, 03:10 PM
fredmills
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Again. Where is the washer. I have a 2014. No washer but (2) grommets (shims), Part #22994154 that were squashed. Wonder if the washer on 2016 takes the place of this.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:18 PM
MWAZ
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Get notified of new replies

To Creaking roof issue has a simple official fix

Old 08-19-2015, 04:31 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

In this episode, "The Case of the Missing Wave Washer," Sherlock zeroes in on his quarry.

Last edited by iclick; 08-19-2015 at 04:39 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:48 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Default Mmmmm....

So, it seems the washer has the bends.....
Old 08-19-2015, 05:33 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

I feel terrible about this, but I didn't see where he put the washer! I just asked to see what he did and he showed me the old and new washers.

Maybe I'll follow up with the dealer to ask them where the washers go. I'll post again once I have more info.

With the one comment about their dealer being small, since this is an official notification from GM, I'm sure they could look it up in their system.

Edit: My service guy won't be back in until tomorrow (Thursday), so that's the earliest I'll have an answer.

Quick Reply: Creaking roof issue has a simple official fix