Sponsored by:

Key FOB protector?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 09:36 AM
alienranch
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Haven't had any scratches yet on mine with other metal objects in my pocket. I face the buttons towards my leg so bumping into something doesn't depress a button. Lucky so far I guess.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:38 AM
docprego
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyA221
Here's mine

eBay item#221390785353
Leather Keyfob Holder Case Chain Cover fit For CADILLAC SEDAN Escalade ESV 081B
Have you received this yet? If so please post some pics.

Thank you
Old 08-20-2015, 09:40 AM
docprego
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by alienranch
Haven't had any scratches yet on mine with other metal objects in my pocket. I face the buttons towards my leg so bumping into something doesn't depress a button. Lucky so far I guess.
Mine really aren't scratches, they are areas on the face surrounding the buttons where the black plastic has some faint wear marks. I'm fairly convinced I got it this way at delivery.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:51 AM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Rooster OG
Maybe one of these?

http://keywraps.com/products/4
I've used one of these for years (got it for my C6 fob and it works for the C7 fob too). I was always setting off the alarm (or opening the hatch) when I had my fob in my pocket, even with one of the silicone covers on. Since I got the keywrap I have yet to set of the alarm.
Only problem is the fob is covered with a clear plastic cover under the flap thingie) and that has to be cleaned in the inside every so often.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:45 PM
orwollma
Burning Brakes

Received 509 Likes on 313 Posts

Here's the one I've been using from Remote Totes.

Extra-large in Red, $12.99 + $3.00 S&H
Old 08-20-2015, 08:57 PM
Skidplate
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 207 Likes on 122 Posts

The fob fits perfectly in the right front coin pocket found on most jeans.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:18 AM
James Bertuca
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Skidplate
The fob fits perfectly in the right front coin pocket found on most jeans.
That's great if you wear jeans, myself my last pair of jeans I had on was 7 years ago when I was working for a living.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:45 AM
DUPSON
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My C7 is Torch Red and I got this case from Amazon . It is made of abs plastic and has not scratched with all the crap I carry in my pocket. No negative comments about my home made fob that I made from paracord. I also use the jeans watch pocket for the fob if I take my "decoration" off. Works very well there.
Attached Images  

Last edited by DUPSON; 08-21-2015 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:30 AM
Skidplate
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 207 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by James Bertuca
That's great if you wear jeans, myself my last pair of jeans I had on was 7 years ago when I was working for a living.
That's all I wear since retiring.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:56 PM
docprego
Burning Brakes

Update: I received my key fob protector I ordered from Amazon today. I'm very impressed with it. I didn't expect much from a piece of soft silicone but this definitely goes above and beyond my expectations.

-Even though it was advertised for specific Cadillac models, the fob fits the protector perfectly. It even has a circular cutout on the rear to display the C7 flags.
-The silicone is very soft but once placed on the fob fits perfectly and doesn't feel loose at all.
-The silicone is also textured which gives the protector a more sophisticated air than smooth silicone would have.
-The areas over the buttons have embossed symbols to match the function of each button
-It just looks great overall.

I ended up buying it on Amazon for $10.99 shipped free via Prime. I didn't want to risk buying one from another country and end up and disliking it, even though they were a few bucks cheaper.

Last edited by docprego; 09-06-2015 at 08:00 PM.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:05 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

The case I bought in walmart used to be a case for an I pod it was red and black nylon and had a nice feel to it.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:38 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,657 Likes on 6,653 Posts

Originally Posted by docprego
Update: I received my key fob protector I ordered from Amazon today. I'm very impressed with it. I didn't expect much from a piece of soft silicone but this definitely goes above and beyond my expectations.

-Even though it was advertised for specific Cadillac models, the fob fits the protector perfectly. It even has a circular cutout on the rear to display the C7 flags.
-The silicone is very soft but once placed on the fob fits perfectly and doesn't feel loose at all.
-The silicone is also textured which gives the protector a more sophisticated air than smooth silicone would have.
-The areas over the buttons have embossed symbols to match the function of each button

I ended up buying it on Amazon for $10.99 shipped free via Prime. I didn't want to risk buying one from another country and end up and disliking it, even though they were a few bucks cheaper.

Thanks, great feedback and for those with automatic's (has the remote start button, which M7 folks don't) it looks like an excellent choice. Keeps the buttons clean as well, compared to mine that just has an opening around the buttons. Wonder why it's not advertised for Vettes?
It still has the feature that made me get mine, it protects the removable key from inadvertently being pulled out of the FOB. A forum poster said they lost their FOB and found the removable key on their key ring with other keys but no FOB! They had to buy a new FOB-not cheap! That happened to me before I bought my silicone cover but was fortunate the FOB was still in my jeans pocket! Both my keys release very easily from the FOB compared to my C6 where it was hard to remove-in fact too easily. Now the silicone holds them together!

Last edited by JerryU; 09-06-2015 at 10:47 PM.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:20 PM
Tierraman
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I cannot get used to carrying the key fob. I inadvertently leave it in the center compartment all the time. Then the car barks at me when I close the door leaving it behind inside. The reason I keep putting it in the center compartment is that I am concerned that I will damage it in my pocket among my other keys and various items I carry. It already has a few wear marks on the surface which I realize mean absolutely nothing but bug me.

Is there a nice protector available for the key fob, something along the lines of a phone case? Searched eBay and Amazon and didn't see much.

Thanks
I say leave it as-is and enjoy! This fob is more durable than you may think and even if it does start looking "used", you can always purchase another. Personally I like the way it feels in my hand; it's like a piece of jewelry, and the slim design fits perfectly in a pocket. Protectors are more bulky and hide the key's beauty... Just my 2c...
Old 09-06-2015, 11:38 PM
kevincol
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

Thanks for posting this Doc. Is it "sticky" when coming in an out of your pocket or smooth?
Old 09-07-2015, 12:06 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,192 Likes on 2,681 Posts

Originally Posted by kevincol
Thanks for posting this Doc. Is it "sticky" when coming in an out of your pocket or smooth?
The dirtier the silicone is, the less sticky it will be. Doesn't matter what the silicone is supposed to be or do, that's just the way it is.
Old 09-07-2015, 01:17 AM
docprego
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kevincol
It's not smooth because it's textured. I put it in various pockets and pulled it out without issue. I feel a bit of drag as I remove it but nothing excessive.
Old 09-07-2015, 01:20 AM
docprego
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JerryU
Thanks, great feedback and for those with automatic's (has the remote start button, which M7 folks don't) it looks like an excellent choice. Keeps the buttons clean as well, compared to mine that just has an opening around the buttons. Wonder why it's not advertised for Vettes?
It still has the feature that made me get mine, it protects the removable key from inadvertently being pulled out of the FOB. A forum poster said they lost their FOB and found the removable key on their key ring with other keys but no FOB! They had to buy a new FOB-not cheap! That happened to me before I bought my silicone cover but was fortunate the FOB was still in my jeans pocket! Both my keys release very easily from the FOB compared to my C6 where it was hard to remove-in fact too easily. Now the silicone holds them together!
It is curious why they don't advertise it for our car. Two of the reviews are actually from C7 owners.

Amazon.com: iJDMTOY Soft Silicone Remote Smart Key Holder Fob For Cadillac Escalade CTS SRX, etc: Automotive Amazon.com: iJDMTOY Soft Silicone Remote Smart Key Holder Fob For Cadillac Escalade CTS SRX, etc: Automotive

Get notified of new replies

To Key FOB protector?

Old 09-07-2015, 07:35 PM
460HP-YLO-JAKT
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

It is curious why they don't advertise it for our car. Two of the reviews are actually from C7 owners.

Amazon.com: iJDMTOY Soft Silicone Remote Smart Key Holder Fob For Cadillac Escalade CTS SRX, etc: Automotive
Thanks for posting link.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:47 PM
Boiler_81
Drifting

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Tierraman
I say leave it as-is and enjoy! This fob is more durable than you may think and even if it does start looking "used", you can always purchase another. Personally I like the way it feels in my hand; it's like a piece of jewelry, and the slim design fits perfectly in a pocket. Protectors are more bulky and hide the key's beauty... Just my 2c...
Old 11-07-2017, 10:47 PM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

Sorry for reviving the thread but it may help some folks out. Has anyone found a decent leather cover for the FOB not already in this thread? I need one that captures the FOB and key portion (metal end with key) as I’ve had the two pieces separate in my pocket. I’ve Googled my a$$ off but can’t find anything nice. I have a silicone version but is cheap and falling apart and I’m looking for something better.

Cheers!

Quick Reply: Key FOB protector?