Sponsored by:

Ridiculous OnStar Invoice Prices

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 12:42 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,261 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by Cliff358
OK, this might be a stupid question but I'll ask it anyway. Will my phone still work through my car after my trial Onstar expires? I've never owned a car with Onstar or had a car that the phone would connect to so I don't really understand how all this works. I don't really see any reason to keep Onstar but I like using my car connection for my phone calls.
yes your phone will work...I've never used OnStar and declined the trial in my c7...
Old 08-24-2015, 01:27 PM
Roadrogue
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by jcthorne
The onstar 4GLTE connection for wifi is AT&T. It will work as well as AT&Ts network in the area. It does have a better antenna and stronger transmitter than your cell phone though.
Thanks for the info. I found that info on their website, too. Sounds like what I need. The Onstar rep told me I had to buy a "package" to get the data. I said that I had the basic package thru GM but she said no. I'm not sure she is correct but didn't follow up any further.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:35 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,251 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by defaria
So many things wrong here. Who said I was wound up? You did. Well, you're wrong. I'm not wound up - just speaking my mind... kinda like... well YOU!

Did I say there was a problem? No I didn't. Yet another of your incorrect assumptions? This has nothing to do with being in America Jimmy. Do you think that all of those people who question us buying a Corvette are wound up with problems? No, they are simply stating their opinion, like you are doing and like I'm doing. Grow up!
Do me a favor...don't tell me to GROW UP...it's rude and petty.

This is the 43rd post in this thread, you've responded 8 times so I'm pretty certain that we all got YOUR opinion, oh, let's say, the first 5 times you stated it. If that's not wound up, then I apologize.

Jimmy

PS. I don't have OnStar activated on either of my GM cars, but for the folks that want it, good for them. And to argue that the "accident detection" is not useful since you (I guess) don't have accidents is like saying a spare tire is not useful since you never have a flat. Some folks like the security....

Last edited by jimmyb; 08-24-2015 at 01:39 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:42 PM
slownlo
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aj98
I just have the traffic/weather package. When you get near renewal, Google around for the lowest going price. They didn't offer me the lowest but when I said I had seen x$ Renewals earlier in the day, they matched it.

How much does the weather / traffic package go for?

I was bummed the day i realized the weather didnt work, didnt realized it was connected to onstar
Old 08-24-2015, 08:01 PM
Tenchi
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by slownlo
How much does the weather / traffic package go for?

I was bummed the day i realized the weather didnt work, didnt realized it was connected to onstar
I thought that came from SiriusXM???
Old 08-24-2015, 08:02 PM
Tenchi
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Demon
We have On Star on all three of our cars, and we use the phone and directions options very often. Of course it is just a convenience/insurance type thing but since we are in our 60's and can afford it we will use it. Hell, we have insurance on everything to include our cars, refrigerators, computers, home, freezers, TV's, computers, etc. We do not need complications at this stage of our life. And, most importantly we always negotiate a fair price with On Star and have never had a problem with them in umpteen years. To each his own.
OK so they do negotiate? I read other members saying they will not.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:14 PM
Richard Ames
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 164 Posts

OnStar accident detection? Considering I've never in my entire life needed it I think I'll skip it.

Guy with the funny story... Pick up your phone and say "OK Google - Navigate to ". Another problem solved!

Hope you did not Hex yourself be extra careful.

I like Onstar personally. You pay a lot for the car and then turn into penny pinchers? Oxymoron to me.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:45 PM
alamo1974
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Red-C6 of Jax
DO NOT give them your credit card number, ask for an invoice and pay by check.
I did that and they would not invoice me, so I told them no thanks.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:32 PM
Sky High
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by not08crmanymore
Don't need big brother watching.
Stop with that nonsense. Nobody is watching you and nobody cares what you do when you drive your car.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:37 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,261 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by Sky High
Stop with that nonsense. Nobody is watching you and nobody cares what you do when you drive your car.

Well maybe or maybe not....I had my 2012 Corvette OnStar tell me that they detected sudden acceleration and was I ok...(I was not subscribed)

Unless you unplug it they know where you are....

queue twilight zone music and tin foil hats...
Old 08-24-2015, 10:38 PM
hdwideglide
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Ames
Hope you did not Hex yourself be extra careful.

I like Onstar personally. You pay a lot for the car and then turn into penny pinchers? Oxymoron to me.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:43 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 166 Likes on 130 Posts

I had it for the first 3-5 years of my GM cars. I never really used it. An accident big enough to cause me not to be able to use my cell phone might also kill the battery anyway. If someone stole my car, I'm hoping they keep it to be honest.

As far as XM goes it is junk especially the navigation. It depends on signals from XM cars to determine red, yellow or green. Mine would always turn red when I was in the problem area. XM quality is really junk. So GM would like for you to buy about $30-40 a month in services just to enjoy your car while they collect data on your driving that they sell. I have two Chrysler cars and besides the weather feature, I really couldn't care about it. It is nice to see storms in your path but isn't worth $15 a month.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:44 PM
0MarylandSpeed
Former Vendor

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

OnStar was innovative service 20 years ago or whatever. However with modern smart phones, it is an expensive, and outdated service. One of the reasons GM as so far behind on implementing nav systems and blutetooth was trying to protect on star revenue.

Look at it feature by feature and see how useless this is...

- Turn by Turn directions? Car has a Nav system and so does phone.
- 4G LTE- Already have it in my phone as a hotspot
- Make phone calls- I have a cell phone with Bluetooth
- Calls you if you crash. Other automakers have 911 assistance that calls 911 if airbags deploy for free.

The only remotely useful feature is using the app to remotely unlock and start the car out of range. Not really worth the cost of the service.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:59 PM
BIC
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadrogue
Thanks for the info. I found that info on their website, too. Sounds like what I need. The Onstar rep told me I had to buy a "package" to get the data. I said that I had the basic package thru GM but she said no. I'm not sure she is correct but didn't follow up any further.
You can buy data as a standalone. $10 per GB per month, if memory serves me correctly. Not a bad deal.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:26 PM
Phantomvette
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No way, I called about tracking the car 3 times and got 3 different answers that were totally different even after they reseached it. This was during the shipping of my car. 1. Yes we can but I cannot do it now. 2. No we can't do that. 3. No we don't do that and those people that told you we can no longer work here due to that (no names were involved at all). Unless it is some basic/standard question, it is like calling India for technical info where you go around and around. Maybe 75.00 at best just for internet and a few other features. : nopity
Old 08-24-2015, 11:53 PM
Cliff358
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hawkgfr
yes your phone will work...I've never used OnStar and declined the trial in my c7...
Thanks for the response. I wasn't planning on renewing Onstar when my trial ends in October. Still on the fence with Sirius.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:55 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 9,026 Likes on 5,379 Posts

I keep wondering, what does OnStar give me that my Android phone doesn't already do better?
Automatic crash notification to the authorities. Depending on where you live OnStar has a lot further reach than the typical handheld phone. You can be in a No Service area with your handheld while OnStar is communicating with the nearest cell tower. In rural areas where there aren't a lot of people there are strong possibilities you can be in a large No Service zone. In high population areas there are still areas where there are No Service zones due to communities forbidding cell towers or geographic features. I purchase the Safe and Sound plan. It is like purchasing an insurance policy you don't need it until you need it.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Ridiculous OnStar Invoice Prices

Old 08-25-2015, 02:06 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 9,026 Likes on 5,379 Posts

Originally Posted by MarylandSpeed
OnStar was innovative service 20 years ago or whatever. However with modern smart phones, it is an expensive, and outdated service. One of the reasons GM as so far behind on implementing nav systems and blutetooth was trying to protect on star revenue.

Look at it feature by feature and see how useless this is...

- Turn by Turn directions? Car has a Nav system and so does phone.

That is why you don't buy that plan although the OnStar feature has the benefit of actually talking to somebody. When it was active on my 08 Malibu the guy I was talking to about where something was located he said you should be able to see it from where you are and stayed with me until I drove a few blocks further and was able to see where i was going.
- 4G LTE- Already have it in my phone as a hotspot
Not every phone has this and it isn't such a great feature on the phone or the car unless you are stopped.

- Make phone calls- I have a cell phone with Bluetooth

Except when your Bluetooth enabled phone is in a No Service area due to its inadequate antenna. You must have experienced dropped calls while traveling in a vehicle. You get a lot fewer dropped calls with OnStar.

- Calls you if you crash. Other automakers have 911 assistance that calls 911 if airbags deploy for free.

Not sure which ones do. It is interesting OnStar is actually a feature on some non GM cars. But that is neither here or there, your argument that others offer it for free if you have a GM car and want automatic crash notification isn't much benefit. Sort of sounds like you are in a snit.

The only remotely useful feature is using the app to remotely unlock and start the car out of range. Not really worth the cost of the service.
Bill
Old 08-25-2015, 05:26 AM
jcthorne
Drifting

Received 461 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by Tenchi
I thought that came from SiriusXM???
Weather and traffic does come from XM and its an added option in addition to the music subscription. About $10 a month. Also cannot be purchased without a music sub so it will quit working when my free one year sub runs out.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:55 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,945 Likes on 4,820 Posts

A lot better ways to waste my money than paying for ONSTAR.

Quick Reply: Ridiculous OnStar Invoice Prices