Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the C7 the best Sports Car under $80K

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 03:32 PM
RonnieC6Z
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 230 Posts

I have owned many of both. 2 C4's, 3 C5's and 5 C6's. Plus 911's, 2 Ferraris' a Viper (worlds biggest piece of junk), 300ZX, and so many more. (one car at a time, daily drivers, no track). I currently own a 2013 Boxster S, PDK gear box. I have test driven the new 911S and 9114S, and much prefer the Boxster S. Better handling and more fun.
My Boxster is very well equipped with all of the performance options and stickered for 85K. I have 44K miles on it. Great car with zero problems.
I now have a 2016 Sting Ray convertible, Z51, 3LT, manual tranny on order. Sticker is $81,615.00. I have test driven the C7 and really love it...far more than any previous generation Vette. My interior on the Boxster S is black, as is on the C7. I much prefer the C7 interior. Why am I trading the Boxster S for the C7? First of all, I dearly miss a manual gear box. The PDK is as good as a duel clutch tranny gets, and I always use the paddles. But it is boring. Secondly, The fun of the Boxster S, just as the fun of my previous 911's wears off. The fun of the Vette never did wear off. Lastly, the Porsche is almost out of warranty and the cost of maintenance for a Porsche is nuts compared to a Vette. For a daily driver on the freeways and over the canyons of So Cal, both cars are great. And both cars are very well made and are of high quality. But, to me, the Vette is more fun. And the C7, being less expensive than any equally equipped Porsche, is equal to any Porsche costing under 150K. For 81K, there is not another car on the planet that can compete with the C7 when it comes to fun, value, quality and cost of maintenance.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:13 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret
I find myself getting wound up in statistics and on paper performance measures when I compare cars. Aside from actually spending time driving each car, it's all we have to measure each vehicle.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, from a practical standpoint, all these figures (while making one feel good about their purchase) have little practical use in the everyday world. Whether a car can go 0-60 in 3.7 or 5.0 seconds, it is unlikely those limits will be tested by the average driver unless one is willing to gamble their drivers license away at every stoplight.

Certainly if one buys the car to drive competitively, then all those numbers actually mean something. Going for a cruise, even one with some spirited driving included, the bleeding edge number never come into focus.

As an aside, in reading about the Cayman, many of the Porsche engineers will hint that the Cayman is probably a better overall car than the 911 and if given the same power plant as the 911 (which is not likely to happen), would surpass it's big brother on the track.

So, is,the 991S with it's closer to C7 numbers (which for all practical purposes are there to make one feel better about how their car looks on paper) actually necessary when a Cayman S (or even the base Cayman) can give you the same level of practical performance on the street (both cars provide more than you'll likely ever need or use).

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/f...n-the-911.html

It is nice to know you have all the extra HP and torque, but I can't put half pedal on my C7 before I'm 15+MPH over the limit and drawing unwanted attention to myself.
Great points and I totally agree about excess HP that most people don't need or even use. I sold a 2013 Hyundai Sonata Ltd with a 2.0L Turbo engine. Even though it was a Huyndai the power that the 2.0T delivered was awesome. It was very quick.

FYI. On my 2014 Cayman I got 7.5% off the MSRP from my dealer in Tucson, AZ. Paid $200 to have it shipped from Tucson to Las Cruces, NM via I-10. The car has been flawless in every since of the word.

Even though it is a 2014 Cayman base, the car is excellent in performance and the gas mileage is fantastic also. I have the sport mode, and sport plus and the auto PDK tranny. Interior is much roomier than the C7.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:40 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by nmvettec7
Interior is much roomier than the C7.
Another reason why I started looking at Porsche.

I dont care what the interior measurements say. The cabin of the C7 feels much smaller than the cabin of the C6. I'm 6'3", 235lbs.. and I simply could not get comfortable in any of the C7's I've sat in.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:51 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,929 Likes on 4,810 Posts

[QUOTE=nmvettec7;1590346419]Great points and I totally agree about excess HP that most people don't need or even use. I sold a 2013 Hyundai Sonata Ltd with a 2.0L Turbo engine. Even though it was a Huyndai the power that the 2.0T delivered was awesome. It was very quick.

Yes Sir those Hyundai Sonata's with the 2.0L turbos are scary quick.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:55 PM
alamo1974
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Jedi-Jurist
Road and Track picked the C7 over both the Cayman and the new M3, so yes.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:05 PM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Great points and I totally agree about excess HP that most people don't need or even use. I sold a 2013 Hyundai Sonata Ltd with a 2.0L Turbo engine. Even though it was a Huyndai the power that the 2.0T delivered was awesome. It was very quick.

FYI. On my 2014 Cayman I got 7.5% off the MSRP from my dealer in Tucson, AZ. Paid $200 to have it shipped from Tucson to Las Cruces, NM via I-10. The car has been flawless in every since of the word.

Even though it is a 2014 Cayman base, the car is excellent in performance and the gas mileage is fantastic also. I have the sport mode, and sport plus and the auto PDK tranny. Interior is much roomier than the C7.
A buddy bought the Sonata with the 2.0T and said the same thing. 0-60 is 6.5 seconds for a full sized car ain't bad. Not a racer, but certainly respectable. Figuring half throttle on the C7 would yield similar results and can you a ticket pretty quickly down here even doing that.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:24 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

[QUOTE=dvilin;1590347491]

Yes Sir those Hyundai Sonata's with the 2.0L turbos are scary quick.
Yes, Dvilin they are very quick. I suspect you never owned one. We are seeing more 2.0L Turbo engines in premium cars.

Even GM has added a 2.0L Turbo in the Cadillac CTS.

Honda has also entered the market with a 2.4L Turbo engine. BMW, Volkswagen, Audi, Range Rover, Lexus, Ford and a handful of other car makers are also selling cars with 2.0L Turbo engines.

The Volvo S60 135 MPH...has been redesigned for 2015, and now has a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine that has been coupled to an eight-speed transmission. Ready to run with the heavyweights of luxury, the S60 is quite fast too, topping out at 135 miles per hour thanks to those extra gears.

Acura TSX 137 MPH...Boasting a zero to sixty time of 7.8 seconds and reaching a top speed of 137 miles per hour, the TSX delivers more than enough to hit the open highways with the windows down. An ample 201 horsepower is produced by this older generation’s engine, helping the classic TSX hold its own even against modern models in the Acura lineup.

Hyundai Sonata 140 MPH...Few four-cylinder vehicles deliver performance like a V6, but the Hyundai Sonata SE 2.0T sure as hell gets the job done. This relatively unknown Sonata variant can reach a terminal speed of 140 miles per hour, and sprint from zero to sixty in just 6.1 seconds. The performance comes from a 274-horsepower turbocharged inline-four engine, which is not what people are expecting when they see this snoozer, and we think it would make a fantastic sleeper for unprecedented ***-kicking on the highway.

Subaru BRZ — 145 mph...Subaru vehicles are known for their capabilities both on and off the road, but with the BRZ drivers are more likely to remember sliding around corners in tail-happy form. The BRZ taps into the physique of a sports car , along with a 200 horsepower 2.0-liter Subaru Boxer four-cylinder engine to help hit 145 miles per hour. It’s hard to get something more lightweight and nimble than the BRZ, and we cannot wait to see if Subaru finally decides to slap a turbo on something like the BRZ STI Concept.

Ford Mustang EcoBoost — 145 mph
A Ford Mustang with a four-cylinder engine? Yeah, you heard us. Ford is taking steps to make it’s classic muscle car more appealing to the eco-conscious crowd, and they are kicking *** along the way too. Featuring a turbocharged four-cylinder EcoBoost engine, this Mustang variant comes with a price tag of less than $30,000, and can be outfitted with a performance package for just a couple grand more, thus making it one of the best bang-for-the -buck cars out there.

Ford Focus ST — 154 mph
The Ford Focus has come a long way since its introduction in the late 1990s. The model has since been spun-off into a variety of different styles and trims to accommodate drivers around the globe, and until recently it was never really built to capture astounding speeds. But the new Focus ST is not just your typical mundane commuter car, as its four-cylinder engine has been mated to a turbocharged, direct-injection EcoBoost system that produces 252 horsepower and hits a top speed of 154 miles per hour.

Mercedes-Benz SLK250 — 155 mph
Mercedes has updated its sporty SLK250 model with a 201 horsepower turbocharged four-cylinder engine, making it one of the faster convertibles you can buy with this powerplant. The SLK250 tops out at 155 miles per hour, which comes to us courteous of a six-speed manual gearbox or a seven-speed automatic transmission. With sport suspension at the ready, and a bevy of factory performance options at the ready, this little convertible really is a high speed threat to engines twice its size.

BMW Z4 — 155 mph
The entry-level model of BMW’s Z4 roadster comes standard with a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine that produces 240 horsepower, and can reach a top speed of 155 miles per hour. We like that this version of the Z4 gets 20% better fuel efficiency than its six-cylinder predecessor, and that it is available with a manual gearbox. Sadly though, top speeds are controlled by an electronic limiter, which leads us to wonder how windy it would get in the cabin if we were allowed to truly push this roadster to the limits.

Audi TTS — 155 mph
Audi’s TTS is a sleek little luxury sports car that has the jump on almost anyone who misjudges it. The TTS can hit a top speed of 155 miles per hour, which puts it up there with the previous models from Mercedes and BMW, and it comes with a 2.0-liter inline-four cylinder engine that provides 265 horsepower. The 2015 model is in its ninth year of production though, so it is a tad overdue for a redesign, but who cares?! You’ve got a stupid fast little European rocket ship that will smash almost any muscle car that lines-up next to it!

Volkswagen Golf R — 155 mph
“Das auto” now has the ability to surprise even the biggest naysayer with its ferocious appetite for adrenaline. Volkswagen’s Golf R edition, can reach terminal speeds of 155 miles per hour courtesy of a 292 horsepower 2.0-liter motor. Newer variants have more horsepower and capability than older designs, and features like a sharp six-speed gearbox, all-wheel drive, and sport suspension keep enthusiasts and commuters alike happy as this little German machine continues to surge onward.

Subaru WRX STI — 155 mph
For those of you who are looking to stray from the beaten path, Subaru’s WRX STI may be just the ticket. The WRX is well-known for being a powerful and capable little sedan, and the newest variants are fully loaded with a 305 horsepower 2.5-liter turbo four, allowing it to reach top speeds of 155 miles per hour. The WRX STI also has the surprising ability to best expensive sports cars as it rockets from zero to sixty in just 4.5 seconds. And since it was born to rally, the WRX STI offers amazing handling from its unique drivetrain, and remains one of the best all-season daily drivers out ther

Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X — 157 mph
Now reaching its tenth generation, Mitsubishi’s popular Lancer Evolution X has had plenty of time to solidified itself as one of the fastest four-cylinder-equipped cars on the planet. Capable of reaching top speeds of 157 miles per hour, the Evolution X is outfitted with a 2.0-liter turbocharged 16-valve I-4 engine, allowing it to hit sixty in just 4.5 seconds. Horsepower peaks at 291, thus making this little Japanese monster a steadfast contender for the Subaru STI in a longstanding competition of epic proportions.

Alfa Romeo 4C — 160 mph
American drivers rejoice, for the Alfa Romeo 4C is back on U.S. soil for the 2015 model year, and it is ready to kick *** and guzzle petrol. The 4C currently claims the title as fastest four-cylinder car on the planet, hitting top marks of 160 miles per hour behind the power of 240 stampeding European horses. The engine itself is a 1742cc turbocharged four-cylinder, coupled with a dual dry clutch six-speed automatic transmission for seamless shifting. For American Alfa Romeo fans, the 4C has been a long time coming, and for fans of fast, sleek cars loaded with sporty dynamism, the 4C offers the most for this engine class.

There are plenty more Dvilin!
Old 08-25-2015, 07:58 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Impressive list, all good top speeds but nothing I would trade my Vette for or that compare to the performance of the Vette. But thanks for sharing.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:56 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,213 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin
Impressive list, all good top speeds but nothing I would trade my Vette for or that compare to the performance of the Vette. But thanks for sharing.
I like to think 5 flat to 60 is reasonably good....4 flat and under is hauling *** to me..6 seconds in in my 6000 pound Ram truck range...lol

I like the 0 to 60 as a measure for the street as that is one I can actually use regularly as opposed to top speeds.

Last edited by hawkgfr; 08-25-2015 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:27 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Originally Posted by hawkgfr
I like to think 5 flat to 60 is reasonably good....4 flat and under is hauling *** to me..6 seconds in in my 6000 pound Ram truck range...lol

I like the 0 to 60 as a measure for the street as that is one I can actually use regularly as opposed to top speeds.
I am with you 100%. The top speeds are impressive but the times to get there are nothing to rave about. I was trying to be nice since the Op took the time to put the list together to try and show me how fast 2.0L turbos are or in reality are not.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:27 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,213 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin
I am with you 100%. The top speeds are impressive but the times to get there are nothing to rave about. I was trying to be nice since the Op took the time to put the list together to try and show me how fast 2.0L turbos are or in reality are not.
exactly....given enough room a lot of cars can get top end speed...
Old 08-26-2015, 07:44 AM
baege
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A lot of the replies here make sense. In the end, it is a very subjective thing.

For me the C7 can not compare to a 981S in terms of driving joy and engagement, even though it has much more power. Power in and of itself is fun, but not the be all and end all of the driving experience. If it were we would all be driving hellcats. It is in the subtleties of the driving experience that the 981S excels and surpasses the C7. The way things feel and go together. It really is kind of hard to articulate and it is very subjective.

To make an informed choice, you really need to spend an extended time in each vehicle. I only had about a 10 minute test drive in a C7 before I ordered one and that test drive did not reveal some of the things about the C7 that I liked less than the 981S. It was only when I had the car for some time and drove it over a few days that I realized I wasn't enjoying it as much as I had my 981S. So if you can find a way to rent both and spend a day with each, I think that would be a worthwhile investment to ensure you get the car that really will bring you the most enjoyment.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:08 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Originally Posted by baege
A lot of the replies here make sense. In the end, it is a very subjective thing.

For me the C7 can not compare to a 981S in terms of driving joy and engagement, even though it has much more power. Power in and of itself is fun, but not the be all and end all of the driving experience. If it were we would all be driving hellcats. It is in the subtleties of the driving experience that the 981S excels and surpasses the C7. The way things feel and go together. It really is kind of hard to articulate and it is very subjective.

To make an informed choice, you really need to spend an extended time in each vehicle. I only had about a 10 minute test drive in a C7 before I ordered one and that test drive did not reveal some of the things about the C7 that I liked less than the 981S. It was only when I had the car for some time and drove it over a few days that I realized I wasn't enjoying it as much as I had my 981S. So if you can find a way to rent both and spend a day with each, I think that would be a worthwhile investment to ensure you get the car that really will bring you the most enjoyment.
I did spend time in both and understand what you are saying. But for me it was the opposite. I felt the raw power of the Vette was what I wanted first and foremost. Very happy with my decision. I should add that I have owned 4 Porsches in the past including a 911 Turbo and completely understand the differences comparing Porsche/Corvette but bottom line the C7 for me is the best.

Last edited by dvilin; 08-26-2015 at 09:48 AM.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:53 AM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

I have driven a 1st gen Boxster. The 986 generation.

Best way to explain how it felt. Like driving a big gokart. If you've ever been karting, you will know exactly what I mean. Especially with the engine behind you.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:05 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Therein lies the real discussion......what one wants or expects from their choice or car. Certainly there are those that want the raw power while another may prefer something different.

as a matter of related information

the 0-60 in 6.1 is really nothing to sneeze at.

That performance beats the 1973 Corvette 454 and the 1987 IROC-Z Camaro. Also beats all the V8 and V10 Ram trucks except the SRT10.

Again, we are comparing a 2.0T 4 cyl. to motors twice the size.

Also I understand that mid 2016 Porsche will be intro'ing 4 cyl Turbo motors into the Cayman/Boxster models (or so the rumor mill goes). W/ HP output of up to 395 HP

CAFE standards seem to be driving the change so I expect to see some of the V8 power we have come to know and love over the years to be replaced by Turbo 6's in an effort to meet fleet CAFE requirements.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:37 PM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

CAFE standards seem to be driving the change so I expect to see some of the V8 power we have come to know and love over the years to be replaced by Turbo 6's in an effort to meet fleet CAFE requirements.
Expect them to be replaced with high boost turbo 4's with electric motor assist on the front wheels as the performance cars of the future.
It is the only way to get 0-60 times under 5 seconds and 40 mpg EPA combined (which is about 51 mpg EPA raw)
Old 08-26-2015, 01:00 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Silly to spend 80 on a more loaded Stingray when you can buy a z06 1lz for a little more. The Stingray value will drop faster and I like the Z06 much better.
After having both.

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 08-26-2015 at 01:09 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Is the C7 the best Sports Car under $80K

Old 08-26-2015, 02:38 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Therein lies the real discussion......what one wants or expects from their choice or car. Certainly there are those that want the raw power while another may prefer something different.

as a matter of related information

the 0-60 in 6.1 is really nothing to sneeze at.

That performance beats the 1973 Corvette 454 and the 1987 IROC-Z Camaro. Also beats all the V8 and V10 Ram trucks except the SRT10.

Again, we are comparing a 2.0T 4 cyl. to motors twice the size.

Also I understand that mid 2016 Porsche will be intro'ing 4 cyl Turbo motors into the Cayman/Boxster models (or so the rumor mill goes). W/ HP output of up to 395 HP

0-60 in 6.1 seconds is also the exact same performance you can get from any V6 Honda Accord or Toyota Camry. It might be nothing to sneeze at. But an $60-80,000 car should deliver more.

As somebody already said. A Sonata with a 2.0T is pretty fast. Would be really embarrassing watching one of those walk away from your "sports car" at a stop light.

Last edited by Daekwan06; 08-26-2015 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:41 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Silly to spend 80 on a more loaded Stingray when you can buy a z06 1lz for a little more. The Stingray value will drop faster and I like the Z06 much better.
After having both.
I completely agree with that. My ceiling for a Stingray is the 2LT w/Z51 in the mid 60's. Because if I've going to spend $70K plus on a Stingray.. then I might as well look at the 1LZ Z06's. Same car. More fun. Much better resale value.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:00 PM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
0-60 in 6.1 seconds is also the exact same performance you can get from any V6 Honda Accord or Toyota Camry. It might be nothing to sneeze at. But an $60-80,000 car should deliver more.

As somebody already said. A Sonata with a 2.0T is pretty fast. Would be really embarrassing watching one of those walk away from your "sports car" at a stop light.
Assuming I'm foolish enough to race in traffic.

Quick Reply: Is the C7 the best Sports Car under $80K