I think I have an A/C problem. New C7

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 11:46 PM
Addicted427
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I have an A/C problem. New C7

Hey guys.

Just picked a brand new 2016 c7 a8. Got the car exactly 7 days ago. So far I'm really happy with the car except for
The a/c.

Sometimes it blows really cold and sometimes when I'm in traffic it stops blowing cold air for like a minute or more.

This can't be normal. Anyone notice this or even have this problem?

P.S I'm in Miami FL. temp in the 90s lately.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:51 AM
pltmgr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 360 Likes on 216 Posts

I have never noticed my 15 do this.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:01 AM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Received 586 Likes on 266 Posts

I haven't noticed this in my '15 however, some on here have complained about their AC not being cold enough. I always use my AC in manual mode, thermostat cranked down and fan where I think I need it. The auto mode doesn't seem to satisfy my needs, nor the needs of some of the others who've posted their experiences. Do you use auto or manual mode?
Old 09-02-2015, 08:20 AM
JC 2004
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Addicted427
Hey guys.

Just picked a brand new 2016 c7 a8. Got the car exactly 7 days ago. So far I'm really happy with the car except for
The a/c.

Sometimes it blows really cold and sometimes when I'm in traffic it stops blowing cold air for like a minute or more.

Is your temp set to auto or manual?
Also, and you probably already know this but the a/c needs air passing through the condenser to function optimally. So being stopped in traffic could be contributing.
I remember being unhappy with my 2014 on auto setting but seemed to function to my liking I manual mode.

I agree with frodo... Kids had me busy so his reply wasn't there when I started,lol.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:30 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Check that the electric engine cooling fan is running with the AC on and the compressor engaged. If it isn't running then you lose airflow across the condenser when the car isn't moving resulting in loss of AC function and ultimately it will result in the engine overheating.

With the high humidity in your area you will find using the recirculate mode highly beneficial, particularly in traffic, since it greatly reduces load on the HVAC system since it doesn't bring in a lot of hot outside air into the cabin.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:40 AM
Addicted427
Intermediate

I always have that sucker on Lo and full blast. Never use auto. Yes I always use the recycle.

My c6 did not have this problem. Let alone any other vehicle I've had.

Does the driving mode affect this in any way?
Old 09-02-2015, 08:42 AM
ratman6161
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
Default counterpoint:

I guess I'm the opposite of a lot of people here. I leave mine in auto mode almost all the time and just adjust the temperature control.

Remember the temperature is not really an exact science. The car can be moving or not moving (like in bumper to bumper traffic) or moving slowly and the outside temperature and humidity conditions can very wildly. And the human machine can react to the same conditions differently at different times too. If its too warm, I just turn down the temperature **** a couple of degrees.

For example I am usually up at 5:00 AM and on the road to work by 5:30 AM. Traffic is light and temperatures are lower at that hour. So in the AM I might have the temp set at 72 to 74 and its fine. On the way home however, traffic is heavy for the first half hour of the drive. A lot of stop and go. On Monday the afternoon temperature was 87 and the humidity very high during that stop and go. It started to get warm in the car so I just cranked the **** down to 70 and all was well.

FYI, every single vehicle I've had with automatic temperature control has worked exactly the same way. This includes my previous Ford as well as my Nissan Truck and my wife's Subaru. Sure, its still requiring some manual adjustment, but its just turning one **** rather than making multiple adjustments. And my wife can control hers the same way on her side.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:48 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 934 Likes on 488 Posts
Tech Contributor

Manual all the time here, never auto, no problems.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:51 AM
10mm_
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

If you always have it on Lo and full blast from the blower then something is probably wrong. It's been mid 90's all summer here and if I did that I think I would freeze to death.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:09 AM
Addicted427
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 10mm_
If you always have it on Lo and full blast from the blower then something is probably wrong. It's been mid 90's all summer here and if I did that I think I would freeze to death.

Yup. I figured.

When it does work....its freezing..regardless of the 90's outside.

I'll take it in today after work.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:45 AM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,113 Likes on 753 Posts

I always have that sucker on Lo and full blast. Never use auto. Yes I always use the recycle.

My c6 did not have this problem. Let alone any other vehicle I've had.

Does the driving mode affect this in any way?
I have a 2015 and mine would not get cool enough. I didn't have time to take it to the dealer and each day it got better and now it cools great. Give it a little time and see if it gets better. I have notice that I keep the temp. setting lower than I did for my C-6.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:41 PM
jamze132
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've noticed that the air coming from the vents gets a lot warmer when stopped in traffic. Also, the auto mode sucks since it blows full blast forever as the AC system isn't all that great IMO anyways.

In our Bimmer's, I can keep it on auto and it cools very quickly and maintains even throughout stop n go traffic.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Vette more than the M3 but the AC system is completely inferior. So is the back-up camera...lol
Old 09-02-2015, 04:47 PM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by jamze132
but the AC system is completely inferior. So is the back-up camera...lol
But the back-up camera is better than what we had before.......nothing.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:32 PM
Pelee4me
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I love my 2015 but the AC is weak. On auto the fan blows full speed always. I use it on manual in recirculate mode and normally on the lowest temp setting. I've learned that the system has to run full blast until the car is cool otherwise it will never cool. Once the car is cool I can turn the fan down to a slower speed. My Toyota Camry is as cool as meat locker with no effort.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:37 PM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

I had that problem with my 2014 after just a couple of months. It was the temp sensor went bad. Stupid thing said "beware ice possible" on a 90 degree day. The dealer replaced it.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:26 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

I have the same issue but I have a procharger kit on mine since I have a intercooler blocking the condenser.

Once I start moving again, the AC on LO is ice cold!
Old 09-02-2015, 08:39 PM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by ratman6161
I guess I'm the opposite of a lot of people here. I leave mine in auto mode almost all the time and just adjust the temperature control.

Remember the temperature is not really an exact science. The car can be moving or not moving (like in bumper to bumper traffic) or moving slowly and the outside temperature and humidity conditions can very wildly. And the human machine can react to the same conditions differently at different times too. If its too warm, I just turn down the temperature **** a couple of degrees.

For example I am usually up at 5:00 AM and on the road to work by 5:30 AM. Traffic is light and temperatures are lower at that hour. So in the AM I might have the temp set at 72 to 74 and its fine. On the way home however, traffic is heavy for the first half hour of the drive. A lot of stop and go. On Monday the afternoon temperature was 87 and the humidity very high during that stop and go. It started to get warm in the car so I just cranked the **** down to 70 and all was well.

FYI, every single vehicle I've had with automatic temperature control has worked exactly the same way. This includes my previous Ford as well as my Nissan Truck and my wife's Subaru. Sure, its still requiring some manual adjustment, but its just turning one **** rather than making multiple adjustments. And my wife can control hers the same way on her side.
I keep mine on Auto and NEVER have had a problem in Traffic in the Tampa Bay Area...and .... believe me .... we have LOTS of stop and go traffic here.

Get notified of new replies

To I think I have an A/C problem. New C7

Old 09-02-2015, 08:39 PM
HoustonMidtown
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by jamze132
I've noticed that the air coming from the vents gets a lot warmer when stopped in traffic. Also, the auto mode sucks since it blows full blast forever as the AC system isn't all that great IMO anyways.

In our Bimmer's, I can keep it on auto and it cools very quickly and maintains even throughout stop n go traffic.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Vette more than the M3 but the AC system is completely inferior. So is the back-up camera...lol
There must be a lot of variance in the systems - my BMW barely gets cool after 30 minutes of driving...my C7 is freezing after 5 minutes - that was the first thing I noticed when I drove my Vette home from the dealer - the AC was much better
Old 09-02-2015, 09:39 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I never use it, when someone buys my cars they get a car with a new AC system because I never turn it on.

I love heat and humidity, summer only lasts a short time enjoy it while you can.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:17 AM
kevincol
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

Hey guys.

The a/c.

I have a 2016, been in very hot weather. Never experienced this. Sorry that you are! Get the repro and repro it at the dealer! Sucks.

Quick Reply: I think I have an A/C problem. New C7