Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Navigation time estimates way off!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 09:31 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

I can't understand how this could be true. Prior to the C7 launch we were all treated to endless press about how much better the new NAV system was and how the C6 NAV system was obsolete. So now the truth is out there and there are issues with it. As I have said before the C7 NAV system is not worth the money. I have a feeling the C8 will not have an in dash NAV system.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:50 AM
sharpgt
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
I can't understand how this could be true. Prior to the C7 launch we were all treated to endless press about how much better the new NAV system was and how the C6 NAV system was obsolete. So now the truth is out there and there are issues with it. As I have said before the C7 NAV system is not worth the money. I have a feeling the C8 will not have an in dash NAV system.
So far I have yet to see a factory installed NAV system worth anywhere near the cost and that includes my 2015 Porsche and 2014 Benz. However, I sincerely doubt GM will miss an opportunity to offer a NAV system since all options are profit centers. In my experience all built in NAV's are inferior to phone based system like WAZE, my current favorite. On long trips I use both but listen to WAZE.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:07 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,822 Likes on 2,066 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

I believe it thinks you are doing the speed limit listed. Um..... Well.... Maybe not so much. I replaced the C6 NAV and I think the NAV asked me something to the order of, SO, Dude, How fast you gonna drive this heap on the highway? I said 80 and the estimates were spot on.

I don't see that option anywhere on the C7 NAV system. The damn thing knows the speed limits for the whole trip so I can see where the time estimates would be higher.

5 hours on the highway and I drop ~50 minutes from the trip.

Elmer
Old 09-03-2015, 01:16 PM
Nuclearranger
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
I believe it thinks you are doing the speed limit listed. Um..... Well.... Maybe not so much. I replaced the C6 NAV and I think the NAV asked me something to the order of, SO, Dude, How fast you gonna drive this heap on the highway? I said 80 and the estimates were spot on.

I don't see that option anywhere on the C7 NAV system. The damn thing knows the speed limits for the whole trip so I can see where the time estimates would be higher.

5 hours on the highway and I drop ~50 minutes from the trip.

Elmer
Not only do they assume speed limit, they usually add time on top of that for traffic.

Google tends to do the same thing, but be a bit more accurate because it can pull from live traffic data.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:05 PM
apex97
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by obxchartercaptain
I must have the ONLY one that works correctly...Picked my Vert up at the NCM .... Had my Garmin Nuvi with me for the trip from the Nashville Airport to the NCM....used them BOTH on the trip back to Florida and they were exactly the same instantly....I always used both because of my experiences with my C6 Nav unit...I've used it alot since I got back to FL and found it to be spot on every time....it even adjusts the time when you wait for those 5 min traffic lights we have here. Now I leave my Garmin in my 4x4 permanently
Nope at least two of us..mine(2016 Z06) has been spot on since the trip home from the museum and worked perfectly on a recent trip between Atlanta and Orlando.

Quick Reply: Navigation time estimates way off!