Old 09-09-2015, 05:17 AM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,518 Likes on 2,319 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Default Jeff Lamarche & Kai Spande talk about Kai, New Paint Shop Project

On Thursday, August 3, I had the privilege of listening to Jeff Lamarche and Kai Spande talk about Kai, the new paint shop project, and a couple of other plant related topics. For those who were not able to take advantage of the opportunity to hear from the outgoing and incoming Bowling Green Assembly Plant Managers, the following are a few of the highlights.

Jeff Lamarche begain with the following comments regarding his time as Plant Manager:

First off, I'd like to say "thank you" for everybody and say thanks for my short time here, but what an enjoyable time. We have met so many people...I cannot imagine how many people I've met and new friends we have made in the last year. It's just been an awesome, awesome experience. If you're not inside the Corvette family, you just have no idea until you become part of all this how much fun it is and how much it is part of our lives forever.
Jeff also spoke highly of Kai when he said,

We've known each other for a few years. He is absolutely the right guy to be here and I think you'll all see that in the months ahead.
After Jeff's introductory remarks, Kai shared some things about his personal life, various Corvettes that he has owned, and his career with GM. Kai is married and has two children: a 16 year old daughter and a 13 year old son. The first car he purchased after he started working for GM in 1991 was a 1978 Silver Anniversary Corvette. After that, he purchased a 1964 Corvette Convertible, made its small block a big block, and completed a frame off restoration with his own hands (everything except the paint). He also owned a 1969, numbers matching, 427, 4 speed, side pipe Corvette as well as a 1999 Corvette. That was about the time that he started his family and Corvette took a back seat for a while basically because Corvettes don't have back seats. Kai has also driven company supplied Corvettes at times. And if you're driving around Bowling Green now, you might come across Kai driving his 1937 street rod pickup.

As already stated, Kai has been with GM for almost 25 years and has been a plant manager since 2009. His responsibilities managing a $150,000,000 Euro annual production and working with almost 1000 people under his leadership translates into the experience to manage the production and labor force of the Bowling Green Assembly. Additionally, the Wixom Performance Build Center was one of his responsibilities and he was on the leading edge of the transfer of the Performance Build Center to Bowling Green. In describing what he brings to the table as the new plant manager, Kai made the following comments:

"I'm a very collaborative, listening type of a leader that takes the time and extra effort to make sure that whatever decisions that need to be made, that they're made with the best interest of the customer and the company. No unilateral decisions...and that makes life more difficult in the short term but in the long term it makes it better for everybody."
Jeff and Kai both spoke about the new Corvette paint shop project. Kai stated that in his history with GM, he has been responsible for well over $1 billion in investments in powertrain operations. He assures us that he has the ability to get the job done and is motivated to do so. He also stated that the paint shop project needs to go off without a hitch and he will make sure that it does.

Since Jeff Lamarche has been at the forefront of the project up to this point, he provided some additional information that I think is worth sharing. The paint shop at the Bowling Green Assembly is actually GM's oldest paint shop. As they work toward building the new paint shop, they are undoing some legacy issues, which will result in paint quality that will match the quality of the vehicle that they are already producing. He fully expects the paint to match the quality of any of Corvette's competitors, including Porsche, Ferrari, and others. An investment of approximately $440 million with a 10 year amortization, with current production volume, translates into an investment of about $2,500 per Corvette. That is just the investment in the facility and not in its operation. This being the case, Jeff said that the new paint quality has to be nothing but the best.

The new paint shop design is a purpose driven design. It is a clean sheet of paper and as such will provide what is needed in order to get the best paint finish possible on composite material and panels (as opposed to metal and full body vehicle paint processes). Painting plastic and composites is difficult. The surfaces are not smooth and it's definitely not the same as painting steel. Painting composites is much more difficult than painting steel. Jeff said that they have learned a lot with the C7 and that with a clean sheet of paper, they can do things that they couldn't do before. They have learned what to do differently in the new paint shop, from preparation of the material to the primer coat to the top coat to the clear coat. With every step, Jeff said that are things that they are putting into the design that are going to be spectacular. He made it clear that he wasn't saying that what they do today is bad, but that when you have a clean sheet of paper, you have the opportunity to go places you've never gone before. And that, my friends, is exciting! Jeff stated that they are going to go places they have never been and, that in lab tests, the results are like nothing anyone has ever seen before with the Corvette.

The target date for the new paint facility to be online is the fall of 2017. Once online, plant tours will include a visit to the paint shop. A tour route is being designed that will include a path outside of the clean room where employees process through air showers, making sure they are properly clothed, and keeping dirt, hair, and other potential contaminates out. This path will give tour participants a view through windows that will face a paint booth where paint robots will be seen in action.

One final note. Jeff also talked about the change in the composite material that took place toward the end of the 2015 Corvette production cycle. The new composite material is actually the composite that is used on the Corvette racing cars. It is a stronger, but lighter composite that also allows paint to lay better than the previous composite material.

Coming away from the meeting I had a deeper appreciation for what Jeff Lamarche has done during his time as plant manager as well as a very optimistic outlook for the future with Kai Spande at the helm. As incredible as the C7 is, I believe the best for Corvette is still to come!

Old 09-09-2015, 06:57 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,309 Likes on 13,980 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Good article and hopefully the paint quality will be significantly improved when the new facility comes online. The only question is how will this affect the bottom line price for the Corvette.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:11 AM
Len44
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 121 Likes on 72 Posts

"Jeff also talked about the change in the composite material that took place toward the end of the 2015 Corvette production cycle. The new composite material is actually the composite that is used on the Corvette racing cars. It is a stronger, but lighter composite that also allows paint to lay better than the previous composite material."

Huh? Would like to know more about this comment. When, exactly did this happen?
Old 09-09-2015, 08:17 AM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by Len44
"Jeff also talked about the change in the composite material that took place toward the end of the 2015 Corvette production cycle. The new composite material is actually the composite that is used on the Corvette racing cars. It is a stronger, but lighter composite that also allows paint to lay better than the previous composite material."

Same here.

At what 15' production dates was this actually implemented? I have a very end of the model year 15'... wondering if it has the newer panels.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:23 AM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Good stuff, Jag. Thanks for posting this information. Gives me hope that if I am lucky enough to get another new Corvette that I won't have the Sunkist option .
Old 09-09-2015, 01:18 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

I do not know the exact date of transition. However, it is reasonable to say that the change started when they started producing the very first 2016 models. It could have taken place in April when they started producing the first 2016 pilot cars. Since the 2016 started with a rolling start (meaning they were still building 2015s as they began to build 2016s), I am guessing the changeover was complete by that time.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:24 PM
Len44
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 121 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran
I do not know the exact date of transition. However, it is reasonable to say that the change started when they started producing the very first 2016 models. It could have taken place in April when they started producing the first 2016 pilot cars. Since the 2016 started with a rolling start (meaning they were still building 2015s as they began to build 2016s), I am guessing the changeover was complete by that time.
That sounds logical, and likely. Thanks for the informative response.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:25 PM
kenrobb
Drifting

Received 217 Likes on 85 Posts

The new paint plant will be NW of the existing plant facility sort of west of the area the new cars are parked for transport loading. They have moved some dirt for entrance roads, etc. So painted parts will be "transported" to the assembly line some how. Thanks for posting the talk as it was hard to take-in all the information as it was said. I was surprised no one asked if this will get rid of orange peel. I would assume answer would have been YES.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:55 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

Originally Posted by kenrobb
The new paint plant will be NW of the existing plant facility sort of west of the area the new cars are parked for transport loading. They have moved some dirt for entrance roads, etc. So painted parts will be "transported" to the assembly line some how. Thanks for posting the talk as it was hard to take-in all the information as it was said. I was surprised no one asked if this will get rid of orange peel. I would assume answer would have been YES.
I'm pretty sure I heard someone ask about orange peel which prompted Jeff's reply that the paint quality would rival Porsche, Ferrari, etc.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:12 PM
JoeD-C8
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Also wish they would pay closer attention to under the hood! Paint quality there bordering on crap.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:47 PM
vetehead
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jeremy, thank you for sharing this...After what you went thru as an early adopter of a C7 as myself, I would guess this feels some what of a victory.Here is to our next Vettes having a flawless paint job
Old 09-09-2015, 02:49 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

Originally Posted by JoeD-C7
Also wish they would pay closer attention to under the hood! Paint quality there bordering on crap.
This is why I had my hood and inner fenders cleared and smoothed.

Originally Posted by vetehead
Jeremy, thank you for sharing this...After what you went thru as an early adopter of a C7 as myself, I would guess this feels some what of a victory.Here is to our next Vettes having a flawless paint job
It is, indeed!
Old 09-09-2015, 05:17 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran
I'm pretty sure I heard someone ask about orange peel which prompted Jeff's reply that the paint quality would rival Porsche, Ferrari, etc.
I haven't seen a lot of new Ferraris, but just know that Porsche has orange peel as do most other cars (even tho they are "steel" cars). Just go to any showroom and look.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:30 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
I haven't seen a lot of new Ferraris, but just know that Porsche has orange peel as do most other cars (even tho they are "steel" cars). Just go to any showroom and look.
The paint on my 2014 Porsche Cayman 981 is excellent, as I would say outstanding. Smooth as ice. No orange peel evident at all.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:55 PM
Damian M
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was at a mercedes dealership this weekend, helping my daughter buy a c300, I was looking at all the cars in the showroom (e class to s class) and I couldn't believe how many had orange peel, people were still buying them up like crazy. I think the general public really don't really notice it, I pointed this out to my daughter and she didn't realize this until i showed it to her.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:12 PM
bbrown450
Melting Slicks

Received 503 Likes on 347 Posts

not poo pooing your efforts op but saying that he does not consider what is going on now (2014-2016) "Bad" is scary to think
Old 09-09-2015, 07:08 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

My car was build on June 12th and my paint is very good!!!
Old 09-10-2015, 12:55 AM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

Originally Posted by bbrown450
not poo pooing your efforts op but saying that he does not consider what is going on now (2014-2016) "Bad" is scary to think
I don't even smell any poop. I'm just the reporter here.

Get notified of new replies

To Jeff Lamarche & Kai Spande talk about Kai, New Paint Shop Project

Quick Reply: Jeff Lamarche & Kai Spande talk about Kai, New Paint Shop Project