Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 144 Posts

Old 10-03-2015, 03:38 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 1,029 Likes on 530 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by meyerweb
I don't think the window indexing is really intended to provide venting to make it easier to close the doors. The purpose of indexing is to lower the windows just enough to clear the groove they seal in at the edge of the roof, then raise the window into that groove after the door is closed.
Absolutely true , as far as I know early BMW coupes with no b pillar, were for the first ones to do it, and it is because the window does not have hard channels on both sides. When closing the car you can buffet the window out, out of the top sealing track. So it relieves the pressure and then moves into the channel top. It really has nothing to do with our problem of the trunk lid closing problem or a hard close front door.

Last edited by Glen e; 10-04-2015 at 09:23 AM.
Old 10-03-2015, 05:37 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,684 Likes on 6,671 Posts

I don't think the window indexing is really intended to provide venting to make it easier to close the doors. The purpose of indexing is to lower the windows just enough to clear the groove they seal in at the edge of the roof, then raise the window into that groove after the door is closed.
It is done to get a better seal and reduce wind noise. Tadge said at a "Bash" when asked why they didn't just lower the windows more to help the hatch latch, said they are only allowed a 1/4 inch to avoid pinching. I assume he was referring to a child's nose/hands (and dog's as well) getting pinched when the windows would automatically close after the hatch latched. In a later GM bulletin re dealer testing hatch closing, it said to open both windows 2 inches! Probably what is needed to make the doors easier to close as well. Could easily check for those with hard to close doors to see how much that helps.

Last edited by JerryU; 10-04-2015 at 12:57 AM.
Old 10-03-2015, 05:46 PM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,417 Likes on 2,535 Posts

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
Doors are hard to close even with indexing. You have to learn to close them pretty hard or they won't latch.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:37 PM
freddieg
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 22 Posts

Old 10-04-2015, 09:55 AM
Tulsaeasyrider
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Streetrod782
I usually have to slam mine twice before it closes right. And there is no place to grab to close it. I usually use the window so I don't scratch the paint. Mine is a 16 as well.
Not necessary to touch the glass or the paint to shut the doors. Use the hook/latch at the end of the door to swing it closed. No fingerprints on surfaces or deformation of window angle.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:58 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 1,029 Likes on 530 Posts
Tech Contributor

Is everyone lubing the door parts that latch the door? White waterproof lithium grease works fine from the auto parts store......
Old 10-04-2015, 12:23 PM
blueray16
Burning Brakes

Received 481 Likes on 284 Posts

after living with the car for another day or so, I find that after indexing the windows, the doors still need a little extra force to close properly.
Will likely just involve developing proper muscle memory.
No harm, no foul
Old 10-04-2015, 12:33 PM
bbcb
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

just another design flaw ... car doors should have to be slammed ... period !
Old 10-04-2015, 01:02 PM
Dracla
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bbcb
I suspect you mean that they should NOT have to be slammed. I agree.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:26 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,245 Likes on 1,153 Posts

These do if the windows are up.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:43 PM
AWOL
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I have noticed most of the two door cars I have had are harder to close. It might have something to do with the length and weight of the bigger door.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:53 PM
bbcb
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Correct should not have to be slammed ..

Should be a movie lol ! slamming doors ..roof creaking after it is slammed shut ...scratch yourself of the paint finish ...and on and on ...would be too funny ,,,,
Old 10-04-2015, 07:53 PM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,127 Likes on 760 Posts

Originally Posted by JJhummus
Mine lowers a little, but it is not enough to release the glass from the seal. My Driver's door is a bear and I typically pop the hatch when getting out and then shut the door.. Then I go back and lightly push on the rear hatch to let the auto-latch lock it. Pain at this point, but it has been in the garage because of the weather...
My 2015 has the opposite problem, doors close perfect, rear hatch will not close properly until I open the door or lower the window.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:58 PM
freddieg
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by bbcb
Are you guys that are having problems all coupe owners? Just wondering if the soft top deals with the air compression better since it is a little bit flexible, just a thought.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:00 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,245 Likes on 1,153 Posts

To call this a problem is a little silly. You just have to pull the door a little harder than say in a C6. Big ******* deal.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:03 AM
Dracla
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by freddieg
Are you guys that are having problems all coupe owners? Just wondering if the soft top deals with the air compression better since it is a little bit flexible, just a thought.
Mine is a coupe, and I do believe from all the posts that a soft top allows the doors to close much easier. But I have now indexed both windows, and the doors are a bit easier to close than before, but still harder to close than on my 2010. I can live with that, at least until something needs replacing.

Get notified of new replies

To 2016 Doors Hard To Close

Old 10-05-2015, 09:23 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
To call this a problem is a little silly. You just have to pull the door a little harder than say in a C6. Big ******* deal.
Why should the C7 doors be more difficult to close than the C6?

My C6 coupe's doors close very easy, and I don't get any water intrusion nor do I have any wind noise at 160+ MPH.

Just sounds like the windows are adjusted where they tilt in a little too much at the top. Maybe a simple window adjustment is all that is needed.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:12 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 494 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Dracla
Mine is a coupe, and I do believe from all the posts that a soft top allows the doors to close much easier. But I have now indexed both windows, and the doors are a bit easier to close than before, but still harder to close than on my 2010. I can live with that, at least until something needs replacing.
The soft top actually vents the air when you close the doors. If I close the door quickly, I can see the bottom edge of the soft top (below the back window) lift slightly as the air pressure in the car increases. That won't happen in a coupe.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:38 PM
HDLARRY
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

This door closing issue is not unique to the 2016 Coups. I have the same problem with my 16 Vert.

When you close it from the outside you can see the indexing is working but it simply does not open far enough to clear the seal. This needs to be fixed by GM in the software. Obviously not a problem with the top down.

I wonder if this is a side-effect of getting rid of the vent in the rear. Fixing the hatch closing issue while creating a door closing issue.

More reasons to buy a 'vert. No problem closing the trunk or doors. When I slam the door, I can see the bottom edge of the roof lift slightly to release the pressure.
Originally Posted by freddieg
Originally Posted by Dracla

Quick Reply: 2016 Doors Hard To Close