Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY: LTI intake valve cleaning/cleaning deposits

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 12:07 PM
Tron1
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I have ordered a 2017 NON-Z06, NO dry sump Corvette. 1. Do I require the dual exit port catch can? 2. Are installation instructions included? 3. Can the equipment be easily removed for CA CARB inspection??
Old 06-20-2016, 02:28 PM
Mobil 1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 233 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by A471133
DISCLAIMER: This DIY guide has been put together using knowledge from various third party sources, and demonstrated on one vehicle. It is not endorsed or property of this forum or myself in any way/shape/form. This is simply more information for those who are curious about the cleaning process. Neither this forum nor myself are liable for any damages that are incurred as a result of using this guide. The end user (you) assume all risks to you/your car/your environment by using this guide. E.g. you take the risk of breaking your car/voiding your warranty by using this guide.

I also do not endorse any of the products used in this DIY, purely one man’s tools and opinions.

Now let’s get to it. I want to give thanks to the following as this would not have been possible without the information they provided:

Theta's excellent DIY guides in the stickies section.
RX for their videos showing their intake valve cleaning
coSPEED2 and other vendors for bringing this issue to light
user Wormwood for his advice/expertise as he had completed this before me
various other users and threads detailing the BMW “walnut shell cleaning”

The C7 Z51 is the second GDI (Gas direct injection) engine I have had. I previously had a VW that I completed a similar cleaning before. Knowing that, I immediately installed Elite Engineering’s clean oil separator and catch can upon picking up my car at the dealer last year. I also immediately drained all the oil and completed a new oil change and performed a cleaning of intake air tracts at that time. My C7 is a weekend car, and only very few miles and is not tracked. I used a boroscope a few months ago and confirmed that my intake valves were pretty clean and did not need a cleaning right now.

My friend bought his C7 Z51 shortly after I did. His was used and came with 6k miles. At the time he bought it, it did not have a catch can or oil separator installed, and records showed that it received the first oil change at around 1200 miles. He installed the same catch can and air separator shortly after buying the vehicle. He was worried about valve coking issue after reading several threads, and proceeded to our local Chevy dealer to inquire about induction cleaning service. When he talked to the service advisor, they looked at him if he had grown two heads. One of the techs said that they could spray a cleaner into the intake and clean it that way, but that he would be charged $400. My buddy at this point approached me for help.

There are differing opinions on how much this affects performance/efficiency and what type of cleaning is warranted, I am not hear to argue those issues. There are those who have just sprayed/poured cleaner into their manifold and then crank the engine. This type of cleaning causes me nightmares as I can see countless chunks/sludge and deposits making their way past the intake valves and into the chambers. I put together this DIY for those who wanted to know more about the process of cleaning the valves. This was done on my buddy’s 14 Z51, but I can see the same thing being applied to the wet sump engine as well.
I might have missed it but how many miles were on Corvette when you cleaned it?
We are about to do the same on a 2013 GTI at my shop.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:55 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Tron1
I have ordered a 2017 NON-Z06, NO dry sump Corvette. 1. Do I require the dual exit port catch can? 2. Are installation instructions included? 3. Can the equipment be easily removed for CA CARB inspection??
Yes, the dual port (3 fittings on top) and the cleanside separator. Instructions will be emailed, and may be some video of it, but just ask me for any assistance needed in the install. Easy to remove and revert to stock for the wet sump LT1 engine. Save all your stock parts.

Cleanside replaces stock oil fill cap, cross over line form valve covers comes with additional OEM snap on connectors, and then it is just vacuum caps you install and can take back off to revert to stock.

Only one hole to drill into coupler that attaches main air bridge assy. to the throttle body, and that can easily be plugged.

This is slightly different as it is a 2014 up truck LT engine here, but same install.

Originally Posted by Mobil 1
I might have missed it but how many miles were on Corvette when you cleaned it?
We are about to do the same on a 2013 GTI at my shop.
In the video on Youtube. they state 5500 miles. The one with the before and after dyno graphs showing a gain of 19 RWHP after the cleaning was at 20k miles.

Please post pictures of what you find. We have found soaking the valves first for 15 minutes plus w/CRC or Seafoam cleaner helps loosen them. They are rock hard and crystalline so make sure the ports your cleaning the valves are closed completely so no debris gets past.

PM me for any help or tips.
The following users liked this post:
Tron1 (06-21-2016)
Old 06-22-2016, 03:47 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Need to keep this bumped up for all to read and learn. Would be a great sticky.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:52 PM
Tron1
Instructor

Steps to reduce coking on intake valves, as I understand it include:

1. top quality tier 1 gas
2. running the engine more aggressively, keep revs up
3. top quality hi performance synthetic motor oil (i.e., Amsoil, Redline or ?? what would qualify) Mobil 1 5w-30 meets the GM recommendation but I know it as a mid level oil)
4. Elite catch can as described and sold by COSPEED.

If I have left any pertinent info out please make additional comments. I look forward to more feedback on this thread.

Old 08-16-2016, 11:09 AM
Tron1
Instructor

bump
Old 08-16-2016, 01:28 PM
Mobil 1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 233 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Tron1
Steps to reduce coking on intake valves, as I understand it include:

1. top quality tier 1 gas
2. running the engine more aggressively, keep revs up
3. top quality hi performance synthetic motor oil (i.e., Amsoil, Redline or ?? what would qualify) Mobil 1 5w-30 meets the GM recommendation but I know it as a mid level oil)
4. Elite catch can as described and sold by COSPEED.

If I have left any pertinent info out please make additional comments. I look forward to more feedback on this thread.

This is the first time I heard MOBIL 1 being described as "mid level".
Old 08-16-2016, 05:55 PM
C2367
Drifting

Received 307 Likes on 133 Posts

I have noticed on decrease in power / performance yet but just the complete opposite. At about 6600 miles the performance has increased even with this bad weather I have been getting better 60', 1/8 & MPH compared to when the weather was cool and nice. I did install a catch can on my none Z51 @ around 2000 miles.
Old 12-25-2018, 03:26 PM
Richard Hartman
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Backyard over “engineering”.

Originally Posted by C2367
I have noticed on decrease in power / performance yet but just the complete opposite. At about 6600 miles the performance has increased even with this bad weather I have been getting better 60', 1/8 & MPH compared to when the weather was cool and nice. I did install a catch can on my none Z51 @ around 2000 miles.

A catch can is a great idea. So us using a spray in top cleaner every few thousand miles. Better yet a methanol injection system to prevent build up in the first place, as well as protect from detonation. With this said, disassembling your engine seems just crazy to me. The deposits that build up over several thousand miles will affect performance in a very negligible, or not at all way. This is an example of back yard mechanics second guessing real engineers with an overly invasive, time consuming procedure that may actually damage the engine. That’s my two cents as a mechanical engineer with 35 years experience. Sounds like changing your oil every 3000 miles. A waste of time, money and valuable resources. All that said, it’s nice to see fellow Americans that are actually thinking for a change, and all opinions are valued.

Last edited by Richard Hartman; 12-25-2018 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Addition
Pineapple (12-25-2018)
Old 12-25-2018, 03:36 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

A catch can is totally unnecessary on the LT1, and there is zero evidence that valve coking causes any performance degradation in LT engines well over 100K miles. Even if there were, there is no evidence that a catch can would prevent such a problem from occurring.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-25-2018 at 03:37 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
Cirrus8 (12-26-2018), Pineapple (12-25-2018)
Old 12-25-2018, 04:00 PM
rrepp
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 61 Posts

I don't know......The "related thread" is how to replace my pistons! It seems like a tough project for most of the non-mechanic owners to me. For somebody that can't do these projects himself this project would appear cost prohibitive when compared to just keeping Mobil 1 ESP 0-40W Dexos II oil, and running the engine as it was intended, which would be running it pretty hard, then paying a mechanic to "fix it up" whenever this carbon build up needs addressing as relates to engine performance. What would it cost me to have Cospeed product installed, and have a mechanic do this procedure every 10,000 miles? I am interested as I own a 2019 Stingray with 800 miles on it
Old 12-25-2018, 05:47 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,398 Likes on 749 Posts

Originally Posted by rrepp
I don't know......The "related thread" is how to replace my pistons! It seems like a tough project for most of the non-mechanic owners to me. For somebody that can't do these projects himself this project would appear cost prohibitive when compared to just keeping Mobil 1 ESP 0-40W Dexos II oil, and running the engine as it was intended, which would be running it pretty hard, then paying a mechanic to "fix it up" whenever this carbon build up needs addressing as relates to engine performance. What would it cost me to have Cospeed product installed, and have a mechanic do this procedure every 10,000 miles? I am interested as I own a 2019 Stingray with 800 miles on it
#1. As Foosh points out, there's no direct evidence of the need for a catch can, nor the effectiveness of same, on a stock LT1 engine
#2. That said, a catch can, properly installed, is pretty benign and shouldn't have any adverse effect on the engine, as long as you keep the can emptied
#3. I don't believe that running Dexos oil, or non-Dexos oil, will make any real difference in carbon buildup. That buildup comes from oil and bypass gasses that are fed into the intake system to be burned.
#4. Running the engine hard or easy probably has little to no bearing as well. The buildup is on the ambient side of the intake system, so the elevated cylinder pressure&temp that a hard run generates never sees the carbon buildup.

If I can ever get some time to pull the intake on my '14 (maybe spring break?) I'm going to see what's what. AFAIK it'll be one of very few LT1 engines that have been inspected for carbon buildup after 100k+ miles in stock condition and use.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 12-25-2018, 06:48 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Lol.
If you want to make work for yourself, why don't you wash the outside of the car ?
Old 12-25-2018, 08:16 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
Lol.
If you want to make work for yourself, why don't you wash the outside of the car ?
?? Is that for me?
Old 12-25-2018, 08:20 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
?? Is that for me?
Nope. I thought what you posted was legitimate.
My comment was for anyone who feels like making work for themselves. Maybe next time someone will produce some instructions on how to clean the inside of an exhaust manifold. In all fairness to the OP, I would sure like to know what symptoms he was attempting to address with this process.

Last edited by PatternDayTrader; 12-25-2018 at 08:35 PM.
Old 12-25-2018, 09:42 PM
ptalar
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Good thread. A couple of observations. 1) The engine being serviced with the intake valve cleaning has 13,000 miles with the catch can installed at 7000 miles. So 6000 miles with the catch can and 7000 miles without the catch can. With that said, the valve looks very dirty. Whether it is dirty enough to affect performance is a question. 2) If the engine intake valves are this dirty at 13,000 miles it appears the catch can is not as effective as thought. 3) I am really concerned now about the condition of the intake valves with higher mileage, say 100,000 miles. I have a 2016 Z51 I purchased new with no catch can. It has just over 14,000 miles on it now. I had sort of bought into Tadge Juechters position that the dry sump oil system has a built in blow by gas recirculation system that minimizes the amount of oil in the intake air that causes the valve coking. I just don't know now. I would like to see other engines at various mileages torn down for an intake valve inspection at say 20,000 miles, 40,000, 60,000, 80,000 and 100,000 miles with engine dyno testing to see if we have a problem compared to the amount of coking observed.
Old 12-25-2018, 09:56 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ptalar
I would like to see other engines at various mileages torn down for an intake valve inspection at say 20,000 miles, 40,000, 60,000, 80,000 and 100,000 miles with engine dyno testing to see if we have a problem compared to the amount of coking observed.
I expect that only GM could afford to do something like that, and those results would never be accepted by those of us that want to believe there's a problem. Likewise, maybe a vendor that sells, amongst other things, catch cans, could afford to do that, and their results wouldn't be accepted either. Us humans have a tremendous capacity to reject presentations of facts that fly in the face of our preconceived notions.

Have a good one,
Mike
Catchcans (05-23-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To DIY: LTI intake valve cleaning/cleaning deposits

Old 12-25-2018, 10:36 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by ptalar
Good thread. A couple of observations. 1) The engine being serviced with the intake valve cleaning has 13,000 miles with the catch can installed at 7000 miles. So 6000 miles with the catch can and 7000 miles without the catch can. With that said, the valve looks very dirty. Whether it is dirty enough to affect performance is a question. 2) If the engine intake valves are this dirty at 13,000 miles it appears the catch can is not as effective as thought. 3) I am really concerned now about the condition of the intake valves with higher mileage, say 100,000 miles. I have a 2016 Z51 I purchased new with no catch can. It has just over 14,000 miles on it now. I had sort of bought into Tadge Juechters position that the dry sump oil system has a built in blow by gas recirculation system that minimizes the amount of oil in the intake air that causes the valve coking. I just don't know now. I would like to see other engines at various mileages torn down for an intake valve inspection at say 20,000 miles, 40,000, 60,000, 80,000 and 100,000 miles with engine dyno testing to see if we have a problem compared to the amount of coking observed.
Don't worry about it, unless you have a maximum effort race car. Its a non issue on a street car.
ptalar (12-25-2018)
Old 12-26-2018, 11:18 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
#3. I don't believe that running Dexos oil, or non-Dexos oil, will make any real difference in carbon buildup. That buildup comes from oil and bypass gasses that are fed into the intake system to be burned.
The quality of the oil you run most definitely will have an effect on carbon buildup! If you use an oil with a higher level of sulphated ash for instance, that will build up more carbon compared to an oil with lower sulphated ash. So that's one of the benefits of a dexos2 certified oil, is that they are all low SAPS oils, which not only keep the cats cleaner in the long run but will also have lower amounts of carbon buildup too. I believe that is one of the big reasons why GM now puts the dexos2 0w40 in the C7.

Old 12-26-2018, 11:24 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

And the beat goes on......
The following 2 users liked this post by KenHorse:
Dcasole (12-26-2018), VetteDrmr (12-26-2018)

Quick Reply: DIY: LTI intake valve cleaning/cleaning deposits