Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM Needs to Assist Its New Customers with the Sirius Subscription GM "Gave Us"

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 01:49 AM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Louisville Ky NCM Lifetime Member 429 (Member Since 1993)
Received 261 Likes on 182 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '16

Default GM Needs to Assist Its New Customers with the Sirius Subscription GM "Gave Us"

If you own a 2016 Corvette, that is either a 2LT, 3LT, 2LZ or 3LZ, as part of your corvette purchase you receive the 3 month trial subscription from Sirius, and then YOU paid for 9 additional months of Sirius service.

What apparently is happening (in many cases - we are talking 1,000's of cases), Sirius is ignoring the 9 month you paid for at the conclusion of your initial trial, and then are calling you (at least me) every single day on my cell phone, saying my service will be cut off if I don't buy from them then and there, and they don't care when you tell them you have a active subscription they need to attach to your account.

Today, they finally discontinued my service, even though I purchased the car on July 17, with a years worth of subscription (between the 3 month trial and 9 months I paid for.

I have:

1) Spoken to sirius until I am blue in the face.

2) Called my dealer, who at the time of the sale said they wanted me 100% satisfied, so If I need anything they would be there......they needed a perfect report card. Well now, they are saying this problem has nothing to do with the sales department at the dealership, and they know that GM Customer Care is saying this was part of their responsibility (to get the trial and subscriptioh set up on the vehicle at the time of sale).

I really wish I could take my new car survey back, because they are useless on this one, and act like they dont care.

3) GM Customer Care is sending me back to the dealership.

I am so damn mad now, I can't hardly see straight. I am at the point to where I will not recommend GM or its products to anyone but my worst enemy.

No one will take responsibility, and I am at the point to where I am going to call a law firm in Chicago that does nothing but handle claims of customers with major manufacturers. I used them once before, and they were successful in getting GM to buyback a lemon, that had 50,000 miles and 4 years old. That is a different story, but dont let any attorney, dealer or otherwise tell you that you are limited by the state lemon laws. Its NOT TRUE! There is a federal lemon law, that applies to all products, including vehicles, and it extends to 50% of the useful life of an item, whatever it is.

That was the only way i got GM's attention, as they told me up until they got the attorney letter to go S---W myself. After that, they wanted to know why i didn't try harder to work with them.

Well, I am at my wits end here, and someone with GM needs to take this one and get it fixed. This is just wrong, and I am not sure its not criminal, if it can be proved that Sirius knew, or should have known, and/or GM knew this was a problem and not addressing it and letting their customers unknowingly pay for a service they knew the customer had already paid for.

GM wants to say they and Sirius are two different companies, and there is nothing they can do. I say, and believe the law will agree, that GM sold me a car with a suppliers product (Sirius), that I specifically paid 9 months of subscription to GM, so they are on the hook for making it right.

I don't know if anyone here has any connections with GM customer service or Sirius, but it would sure would be nice for someone one of these places to work this out.

When you buy $100k car, should get a certain level of service. its no different when dealing with BMW, Mercedes, or Lexus. They realize making sure the customers experience as good as possible is part of their job...

I wonder how many have not looked at their window sticker, and don't know they have paid subscription when sirius calls them to hassle them into buyihg a plan they have already purchased and paid for?

That would be an interesting poll question......
Old 10-23-2015, 03:13 AM
oyealiz
Team Owner

Received 232 Likes on 119 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'16

It's always a hassle with Sirius XM with every one of my XM radios, and it has nothing to do with a GM free trial.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:33 AM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

I understand your frustration but I can't see what the DEALER can do for you other than call them LIKE YOU and tell them LIKE YOU DID that you Paid for the additional 9 months when you purchased your car. It was on the MSRP sticker. I would make a copy of the sticker and send it to them.

Call them again..ask to speak to a supervisor and keep asking to speak to a DIFFERENT supervisor till you get someone that is in the UNITED STATES....calmly explain your problem and I am sure it will be resolved.

Good Luck

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 10-23-2015 at 10:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Glen e (10-23-2015)
Old 10-23-2015, 06:37 AM
proexpert
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 237 Posts

The free market society and big business does suck sometimes for us little folks. They just don't get it, ever. But I do like channel 66 for smooth jazz.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:50 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

If it wasn't for traffic and weather (you pay extra) I probably would cancel Sirius. Their music isn't that good (seems they pick the worst songs ever recorded, they save the good songs to sell you extra custom music) and some channels are just rebroadcast FM stations. I think the 2014s came with a full year subscription.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:13 AM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

SIRIUS XM epitomizes "bad customer service". Best to never get involved - just use Pandora. Let the free trial expire, never give them a dime or even contact them, and craft your stations on Pandora. Problem solved.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:23 AM
BIG Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 4,684 Likes on 1,862 Posts

Originally Posted by RACE U
I am so damn mad now, I can't hardly see straight. I am at the point to where I will not recommend GM or its products to anyone but my worst enemy......
No problems with my one year XM subscription with my 2014 C7 so this is not happening to everyone. I understand it can be frustrating when you are entitled to a year subscription and you only received three months. But in the scheme of things, many people only pay $77 for a one year XM subscription, therefore nine months equates to just $57.75. Trust me, getting that mad and that upset over $58 is not good for your health and certainly not good for your blood pressure. Maybe just tell GM if they can't get XM to extend your subscription, just tell GM you want a check for $58 and move on. Life is too short to get that upset over $58.
The following 2 users liked this post by BIG Dave:
BlueFinn (10-23-2015), BRussell (10-24-2015)
Old 10-23-2015, 07:53 AM
HoustonMidtown
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG Dave
No problems with my one year XM subscription with my 2014 C7 so this is not happening to everyone. I understand it can be frustrating when you are entitled to a year subscription and you only received three months. But in the scheme of things, many people only pay $77 for a one year XM subscription, therefore nine months equates to just $57.75. Trust me, getting that mad and that upset over $58 is not good for your health and certainly not good for your blood pressure. Maybe just tell GM if they can't get XM to extend your subscription, just tell GM you want a check for $58 and move on. Life is too short to get that upset over $58.
Getting that wound up over this is not worth it...put in some of your own music and go for a drive...
Old 10-23-2015, 08:03 AM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

My 3 month "trial" will end on 10/27 so I will be interested to see if I start getting calls from Sirius telling me my subscription is about to end. I have a 2016 2LT so I understand I should get 12 months of "free" service. I also have 2 other cars with Sat radios that are inactive. I might reactivate them but only if Sirius honors its 12 month deal on my C7. If I experience an issue, I will not reactivate any of my other radios.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:16 AM
Casey VP26
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 82 Posts

Very Interesting. I have my car going on 2 months they have not called yet. I was surprised when I had my car for three weeks they send me a bill for the following year of $187.00. The bill does say Your New Chevrolet Corvette includes a 12-month trail subscription, also shows a Trail End Date of Aug. 2016. My car is a 2016 3LT.

Please keep us posted. Thanks
Old 10-23-2015, 08:40 AM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

Leaned long ago to steer clear of this company no matter what deals they offer/
Old 10-23-2015, 09:00 AM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

All you have to do is call them prior to the subscription running out and tell them you're canceling their service. They'll offer you a dirt cheap deal.
NEVER give them a card number over the phone. Tell them to send an invoice and you'll send them a check.
In your case, your bank/ cc statement should be enough to get a resolution. If not, there's always your smart phone with Pandora, iPod, etc.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:16 AM
Mr. Stingray
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG Dave
I agree. I've only been that mad twice in my life and it had nothing to do with something so misunderstood as a radio subscription. My 2016 C7 was picked up on 9/1/15..so far, so good. My 2014 Ram 2500 tow vehicle came with Sirius for a year and it finally shut off yesterday. They called me prior to pulling the plug and wanted $200 plus.. I said get me a better deal...$187.00..not cheap enough...Pull the plug..hopefully they crawl back..I do like Fox News and Nascar radio though
Old 10-23-2015, 09:21 AM
HoustonMidtown
Racer

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
My 3 month "trial" will end on 10/27 so I will be interested to see if I start getting calls from Sirius telling me my subscription is about to end. I have a 2016 2LT so I understand I should get 12 months of "free" service. I also have 2 other cars with Sat radios that are inactive. I might reactivate them but only if Sirius honors its 12 month deal on my C7. If I experience an issue, I will not reactivate any of my other radios.
You can log on to your SiriusXM account and it will show you when your trial will expire
Old 10-23-2015, 09:24 AM
HoustonMidtown
Racer

Originally Posted by boraxman
Leaned long ago to steer clear of this company no matter what deals they offer/
I have had Sirius, XM, and now SiriusXM for many years in many vehicles, never had any issues with them...
Old 10-23-2015, 09:33 AM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

My 2015 has had no issues with the 1-yr Sirius subscription I got with the car. That year will be ending in November, and although I like the weather and fuel price data, I won't continue with it. In my opinion, Sirius and OnStar went to the same marketing school.

In my case, I own 4 vehicles with a Sirius receiver. I'm the only one who drives them, and I can only listen to one at a time. I might consider a form of a single subscription that covers all 4 of them - but they couldn't do that, their policy is one subscription per car. I elect not to be bound by their policy. Plenty of other great alternatives.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:46 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by HoustonMidtown
I have had Sirius, XM, and now SiriusXM for many years in many vehicles, never had any issues with them...

There is no competition since XM and Sirius combined, I think the programing declined; songs, advertising, disk jockey discussions on yesteryear and their darn 90s on 9 or similar notices (like, shut up and play a song). My rant for the day!

Get notified of new replies

To GM Needs to Assist Its New Customers with the Sirius Subscription GM "Gave Us"

not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

I got a bill for 256 dollars for 1 year!! yea,I'll get right on paying that bill. Look at your window sticker.See what it says about the subscription.If it says a year,raise hell with everybody! When I bought my 13 from MACMAULKIN,the same thing happened after 3 months but they handled it and all was well.
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by stingraymyway
All you have to do is call them prior to the subscription running out and tell them you're canceling their service. They'll offer you a dirt cheap deal.
NEVER give them a card number over the phone. Tell them to send an invoice and you'll send them a check.
In your case, your bank/ cc statement should be enough to get a resolution. If not, there's always your smart phone with Pandora, iPod, etc.
This is the same approach I have used with Sirius/XM. No credit card numbers and they will send an invoice to be paid. No problems, no concerns, no fluff from Sirius/XM. It's a great service. I also use a micro SD card filled with music in my C7. Both work fine.

Sirius/XM will cut a great deal to save the subscriber. This topic has been widely discussed here on the CF. Negotiate your deal.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:49 AM
Curahee
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 76 Posts

Sirius is dying a slow painful death due to competition from the increasing number of available superior music services. Unfortunately, they have chosen to take their frustration out on their few remaining customers. GM would be doing itself a favor by discontinuing offering Sirius service with new cars.
Personally, I would listen to AM radio if Sirius was the only other option.

Quick Reply: GM Needs to Assist Its New Customers with the Sirius Subscription GM "Gave Us"