Sponsored by:

Spring Mountain/Ron Fellows 3 day review

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 07:29 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Default Spring Mountain/Ron Fellows 3 day review

We are a day away from getting back home but my wife and I just did the 3 day Ron Fellows Corvette driving school.

I used my coupon, extended an extra day and bought her the same package.

My first comment is I generally have very high expectations, especially if advertising or price means I should have them. In this case its both advertising and price that would justify that.

Minus one little hiccup they really do live up to the hype. The facility is spotless, I swear someone comes out at night and puts the little rocks from the landscaping back in place.

The rooms are for the most part better than hotels up to $350-$400 a night on a non-special/holiday. They are a steal at the price they rent them for.

The cars are impeccably taken care of. The wet skid pad car was a '14 that looks well worn but I suspect they keep 2 of those cars just for the wet skid pad since it see's a ton of abuse. Our track and other cars were spotless. I believe they are all 2LT Z51's, but only one or two had MRC which is changing when the '16's come in I'm told.

The car I drove for my track time was a MRC car. I work in a field where efficiency and timing is important and they really do have it down. For such a large organization easily one of the most organized places I have seen from the moment you sit down to the moment you leave.

I had a lot of track experience ahead of time so Day 1 and morning of Day 2 were yawners, some of the exercises were useful like the oval and blind turning but the shifting exercise was insanely repetitive. I know why they do it but it was 60 minutes of accelerating in a circle

The track sure does seem to be designed exactly for the C7. We were lucky enough to be on the long track, if you go, make sure you ask for the long track. I do not know if I would have been as impressed if were on the short track.

It has a good variety and some difficult long arcing curves that require a good amount of faith in the car. Not until I got over the idea that the stock tires were doing something that only a slick generally does did I get faster through those area's.

Definitely do the 3 day for the extra track time and open track time.

I only had one real complaint. They had an instructor doing the wet skid pad that we never saw anywhere else. Not even close to the rest of the instructors. Don't want to get into the specifics but neither of us were impressed.

The rest of the instructors were fantastic. There was some disagreement in certain aspects of driving but overall very professional and knowledgeable. I hate classroom stuff of any kind but they kept things interesting and were very passionate about what they did. Not one or two of them, all of them.

That takes a certain kind of leadership to keep a group that large, that motivated, day after day, with students that I'm sure are hard to deal with.

We had the added bonus that Ron was in town, so he did a few talks with us and made himself available. Also they were shooting all new promo advertising so we will be in a lot of the stuff, they seem to focus totally on our group.

If you are not a totally novice driver it can be a bit frustrating. Most everyone there was a novice and thats why they were there so it did not bother me much but be aware if your going there strictly to get track time, that is not the place to do it. I think out of the 60-70 laps you do I got in 2-3 clean laps without traffic.

Even with 30-45 second gaps by the 3rd and 4th corner I was back in traffic, now that is better than it sounds since corner 3 is about 1/3rd of the way into the course. But even with passing in the last session you cannot get a good lap time in.

That is not a complaint, its partially what I expected but if your dropping $3,500 expecting to get clean track time unless your entire group is pretty quick that will not happen.

I was wondering about how the brakes on the C7 would hold up. Given that you barely use them they held up great. There are 2 decent stops, end of the straight where I hit 108-110 and turn 3 where you can just touch 90mph. The straight your dropping about 20mph for the turn, turn 3 about 30 percent of your speed. The rest your barely touching the brakes so they hold up very well.

The tires are incredible. I mean they are good on the street but lap after lap they were insanely consistent. They gave up in the same manner when cold every first lap out but after they got hot amazing for a street tire. I drove to Spring Mountain from Michigan on the same tires, in the cold, warm, rain, etc, then to have them perform like that on track is unreal.

Hindsight I would skip the insurance buy down. That lets you buy down from $8000 to $2000 of responsible cosmetic external damage. First the worst your going to do is drive off track and screw up the front fascia, I bet the bill not come to $2000 in the first place. We did buy it, but that was before going out on track. Not saying the track is not technical but if your not an idiot or trying to be a hero its nearly impossible to screw things up, and if you do I doubt the bill would exceed 2K anyways.

In dealing with traffic my best time was 1:57 on the long track. They told me 1:55 was a good time but with limited track time and traffic never got a chance. An instructor around there turns a 1:45 to 1:47.

I did a 1:59, then a 1:57. I had to pass someone the next lap and went in too hot to the first turn so I backed it down and was going to gather myself for the following lap to make sure I had room and they called the session.

They do not call time remaining on the sessions, something I asked them to change so unfortunately did not get another shot at it.

There is a good 5+ seconds in turns 1-2. Probably another 2-3 in 8-9-10, which are all in the same 60' span of track.

There were 3 of us turning similar times, one of them a Z06, but the rest of the group was good 20+ seconds slower.

Not a knock against anyone, for most this was their first time out and I knew what I was signing up for, but just for others to be aware. Everyone had a good time and was extremely friendly courteous both on and off track.

If your a Z06 owner I wonder how much more you really get out of it. The track is so short in spots that I don't think a Z06 would turn much better of a time. Only one place to use the power and the brakes, the straight. The rest of the track the Z06 was neck and neck but would hit an easy 20+mph on the front straight, then had the brakes to slow from 130mph.

A really good driver with experience would probably turn a better time in a Z06 but a novice not sure you will see a big difference, you'd have to really make use of the traction difference in the tires but they run with the run flats, not the Cup tires.

Considering doing Level 2. I really was not a big fan of the track layout but that is personal preference. The big sweepers never felt comfortable in someone else's car without a lot of time getting used to them.

I have some pics and need to get the PDR video sorted out to post.
The following 3 users liked this post by NoOne:
$Bill (10-27-2015), Boiler_81 (10-29-2015), Torchsport (10-26-2015)
Old 10-23-2015, 07:40 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Nice review! Being a novice, it sounds like a great place to get some of the fundamentals learned to build on. Thanks!
Old 10-23-2015, 09:01 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

You would be amazed what the Z06 can do. I was in Group 1 (fast group) but I (and the instructor) were the only Z51s, the other 3 cars were Z06s, so I was chasing them for a day and a half. The advantage on the straights is obvious but the extra width and tires makes a significant difference in the turns too.

Once we got to open track (and I got rid of a mental block I had to a couple of the turns) I was running consistent 1:57s and 1:58s. Another day and I suspect I could have gotten 4-5 seconds off of that. Fun non-the-less.

FYI: For level 2 they modify that track layout a little bit, they extend the long straight/pit straight corner section.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:07 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Jay_Davis
You would be amazed what the Z06 can do. I was in Group 1 (fast group) but I (and the instructor) were the only Z51s, the other 3 cars were Z06s, so I was chasing them for a day and a half. The advantage on the straights is obvious but the extra width and tires makes a significant difference in the turns too.

Once we got to open track (and I got rid of a mental block I had to a couple of the turns) I was running consistent 1:57s and 1:58s. Another day and I suspect I could have gotten 4-5 seconds off of that. Fun non-the-less.

FYI: For level 2 they modify that track layout a little bit, they extend the long straight/pit straight corner section.
I think the grouping was part of the problem. I switched with someone to be in the morning sessions with my wife, they originally had me in Group 1, then never got switched back.
Old 10-24-2015, 06:38 PM
TorontoC6
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay_Davis
I also attended the Level 1 class this past week at Spring Mountain.

Which was group 1 or fast group? Was it the upper paddock group or the lower paddock group? I was in the upper paddock group driving a red C7 Z51 (#11).

I enjoyed the course. I prefer track time (open lapping) but the I appreciated the exercises as it allowed me to improve three key techniques (heel/toe, trail braking or 'balancing', and throttle steer). Given the new (to me) track, the lead follow was good for learning the line. Even better was the ride along with the instructors - that helped me learn turns 1, 2, and 8 and how to keep speed through those turns.

I thought all the instructors were very good. Given the disparity of experience in our class (novices to experienced) they addressed everyone's needs and I witnessed how they adapted to one individual who was struggling on day 2 (slowed pace down, gave extra pointers, and motivated the student to keep going). I am also impressed with their ability to drive at pace, watch the mirrors, provide commentary and feedback to multiple cars, and shift gears all at the same time. I would have been plowing up the desert on the first turn if I tried to do that.

As for lap times, I was able to turn 1:54's in the first session in the afternoon of the third day and then 1.52's in the last session of the day. There was room for improvement but that's motivation to return for Level 2 next year.

I would have liked to try the C7 Z06 but because I don't own one, that was not an option for me.
Old 10-24-2015, 06:49 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TorontoC6
I also attended the Level 1 class this past week at Spring Mountain.

Which was group 1 or fast group? Was it the upper paddock group or the lower paddock group? I was in the upper paddock group driving a red C7 Z51 (#11).
The group you were in was the faster group. I was originally placed in the faster group and switched with you to be in the same group as my wife. I think I was the fastest in the lower group at 1:57. There was a lot more out there but that was done with only 2 clean runs.

I should have switched back.

I think I could have gotten down to 1:54-1:55. I just need more laps to progress in 1-2-3. I don't think I would have found the time in 7-8-9, at least not consistently.

If you can get both down 1:52's are pretty attainable. Makes me wonder where the instructors are getting the other 5-7 seconds.

Getting below 1:50 I think would get too close to spending the deductible in some spots

Even the 2 clean runs still involved a pass on the straight so I was out full out until I saw they were cleanly pulled over to the right.

Need a good 10-15 laps clean to get the whole thing down.

Last edited by NoOne; 10-24-2015 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-24-2015, 08:02 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

You guys had an advantage, better weather. For us it was 98 degrees (I can only imagine the pavement temp) so the tires were getting pretty slick by the afternoon.

Then again, today I was on the track here and it topped out at 46 degrees. Opposite problem. On the bright side, the transmission wasn't overheating.
Old 10-25-2015, 12:12 PM
TorontoC6
Racer

Originally Posted by NoOne
The group you were in was the faster group. I was originally placed in the faster group and switched with you to be in the same group as my wife. I think I was the fastest in the lower group at 1:57. There was a lot more out there but that was done with only 2 clean runs.

I should have switched back.

I think I could have gotten down to 1:54-1:55. I just need more laps to progress in 1-2-3. I don't think I would have found the time in 7-8-9, at least not consistently.

If you can get both down 1:52's are pretty attainable. Makes me wonder where the instructors are getting the other 5-7 seconds.

Getting below 1:50 I think would get too close to spending the deductible in some spots

Even the 2 clean runs still involved a pass on the straight so I was out full out until I saw they were cleanly pulled over to the right.

Need a good 10-15 laps clean to get the whole thing down.
Thanks again for switching so that I could be in the same group as my friend Mark (not sure why they split us up and put me in the slow group). Sorry that the other group did not provide opportunities for clean laps. I agree that sub 1:50's would require big cojones and a minimal deductible.

You do need a full speed run down the back straight to get a good time. I was able to hit 120 mph on the back straight.

I will post my last session video.
Old 10-25-2015, 01:22 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TorontoC6
Thanks again for switching so that I could be in the same group as my friend Mark (not sure why they split us up and put me in the slow group). Sorry that the other group did not provide opportunities for clean laps. I agree that sub 1:50's would require big cojones and a minimal deductible.

You do need a full speed run down the back straight to get a good time. I was able to hit 120 mph on the back straight.

I will post my last session video.
Wow that is some serious speed on the back straight. My best was 112 but waiting for a pass.

After watching my PDR video's I'm going to suggest to them that they provide SD cards and do PDR reviews.

The 2 hardest parts of the track, coming off the straight and into Turn 1 both are at WOT. Trying to hear them talk and being at WOT in Track mode is impossible.

I thought I was turning in OK but watching the PDR video I can see how late I was turning in on both. I personally think a video review would have been a lot more helpful than some of the in car commentary since they could illustrate on the screen where we should have been going pretty easily.

No big deal switching. I've run a ton of track days and really wanted to make sure my wife got more out of it than me. I was pretty happy overall with the entire deal. If I had not gotten the big discount from Chevy then I would have wanted to get more out of it.

Got her interested enough to decide what route she wants to go with on a car. She wants a summer car and if she liked tracking it she was going to go with some more more track centric versus something like a Camaro.

Going to start Boxster S shopping for picking up something in the spring.
Old 10-25-2015, 04:43 PM
C7s
Burning Brakes

Received 274 Likes on 127 Posts

I'm going to the 2 day class in 2 weeks. Trying to find out what size memory card I need to bring for PDR. How much track time do you get?
Old 10-25-2015, 05:09 PM
TorontoC6
Racer

Originally Posted by C7s
I'm going to the 2 day class in 2 weeks. Trying to find out what size memory card I need to bring for PDR. How much track time do you get?
Bring a 32 Gig Class 10 card. Don't buy a 64 Gig, it won't work. They offer them at the resort for about $45. We went to Walmart and paid $20.

As for track time, not much on day 1 (2 lead follow sessions if I remember correctly). Day 2 is more (3 or 4 lead follow sessions). Day 3 is 3 open lapping sessions (first one with instructor in car for a few laps) + one lead follow with students doing the leading. Sessions average around 20 minutes but these include warm up and cool down.
Old 10-25-2015, 06:54 PM
TorontoC6
Racer

Here's the video from last session on third day

Old 10-25-2015, 07:25 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Great run.

Comparing yours to mine you held about 4mph higher through turns 1-2, which translated into about 4mph more coming into 3.

The rest of the track pretty much identical to my runs. One thing, on the turn before 5A/5B you took more the line that I was taking, but they insisted on coming out more. I tried it both ways and did not see a big difference.

Same with my line on 8-9-10, pretty much identical how I did it, but they say come out more. I took the line I did to ensure if something went wrong I had room on track and not go off roading.

Seems like if you came in too hot and took their line not much room if you spin, if you have to pull the car back in you can't use the brakes otherwise for you would spin for sure since the angle is so severe, or at least do quite a slide coming into 9-10.

Just not enough track time to get the confidence up in that corner.

Now that I think about it a track walk from 7 to 3 would have been a good idea too, the car can do it and maybe having an outside visual reference of the track would help, seems pretty small at those high entry speeds.
Old 10-25-2015, 07:27 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Originally Posted by C7s
If you want track time, see if you can swing the 3rd day. It is definitely worth it. You get way more track time than just in the 2 day. Pretty much all day is track time minus the morning shifting exercise.
Old 10-25-2015, 07:46 PM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

What is the cost for the 'discount for Corvette purchase / 2-day event', and the total price to upgrade to the 3-day package ??
Old 10-25-2015, 08:32 PM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Received 1,013 Likes on 365 Posts

If you use the PRD, make sure you learn the settings and set your PRD up to record what you like. There are a number of codices speed, G's, RPM, ET, and others I forget. A couple of cars I drove didn't have the PDR settings like and didn't find out until I played the back later.

32gb, class 10 SD card is plenty. Got mine super cheap at Fry's.

I went in May when it was in the 70's. Saw 114 mph on the back straight a few times. Most of the laps I saw 110-112 mph. All depends how much speed you start with exiting the corner at the start of the straight.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:50 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Originally Posted by EvilBoffin
What is the cost for the 'discount for Corvette purchase / 2-day event', and the total price to upgrade to the 3-day package ??
I believe it was around $2,500. $1000 for the normal 2 day and $1,500 for day 3, but that may have included the extra nights in the condo too. I'd have to look it up.

Get notified of new replies

To Spring Mountain/Ron Fellows 3 day review

Old 10-26-2015, 01:28 PM
socalspringmountain
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 418 Likes on 186 Posts

We are a day away from getting back home but my wife and I just did the 3 day Ron Fellows Corvette driving school.

I used my coupon, extended an extra day and bought her the same package.

My first comment is I generally have very high expectations, especially if advertising or price means I should have them. In this case its both advertising and price that would justify that.

Minus one little hiccup they really do live up to the hype. The facility is spotless, I swear someone comes out at night and puts the little rocks from the landscaping back in place.

The rooms are for the most part better than hotels up to $350-$400 a night on a non-special/holiday. They are a steal at the price they rent them for.

The cars are impeccably taken care of. The wet skid pad car was a '14 that looks well worn but I suspect they keep 2 of those cars just for the wet skid pad since it see's a ton of abuse. Our track and other cars were spotless. I believe they are all 2LT Z51's, but only one or two had MRC which is changing when the '16's come in I'm told.

The car I drove for my track time was a MRC car. I work in a field where efficiency and timing is important and they really do have it down. For such a large organization easily one of the most organized places I have seen from the moment you sit down to the moment you leave.

I had a lot of track experience ahead of time so Day 1 and morning of Day 2 were yawners, some of the exercises were useful like the oval and blind turning but the shifting exercise was insanely repetitive. I know why they do it but it was 60 minutes of accelerating in a circle

The track sure does seem to be designed exactly for the C7. We were lucky enough to be on the long track, if you go, make sure you ask for the long track. I do not know if I would have been as impressed if were on the short track.

It has a good variety and some difficult long arcing curves that require a good amount of faith in the car. Not until I got over the idea that the stock tires were doing something that only a slick generally does did I get faster through those area's.

Definitely do the 3 day for the extra track time and open track time.

I only had one real complaint. They had an instructor doing the wet skid pad that we never saw anywhere else. Not even close to the rest of the instructors. Don't want to get into the specifics but neither of us were impressed.

The rest of the instructors were fantastic. There was some disagreement in certain aspects of driving but overall very professional and knowledgeable. I hate classroom stuff of any kind but they kept things interesting and were very passionate about what they did. Not one or two of them, all of them.

That takes a certain kind of leadership to keep a group that large, that motivated, day after day, with students that I'm sure are hard to deal with.

We had the added bonus that Ron was in town, so he did a few talks with us and made himself available. Also they were shooting all new promo advertising so we will be in a lot of the stuff, they seem to focus totally on our group.

If you are not a totally novice driver it can be a bit frustrating. Most everyone there was a novice and thats why they were there so it did not bother me much but be aware if your going there strictly to get track time, that is not the place to do it. I think out of the 60-70 laps you do I got in 2-3 clean laps without traffic.

Even with 30-45 second gaps by the 3rd and 4th corner I was back in traffic, now that is better than it sounds since corner 3 is about 1/3rd of the way into the course. But even with passing in the last session you cannot get a good lap time in.

That is not a complaint, its partially what I expected but if your dropping $3,500 expecting to get clean track time unless your entire group is pretty quick that will not happen.

I was wondering about how the brakes on the C7 would hold up. Given that you barely use them they held up great. There are 2 decent stops, end of the straight where I hit 108-110 and turn 3 where you can just touch 90mph. The straight your dropping about 20mph for the turn, turn 3 about 30 percent of your speed. The rest your barely touching the brakes so they hold up very well.

The tires are incredible. I mean they are good on the street but lap after lap they were insanely consistent. They gave up in the same manner when cold every first lap out but after they got hot amazing for a street tire. I drove to Spring Mountain from Michigan on the same tires, in the cold, warm, rain, etc, then to have them perform like that on track is unreal.

Hindsight I would skip the insurance buy down. That lets you buy down from $8000 to $2000 of responsible cosmetic external damage. First the worst your going to do is drive off track and screw up the front fascia, I bet the bill not come to $2000 in the first place. We did buy it, but that was before going out on track. Not saying the track is not technical but if your not an idiot or trying to be a hero its nearly impossible to screw things up, and if you do I doubt the bill would exceed 2K anyways.

In dealing with traffic my best time was 1:57 on the long track. They told me 1:55 was a good time but with limited track time and traffic never got a chance. An instructor around there turns a 1:45 to 1:47.

I did a 1:59, then a 1:57. I had to pass someone the next lap and went in too hot to the first turn so I backed it down and was going to gather myself for the following lap to make sure I had room and they called the session.

They do not call time remaining on the sessions, something I asked them to change so unfortunately did not get another shot at it.

There is a good 5+ seconds in turns 1-2. Probably another 2-3 in 8-9-10, which are all in the same 60' span of track.

There were 3 of us turning similar times, one of them a Z06, but the rest of the group was good 20+ seconds slower.

Not a knock against anyone, for most this was their first time out and I knew what I was signing up for, but just for others to be aware. Everyone had a good time and was extremely friendly courteous both on and off track.

If your a Z06 owner I wonder how much more you really get out of it. The track is so short in spots that I don't think a Z06 would turn much better of a time. Only one place to use the power and the brakes, the straight. The rest of the track the Z06 was neck and neck but would hit an easy 20+mph on the front straight, then had the brakes to slow from 130mph.

A really good driver with experience would probably turn a better time in a Z06 but a novice not sure you will see a big difference, you'd have to really make use of the traction difference in the tires but they run with the run flats, not the Cup tires.

Considering doing Level 2. I really was not a big fan of the track layout but that is personal preference. The big sweepers never felt comfortable in someone else's car without a lot of time getting used to them.

Hi!
much appreciate the feedback! as always, we do our very best to provide everyone with a fantastic experience, and welcome honest critiquing from all of our clients.
for anyone coming out to see us, we always request that you ask questions, talk to your instructor or the chief here, whenever you have any issues with an exercise, track time, and especially grouping.
thanks again!

The Official Performance Driving School Of Corvette
www.racespringmountain.com
victor@racespringmountain.com
800-391-6891

Old 10-26-2015, 02:30 PM
75Brickie
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Spring Mountain

The video is too cool!

I'll be there with a group this week (Wed./Thurs.) - looking forward to it!
Old 10-30-2015, 11:15 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 520 Likes on 358 Posts

Here is a lead follow session and the instructor was kind enough to allow for a little speed. 1:51.3

Here is my video of a level 3 layout

Last edited by cagotzmann; 10-30-2015 at 11:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Spring Mountain/Ron Fellows 3 day review